PDA

View Full Version : My NOBO Thru Gear List

BenLeaman
01-13-2012, 01:53
Just booked my flight to Atlanta this evening and I am admittedly getting excited. I'm flying out on the 9th of March to be on the Trail the 10th. I have researched a lot and tested most of this gear over the last few years and I think I have everything sorted out. I kind of hate to post this since there's soooo many of these threads on a regular basis but I figured it could be beneficial. There may be something I'm missing in there and maybe stuff that's unneeded. Everything in the list is in my possession other than the '12 Guidebook, maps, Aquamira and Goretex socks. I have been eating cold the last couple times out and I am starting the hike with that as the plan. Please feel free to question anything listed.

********Pack********
Hand-Me-Down GoLite Jam (made some weight saving mods)
Garbage Disposal Bag
Stuff Sack for Clothing

********Tent********
MSR Hubba Tent & Fly
Homemade Tyvek Footprint
2 MSR Al Tent Stakes
Stuff Sack

********Sleeping********
20* Kifaru Bag
Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite 3/4 Sleeping Pad
Exped Air Pillow

********Food********
Ursack Minor Food Bag
LMF Ti Spork
50' Spectra Cord
2L Platypus Hoser bladder (clean)
2 1L Platypus Bag (dirty)
Aqua Mira

********Hygiene********
Bandanna x2
1 oz Dr. Bronners
Small Toothbrush
Small Toothpaste
Floss
Chapstick
TP
Nail Clippers
Ziplock Bags

********Repair/First Aid********
Gorilla Tape
Fabric Repair Kit (thread, needle, hole patch kit)
Human Repair Kit (bandaids, alcohol wipes, 3x antibiotic ointment, travel size packets of OTC meds)

********Clothing Worn (all synthetic)********
Target C9 T Shirt
REI Shorts
UA Underwear
Target C9 Socks
Merrill Trail Gloves
Hat

********Spare Clothing, In Pack (all synthetic)********
Target C9 T Shirt
Mizuno Mesh Shorts
UA Underwear
Target C9 Socks

********Clothing for Cool********
Patagonia Capilene3 Long Sleeve
Patagonia Capilene3 Pants

********Clothing for Cold, In Pack********
Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover
REI Medium Wool Socks
UA Fleece Beanie
Nike Fleece Gloves
Goretex Socks (might get some, MIGHT)

********Rain Gear********
Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket
Hand-Me-Down Arcteryx Rampage Pants

********Misc********
BlackBerry Torch
BB Charger
Canon ELPH 300 HS Camera
Camera Charger
iPod Nano
iPod Charger Cord (can share transformer with BB)
2012 Guide Book pages, as appropriate
Maps, as appropriate
Paper
Pen
Bic Lighter x2
Little Baggy of Homemade Fire Starter
Spyderco Pocket Knife
Petzl Tikka Headlamp
Spare AAA Batteries
Foamy Earplugs

Sidebar: I plan to wear Merrill Trail Gloves for the hike. From experience, they get pretty cold in cold weather. This is where the GT socks come into play. I am thinking about picking up a pair of them to try out the first week of Feb when I'm hiking from DWG in PA to Greenwood Lake in NY. Please chime in on them.

Please feel free to question anything listed.
Thanks,
Ben

TOMP
01-13-2012, 02:47
I think you should reconsider eating cold, a hot meal or cup of tea goes a long way especially with a march start. I used to hike stoveless and dont regret the switch. My cook system is 2.5 oz stove, 6.5 oz kettle, 8.0 oz fuel, 0.6 oz spork. If you go alcohol it could easily be half that. Just curious about how much pack weight do you have now? Im starting on the 12th see you on the trail.

BrianLe
01-13-2012, 08:41
I like this list a lot --- one of the very few that actually looks complete. I'm much more inclined to look at someone's gear list if I feel like they've done the upfront work first, i.e., that they're not asking me to review for completeness.

In terms of eating cold, I'd suggest that you have a stove available to mail to you but indeed start out cold. I started in late Feb and my two hiking partners at cold the whole way and were happy; this year on another trail I started out for the first thousand miles eating cold, and that was starting in the snow. I liked that approach a lot. So different views from different folks, figure out what makes you happy.

Goretex socks: I've used them, to include starting Feb 25th on the AT. I liked them, in combination with trail runners. You can do without them, the wool socks are the real key, but I'd be inclined to bring them.

Do you already own your cap 3 long shirt and longjohns? I personally am a fan of cap 1, as I just can't hike in something much warmer generally. I.e., I prefer the lighter cap 1 which I presume dries faster from body heat and gain extra warmth as needed from layering something else.

To that end, you might find yourself on the cold side starting out. You might not too, but a 20F bag with just a single foam pad under it and a nanopuff jacket will be on the lean side if you see temps down into the teens, which I did a few nights.
I'd also suggest that you see if you can find mittens rather than gloves --- just flat warmer. Later on gloves will be fine. OTOH, if you have spare wool socks you can use those for the first few weeks, but you'll definitely want a thick pair of wool socks kept dry to sleep in.

Ah, caveat on the cap 3 pants --- I see that you just wear shorts as outerwear. I wear long pants (typical REI type trail pants) so don't know what you would want to layer under those on your legs.

You might consider getting something in your first aid kit for the rare-but-possible catastrophic wound --- such as something to absorb blood (feminine hygene products work well here for the weight). There's also the first aid stuff that you might actually use --- immodium, maybe benedryl or the like. Note that you can buy travel sized antibiotic ointment too, though this can be somewhat dual use so maybe you want a modest tube.

Great looking list, you've clearly thought about this; best wishes for a great trip.

Spokes
01-13-2012, 10:28
Looks good. I agree with TOMP on considering an achy stove. You'll know what I mean about 2 weeks in. Compare your list to this tried and true one from pack guru Winton Porter. Ignore the pop-ups. Add a trash compactor bag for a liner. Be sure to let the fine folks at Mountain Crossings do a free shakedown when you get to Neels Gap.
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Cheers

BenLeaman
01-13-2012, 14:36
An edit to the above list: For some reason I wrote a garbage disposal bag for my pack liner?? I did mean to write trash compactor bag. I have no idea how I overlooked it so many times, ha.

Tom, Brian and Spokes: Thanks for the advice on the stove. I do in fact have a Caldera Keg here at home that, if desired, my girlfriend can send me. I am starting off without it. If I decide I can't go without, I'll have Sarah and the USPS help me out with that.

My first aid does consist of single serving packages of Immodium, Benedryl, Iboprof., 3x Antibiotic, Alcohol Wipes and so on. I guess major bleeding isn't covered too well.

The Cap3 stuff is new too me. I had previously used "waffle" long johns. They will be my external pants but if it's windy or extra cold the rain pants go over top too.

Here is the weight of what will be in my pack (minus food and water) and I think I may be missing about ~ 8oz of stuff from my list in the spreadsheet but it will give you an idea...

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5195

Anymore advice or questions? I like this!

MissMagnolia
01-15-2012, 13:39
Do you have a flashlight?

BenLeaman
01-22-2012, 18:07
The flashlight I would bring is a Streamlight Stylus Pro. Kind of seems redundant with a headlamp and a flashlight but they both run on AAAs so that's a plus. Haven't decided on any reason not to bring it so, in the end, it will probably come along for the ride.

BenLeaman
02-27-2012, 01:56
Swapped to a ULA Circuit pack (tits!). The GoLite was uncomfortable due to it not being sized properly (it is Large and I am a medium torso) and it was stuffed tight with all gear inside.

Ditched the Goretex socks idea since Merrell released the Goretex Trail Glove.:cool: Also ditched the 2L "clean" water bladder for Gatorade bottles. Still planning on eating cold with the option of a stove if desired. Purely a curiosity thing.

Picked up the '12 Guidebook and AquaMira. I just need some maps.

Should I get the full size ones from the ATC or is there a better/lighter/CHEAPER option out there?

cabbagehead
02-27-2012, 16:10
recommendations:

add:
long underwear that fits well
a durable dry sack for your sleeping bag (put the bag at the bottom of the pack)
bug repellent
a couple microcarabiners (less than 2" long) They are good for hanging animal bags, attaching shoes to your pack in regions that are best traveled barefoot, attaching an mp3 player to a shoulder strap, etc.
pack cover
hiking poles: If they are aluminum, choose a heat treated 7000 series alloy, such as 7075.
head net

subtract:
pants (if you have shorts and long underwear)
the 2nd pair of shorts
the 2nd T-shirt
garbage bag
You might want to get rid of the patch kit, but keep the needle and thread.
bandannas
chapstick
nail clippers

recommendations:

You can stop mosquitoes and ticks with thin fabric that has been heavily treated with permethrin. This will reduce the amount of deet you need to use.
A long handle spoon might be better than a spork. It will allow you to reach the bottom of a fish packet.
I recommend water bladders instead of bottles. You should have 3 water containers.
It is common for supposedly water proof items to not be waterproof. You may have to do waterproofing.

whadd99
02-27-2012, 22:20
Out of curiosity how did you cut out 9oz. from the Jam?

Firefighter503
02-28-2012, 00:35
Dont worry about picking up maps. The guidebook will suffice.

BenLeaman
02-28-2012, 09:55
recommendations:

add:
long underwear that fits well - Wouldn't the Patagonia Capilene stuff fit that role?
a durable dry sack for your sleeping bag (put the bag at the bottom of the pack) - going to REI with my bag today
bug repellent - have it but haven't remembered to put it on the list yet
a couple microcarabiners (less than 2" long) They are good for hanging animal bags, attaching shoes to your pack in regions that are best traveled barefoot, attaching an mp3 player to a shoulder strap, etc.
pack cover
hiking poles: If they are aluminum, choose a heat treated 7000 series alloy, such as 7075.
head net

subtract:
pants (if you have shorts and long underwear) - I was planning on using these whilst in colder weather to keep legs dry, send 'em home once warm weather arrives
the 2nd pair of shorts
the 2nd T-shirt
garbage bag - It's my pack liner?
You might want to get rid of the patch kit, but keep the needle and thread.
bandannas
chapstick
nail clippers

recommendations:

You can stop mosquitoes and ticks with thin fabric that has been heavily treated with permethrin. This will reduce the amount of deet you need to use.
A long handle spoon might be better than a spork. It will allow you to reach the bottom of a fish packet. - good point
I recommend water bladders instead of bottles. You should have 3 water containers. - interesting what do you like better about bladders?
It is common for supposedly water proof items to not be waterproof. You may have to do waterproofing.

My responses in blue above

Removed foam pad and now use my sleeping pad as back pad/support
Removed hydration bladder pocket and hanging strap
Removed all excess straps: shoulder, compression, hip belt were shortened to minimum usable length.
Removed all the loops on the bottom and sides of the pack

I don't have a before weight and I have since threw away the excess material so I can't guess what I started with.
What I can do is weigh the pack again to verify I have the correct, current, final weight listed in my geargrams calculation.

BrianLe
02-28-2012, 14:00
"Ditched the Goretex socks idea since Merrell released the Goretex Trail Glove."

Don't understand the relationship here --- the former is a waterproof oversock, the latter is a shoe.

?

BenLeaman
02-28-2012, 14:45
I was going to get the Goretex socks to wear inside my original Merrell Trail Gloves.
Recently, Merrell released a Goretex barefoot shoe, alleviating my need for a Goretex sock inside the shoe...

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/24666M/55979/Mens/Barefoot-Train-Embark-Glove-GORE-TEX

Does that help clear up my reasoning for you Brian?

I did try out the Cap3 stuff a little but it wasn't cold enough to wear the bottoms during the day (it's been very mild in PA this winter). I really liked them at night though.

BenLeaman
02-28-2012, 17:04

My apologies. The modified Jam is is 27.7oz, not 25oz as I indicated in the link.

takethisbread
03-03-2012, 07:11
For what it's worth I'm a non cooking hiker as well.

Advantages: less planning needed, lower base weight, and less time in camp.

Disadvantages: less varied diet, less warmth on chilly nights, no coffee , and you don't like Peanut butter and jelly burritos you gonna have a tough time, and on long stretches without ressupply your pack will be heavier than it would be with cooking gear.

For me it's about no fuss, roll into camp late, climb in my bag with a sandwich and a snack and go down. And in the morning get up and roll 15 minutes after waking up.

But I still long for a stove many nights, and suggest shipping the stove to maine when u do that section.

BenLeaman
03-05-2012, 19:28
Bread,
Thanks. I have found that I roll like you for my food.
I like PBJ very much. I hope by the end that I haven't ruined my love for it by over doing it hahaha