PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pads

Tuckahoe
01-13-2012, 12:30
Hey Folks, I am currently looking to buy a new sleeping pad to replace the one that I am carrying now -- a 2 pound pluse x-large Trail-pro. Looking for something in the 16 ounce range (give or take a couple ounce) and especially sonething that packs small. Something along the lines of the Neoair. Any suggestions on possible options would be appreciated. What are you using and what are your pros and cons?

The Cleaner
01-13-2012, 13:04
Thermarest Prolite 4...

Bags4266
01-13-2012, 14:16
Kooka Bay, have it custom built to your size and temp.

TOMP
01-13-2012, 14:29
I used to use a small thermarest prolite pad but recently switched to the thermarest solite foam pad. I didnt notice a huge difference in comfort but I did notice a huge difference in price and weight. But I have heard people say they think prolites are more comfortable than a foam pad. Either way you will probably notice a big difference in comfort from what you are currently using.

daddytwosticks
01-13-2012, 17:01
I'm still using a TR Prolite 3 short from 2004. Patched it once. Packs to the size of a Nalgene (doesn't everything?) and weighs about 13 oz. I've replaced all my gear over the years, sometimes multiple times, but I still use this pad. I love it for it's warmth, comfort, weight, and pack size. Very durable...had to patch it due to my own stupidity. :)

lemon b
01-13-2012, 18:17
Try WalMart them there windshirld protectors. However as we age I got like 4 maybe 5 different Pads to try out.

Tinker
01-13-2012, 19:25
Kooka Bay, have it custom built to your size and temp.

Here's the link: http://kookabay.com/luxlite.html

tuswm
01-13-2012, 23:19
ok i bumped my old sleeping pad thread. i have slept on several new pads since then but by far my favorite pad is tue neo air trekker large. teeny tiney weight penelty over the reg neo air but way mpre cumfy, quiet, packs crazy small, warm, nice feel, huge, flat top no noticable chambers or tubes. ive slept on atleast twemty different pads and nothing is even close to as comfortable ,npt even close with ut over dubblinggb weight and pack size.

sorry i am on a new tablet and i cant figure out how tp cit and paste a link to my thread so i iust bumped ot.

Janeway
01-14-2012, 09:14
I just had a chance to test my new Big Agnes Dual Core Insulated pad and I have to give it an A+ for comfort and warmth. Probably a tad heavier and bulkier than is wise, but it's easily twice as comfortable than the Thermarest ProLite Plus which is extremely important for me as I'm a side sleeper female with boney hips. I was sold on the added R value since I'm starting Feb 28 and being warm enough to sleep is also extremely important. And another plus is that even though I have to blow it up, I've found the Big Agnes Pump House really works great, so that's not going to be an issue. And I found it was a lot easier to deflate and fold up than the Prolite Plus and fits back into the stuff sack a lot easier. BA gives a scoshe more room which the makes it easier to slip back into the stuff sack and the Thermarest was just hard.

Tuckahoe
01-14-2012, 16:25
Here's the link: http://kookabay.com/luxlite.html

Tinker and Bags, thanks. That is exactly the sort of options that I am seeking out. Thanks very much!

Also have either one of you actually used Kooka Bay pads?

Hoop
01-14-2012, 17:58
I'll stand behind (or lie on) my Kooka Bay pad. He'll make it to your specs. Insulated or non, down or synthetic, width and thickness, etc.

I have a synthetic insulated, 22' x 72', and it did fine this weekend. Friday morning temp was about 20 degrees, a windy night at Stover Creek shelter.

Don H
01-14-2012, 23:41
S0 why not a NeoAir?

Tuckahoe
01-15-2012, 11:16
S0 why not a NeoAir?

Simple really, I am just researching all my options before I actually make a selection. That selection will be based on price, weight and how small the pad will pack down. Before I go out and spend money I do like to consider all possibilities.

Hoop could you tell me more about your pad? weight and packed size? Thanks.

jakedatc
01-15-2012, 12:01
Tinker and Bags, thanks. That is exactly the sort of options that I am seeking out. Thanks very much!

Also have either one of you actually used Kooka Bay pads?

There have been some issues with Kooka bay on Backpackinglight about the timeline for actually getting your pad. some folks have waited for many weeks even after they had paid. so if you need it by a certain time it may not be the best route.

I'm a big fan of my Big Agnes Air core. not insulated but pretty light and packs down to the size of a magazine or nalgene if you roll it. half as expensive as the Neoair but only 3oz heavier.

tuswm
01-15-2012, 13:05
if u can get tp a REI try laying on different pads. you do nitce the difference between verticale tubes and ttyhree D baffles. bit nither are as flat on top as the multi layer neo air. the large is great and because of the horizontalbaffles it cam be folded down to make a great pillow.

i have been considering gettinnhg kooka bay to make a two person ul mummy to be used with a two person quilt. its hard to use two inflatable pads they always slide apart.

SmokeEater
01-15-2012, 13:05
Big Agnes mummy air core 19oz. You can get down to 16oz with the shorter pad. Packs very small and is cheap!
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/AirCore

soilman
01-15-2012, 16:34
Used the Neoair regular on my 2010 thru hike. This was the best investment in gear I ever made. I treated it well and had no problems except for envious shelter mates who wanted to try it out.

Don H
01-15-2012, 17:02
Tuckahoe64, thought maybe you had a reason why you didn't want a NeoAir.
Went the whole way with mine (size regular bought in '09) in 2011 with no problems. Plus several hundred miles of section hiking, and many nights camping with the scout troop.

Hoop
01-15-2012, 18:13
"Hoop could you tell me more about your pad? weight and packed size? Thanks."

72x20x2.5, threaded valve, box construction, just under 20 ounces, and packs to a 4"x12" roll. It's rated R5 (down pad is R8).

As noted above, Bender appeared to be in no hurry after the sale - about 2 weeks longer than it was supposed to take.

I've used it less than 10 times - no leaks, seems sturdy enough. I haven't used a neo-air, so cannot compare, but I prefer it over a thermarest inflatable or a ridge rest.

torii
01-15-2012, 18:24
Word is NeoAir to be discontinued this year and replaced with simular pad, same weight, R value >5. Out in February. I am in line.........:sun

Ohio Grown
01-16-2012, 12:12
Are you talking about the NeoAir Xlite? http://www.backcountrygear.com/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite.html?gclid=CKi9v8311K0CFQ9qhwodEDP5mw

They actually weight 2 oz less for a regular size and have an R-value of 3.2. I talked to an REI employee the other day and it sounded like they would have them available by the end of January.

There is also the NeoAir all-season which has an R-value of 4.9 and weighs 19 oz which is available now.