PDA

View Full Version : Four season solo tent

redheadedhiker674
01-13-2012, 01:21
Does anyone know of a four season solo tent or has had experience with one? I seem to only be able to find 3.5 season solo tents or 2 person 4 season tents. I am getting increasingly more frustrated and disappointed with my search for one. Would carrying a 2 person 4 season tent be completely awful? Any and all help is appreciated. :)

Two Tents
01-13-2012, 01:40
Kelty Quartz. Heavy but a true 4 season solo. The solo or Quartz 1 has been discontinued. You may still find one in stock somewhere. I have one and it really does well. The thing vents like mad and is freestanding. It is heavy that's the only bad I can say about it. I think it is close to 5 lbs. It has enough room for me and my lab. I can sit up and we're not cramped. Big vestibule too. Bummer it was discontinued. The Quartz 2 is stiil around but even bigger and heavier.

Wil
01-13-2012, 02:31
Does anyone know of a four season solo tent or has had experience with one?I mostly use an older Stephenson Warmlite 2X as my Winter tent. I like a lot of room in the Winter and at 2 pounds 10 oz. total it's not all that heavy.

I've been lucky with wind (probably sustained no more than 45-50 mph and gusts 70-75) and no more than a foot-and-a-half of snow overnight, but I've never felt I was anywhere near the limit of the tent's capabilities. I think the tent has been used on Everest, at the hiker's own expense because Jack never believed in comping them for expedition publicity or for reviews.

No question it frosts up unless you get a breeze for ventilation, but it's so big I never come in contact with the top or sides. In the morning it mostly shakes out and if you can get 15 minutes or so of sun it sublimates out. I don't love the condensation, and I'm not looking forward with _huge_ confidence to my first exposure to 100 mph winds or 2-3 feet of fast wet snow, but it's served me well.

BrianLe
01-13-2012, 08:47
Given that this question is posted in the thru-hiker topics forum, it seems a little gonzo to me to be thinking about a four season tent. If you're not in winter conditions, you definitely don't want the weight. If you are thru-hiking in winter conditions, there will always be room in the shelters. Go light with your shelter, and IMO particularly so if you're going early season and can pretty much count on having shelter space available. In the unlikely situation that you can't sleep in a shelter, then sure you want some sort of shelter with you, but a tarp would work just fine there. Maybe add a very light bivy sack (?) if you have one (I did, and on one and only one night when fluffy snow was wafting into the shelter I dug it out and used it).

I actually started the trail in late Feb with a poncho tarp as my only shelter and raingear; I changed however before the Smokies as early season for me equated to "lots of blowdowns" so the poncho aspect wasn't so great in rain or snow. But in any case I just don't see the logic of a thru-hiker bringing a four-season tent.

canoehead
01-13-2012, 08:55
Check out Bibler tents. 4 season bombprooof mountaineering tens. Not cheap but great.

Nitrojoe
01-13-2012, 13:32
I have a four season tent that I used during my PCT thru hike. The name of the outfitter is Hildeberg and there out of Norway. The solo tent that i have is called an Akato. Its bullet proof in the worst weather especiallly when i was in Washinton state during the cold and heavy rains. Its weight is four pounds,but you can unhook the inner wall and have a single wall tent with an attached ground sheet and its weight comes down to two pounds. With this tent you have no worries. Price is high but your getting high quality craftmenship and as my dad always said " you get what you pay for:. I use this tent during colder months as a four season tent and strip it down to a three season tent during the warmer months. Go on line and check out Hideberg.

Tinker
01-13-2012, 13:57
I have a four season tent that I used during my PCT thru hike. The name of the outfitter is Hildeberg and there out of Norway. The solo tent that i have is called an Akato. Its bullet proof in the worst weather especiallly when i was in Washinton state during the cold and heavy rains. Its weight is four pounds,but you can unhook the inner wall and have a single wall tent with an attached ground sheet and its weight comes down to two pounds. With this tent you have no worries. Price is high but your getting high quality craftmenship and as my dad always said " you get what you pay for:. I use this tent during colder months as a four season tent and strip it down to a three season tent during the warmer months. Go on line and check out Hideberg.

Hilleberg Akto: http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/akto/akto.php
I own one. Very stuffy in hot weather with the non-mesh inner. Frost forms inside the inner tent in sub-freezing temps (only one vent - no real air flow possible - needs a redesign). It's a little cramped inside, but I can sit up in it (5'10" - 220 lbs.). It handles wind very well if guyed properly (because it's aerodynamically sound), but with only one pole you have to knock snow off before it gets too heavy in a big winter dump or the tent will collapse - not a problem if you are in it, big problem if you are off exploring somewhere. A heavier duty pole is available for deep winter use.
It is extremely well made (they just need to update it for ventilation, and, for goodness sake, redesign the door on the inner tent so it hangs from the top when open - if you don't push the door to the inside when you open it, the zipper will end up on the ground outside - not best for the life of the teeth or slider.
The vestibule runs the whole length of the tent and is about 2/3 the depth of the inner tent - tons of storage room.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/dsc01428_thumb.jpg[/URL ([URL]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38717)]