PDA

View Full Version : Starting NoBo in 9 weeks, a bit overwhelmed, will I have enough time to prepare?!

tortus
01-13-2012, 02:40
Hi, new here, and well lets just say I'm pretty overwhelmed at having the opportunity to follow my dream! My start day is 3/21/12! I have been reading, and reading some more. I haven't bought anything yet. Just making money to get me through the next six months while unemployed. I'm looking to go light (25lbs), but I haven't been hiking or camping in over ten years, and as I get older, comfort weight may sneak in.
The question keeping me awake: will nine weeks be enough time to prepare! Second, I am looking forward to getting away from electronics and technology, but I would love thoughts on the pro's and cons of bringing an iphone and or GPS. -Tortus

Mike2012
01-13-2012, 02:55
unemployed is such a dirty word

TOMP
01-13-2012, 03:10
I would definately bring a phone, there arent many pay phones left in America. If it plays music all the better. But I have heard people with smart phones worrying about battery life and if its a big problem I would consider a dumb phone, for me its not worth carrying an external battery back up or a solar charger. I also dont care about the internet when im hiking.

GPS is luxury item only and has no real use. It's a very easy trail to follow. I was thinking about bringing one until I had a look at my total weight and did some trimming. Its really all cons, you have the elevation in the guide and you can do simple math for the mph. Even if you have the AT trail software you will want a guide book for local town info, so I decided to just go with the guide.

9 weeks is plenty of time but I would get on buying gear like right now. Most people have had the majority of their gear for years and are extremely comfortable with it prior to a long distance hike. If you dont get it now you will be at a major disadvantage. You dont want to discover that gear doesnt work the way you thought it did while on the trail. If nothing else get your boots/ shoes now and break them in. Get your pack and make sure its comfy and get everything else to make sure it fits in the pack. Check geartrade.com and steepandcheap.com for half off items. There are alot of very detailed gear lists on here from people leaving NoBo in March use this resource. Go to your local bus station and weigh your pack when your done to see how much everything actually weighs, dont leave thinking you have 20 lbs, know that you do.

Good luck and see you on the trail.

Big Dawg
01-13-2012, 03:11
:welcome to WB!!! 9 weeks is plenty of time. Read, research, repeat! I've known plenty of people to wing it with a lot less time to prepare. Most of all, have fun!!!

edit...
Yes, bring you're iPhone. No, GPS not necessary.

weary
01-13-2012, 12:38
:welcome to WB!!! 9 weeks is plenty of time. Read, research, repeat! I've known plenty of people to wing it with a lot less time to prepare. Most of all, have fun!!!

edit...
Yes, bring you're iPhone. No, GPS not necessary.
A GPS is not only not necessary, it is mostly useless. A phone is useful mostly if you are leaving behind people you NEED to keep in contact with.

Jim Adams
01-13-2012, 12:42
first thru = 6 weeks prep.

second thru = 20 minutes prep.

...just don't over do it. It is mostly head games...everything else is walking and camping.

geek

The Cleaner
01-13-2012, 12:59
A GPS is not only not necessary, it is mostly useless. A phone is useful mostly if you are leaving behind people you NEED to keep in contact with. The App Accuterra works on the iphone using only GPS.It can show your location&elevation.It is a battery killer just use then power off....

4shot
01-13-2012, 13:10
9 weeks is enuff as others have said. One word of caution - this site has some great info but can overload a person with too much conflicting opinion - tent vs. tarp, boots vs. trail runners, this brand vs. that one. I mention this whenever this comes up - find someone who has thru-hiked. Ask for a hour or two of their time. Ask for their gear list and why they chose what they did. Did they swap gear along the way? Why? If you can't locate a past thruhiker on WB in your area, check out a local reputable outfitter (not a large sporting goods store). The REI nearest me had two guys who had thru-hiked and they were very helpful to me. I also spoke to another guy on the phone. I have helped a local guy who is planning a thru this spring. Don't spend a dime until you have a list of stuff then start buying. Don't worry about getting it 100% right as you can adjust as you hike. plenty of oppotunities to get into an outfitter along the way.The reason I suggest talking to a small number is that it provides focus and clarity rather than a bunch of conflicting opinions and you will be able to visualize what has worked for someone else.Plus you will be cerain that the person dispensing the expert advice has actually set foot on the trail as well... :>)

Think about your maildrops if you are doing them. If time is an issue they are certainly not necessary.

as others have said, the logistics aren't as difficult as one imagines prior to the hike but it's difficult to really understand that until after you have done it for yourself. if you are new or inexperienced by the 2nd or 3rd week you will have mastered all necessary "skills" and at that point, all that is left is a lot of walking and camping as was pointed out above.

campingfever
01-13-2012, 13:25
Bring a simple phone and use it as little as possible. Buy the 2012 trail guide from Awol Miller. Have your pack fitted to you by a quality outfitter who may have hiked the trail themselves. Take lots of pictures with a quality camera. I agree with the previous posts. ENJOY!!!

Cakon
01-13-2012, 13:45
This is some of the best advice I have seen on WB. Nice job.

I got lost my job on 2/3/10. I was on trail 2/28/10. I'm glad I didn't have much time to get ready. Whiteblaze just freaked me out. I stopped looking at it. Now that I've hiked the trail I think it is fun to look at it again. Have fun hiking!

9 weeks is enuff as others have said. One word of caution - this site has some great info but can overload a person with too much conflicting opinion - tent vs. tarp, boots vs. trail runners, this brand vs. that one. I mention this whenever this comes up - find someone who has thru-hiked. Ask for a hour or two of their time. Ask for their gear list and why they chose what they did. Did they swap gear along the way? Why? If you can't locate a past thruhiker on WB in your area, check out a local reputable outfitter (not a large sporting goods store). The REI nearest me had two guys who had thru-hiked and they were very helpful to me. I also spoke to another guy on the phone. I have helped a local guy who is planning a thru this spring. Don't spend a dime until you have a list of stuff then start buying. Don't worry about getting it 100% right as you can adjust as you hike. plenty of oppotunities to get into an outfitter along the way.The reason I suggest talking to a small number is that it provides focus and clarity rather than a bunch of conflicting opinions and you will be able to visualize what has worked for someone else.Plus you will be cerain that the person dispensing the expert advice has actually set foot on the trail as well... :>)

Think about your maildrops if you are doing them. If time is an issue they are certainly not necessary.

as others have said, the logistics aren't as difficult as one imagines prior to the hike but it's difficult to really understand that until after you have done it for yourself. if you are new or inexperienced by the 2nd or 3rd week you will have mastered all necessary "skills" and at that point, all that is left is a lot of walking and camping as was pointed out above.

RWheeler
01-13-2012, 14:21
Don't feel the need to plan out the entire trip.

Figure out what your budget is, what sort of balance for weight/comfort you want, and pick out gear bit by bit.

Don't be afraid to ask specific questions, and don't feel like you're asking too many questions. The forum is friendly and helpful. If you want to start by picking out a backpack, then ask about packs. If you want to start by figuring out your "kitchen", then ask about that.

It may be a lot of info, but it's a lot of little checkmarks :D

Don H
01-13-2012, 14:58
I think one of the most important things you can do to prepare for a thru is to make sure you choice of footwear is dialed in. Make sure you're happy with the type of shoe and that it fits. The only way you can do that is to buy what you think will work and start hiking with a pack long distances. I saw many people very uncomfortable wearing the wrong shoes. It took me probably 4 or 5 week long section hikes and three different brands before I was happy with my shoes. I stayed with the same set up throughout my hike (wore out 4 pairs of trail runners though). Trail runners or light hikers? Waterproof or not? Inserts or not? What brand, style, type, size? Lots of questions only you can answer.

Summit
01-13-2012, 16:59
Happy feet shoes, good quality light weight pack, tent, air mattress (or pad if your body can handle it), sleeping bag (not necessarily ultra UL), non-cotton layered clothing with wind-proof outer shell, 4-5 days worth of food and canister or alcohol stove, step out from Springer! You'll have plenty of time to fine tune and figure the rest out!

Nine weeks? That's eternity! Narrow down your choices for the big 4. Then look for sales/bargains. That often helps me make my choice between very similar products. Why haven't you started buying some items? You know a month after you buy xyz product, something better will come out but don't get caught in analysis paralysis!!!

tortus
01-13-2012, 18:00
Wow, thank you all for your very helpful advice! I am happy to find such good support.