PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness in July?

Tim Rich
03-14-2005, 17:03
Greetings,

I'm planning my last section hike to complete the AT, a goal we've pursued since 1989. My hiking partner and I have Monson to Katahdin remaining, and our family schedules seem to be nudging us to a hike somewhere in the July 12 - July 28 window. All I really know of our plan at this point is that we'll fly in and out of Bangor, we'll stay at Shaw's again before we start our hike, and we intend to overnight at Whitehouse Landing.

Any advice on hiking the 100 Mile in July, such as skeeters (hope the black flies are gone by then), coldest temps to expect, difficulty of any fords, best shelters/campsites, would be appreciated. Based upon a quick look at Trailjournals, we'll be a good bit ahead of almost all NOBOs, and may not see many SOBOs either. Any general advice on the 100 Mile would be appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone for any help you can provide.

Take Care,

Tim

The Solemates
03-14-2005, 17:27
you'll see plenty of NOBOs and SOBOs both. We were there in late June. Temps during the day averaged around 60F. Temps at night averaged 40F. Add another 5 degrees or so to those for your times I suspect.

Id definitely at least visit WHL. Its kinda expensive, but I loved that place. The burgers are worth the visit, which is what we did, and then left to tent it.

A-Train
03-14-2005, 19:18
I left Monson on July 25th and summited 7/31. It was a GREAT time to be in the wilderness and I had some of the best weather of the trip in the last couple days. The weather was excellent, usually in the 60-70's during the day and 50's at night. Had some very windy, cool days towards the end, but then again 2003 was a very cool summer.

Skeeters were not too bad, though you do notice them becoming more problematic around Cooper Brook Falls. From here to the end it's low elevation and a lot of standing water, where bugs like to hang out. I would certainly have a tent, long clothing to wear at night and a net, but its nothing like it is in mid-june. I was traveling in a bubble of about 10-12 NOBO's and passing a couple SOBOs and sectioners a day. Not very crowded at all.

Have a blast and be sure to take your time. This is one of the most beautiful sections of the AT and there is A LOT to enjoy. After WhiteCap the terrain is extrememly forgiven, until you hit, Katahdin of course.

Enjoy!

TJ aka Teej
03-14-2005, 19:32
I'm planning my last section hike to complete the AT, a goal we've pursued since 1989.
WOO HOO!! Awesome, Tim! If it hasn't been real rainy, you'll find fords are at their lowest, with the possible exception of the first one out of Monson. Black flies are back in their pens, but skeeters will be abundant. Antlers is my favorite 100 mile campsite, and if you can, try to sleep under the stars on the Rainbow Ledges instead of hiking on down to Hurd Brook. You'll see plenty of GAMErs, other sectioneers, a surprising number of day trippers and overnighters, and groups of youths from summer camps in Quebec and NH. July can get really warm, high eighties with t-storms. I recommend tenting, shelters are buggy and you'll be too warm zipped up in your bag to keep from being bit all night. When you see signs saying 'view', go look! When you get to Baxter don't fret over not getting one of the 12 spots at the Birches, just take a zero at the Abol Pines across from the Abol Bridge Store and go sign up the next day at first light. When you settle on a date to get to Maine, let me know. I can probably get you from Portland to up Monson.
hope this helps a bit,

Mountain Dew
03-15-2005, 00:31
Congrats on finishing a 17 year hike of the A.T. by two of the finist guys you'd ever want to meet at a shelter. Maybe you Bama boys can finally get out of trouble with your wives for spending your vacation for the past 17 years hiking away from family ! :datz

attroll
03-15-2005, 03:41
Bring your head nets and bug dope. I do not do much of any hiking in July in Maine because of the bugs. I don't know if I will be able to help you this year or not yet Tim. July is to far away. I will keep you posted if I can though.

MileMonster
03-15-2005, 08:40
I was there 7-5 to 7-9 last year. The Hundred Mile is awesome; wonderfully beautiful and wild. Temps were pleasant. Skeeters were there but I don't remember them being a big problem. We had a fair amount of rain though, that may have knocked them down. No black flies. The fords were fine. I think the deepest was mid-shin at Pleasant River.

I remember ALOT of people in the 'Hundred Mile. At Cloud Pond Lean-to the shelter was full and about 20 tenting wherever they could find space. There were two separate youth groups there. Make sure you have a tarp or tent and aren't relying solely on the shelters.

Have fun and be careful.

weary
03-15-2005, 11:35
Greetings,
I'm planning my last section hike to complete the AT, a goal we've pursued since 1989. My hiking partner and I have Monson to Katahdin remaining, and our family schedules seem to be nudging us to a hike somewhere in the July 12 - July 28 window. All I really know of our plan at this point is that we'll fly in and out of Bangor, we'll stay at Shaw's again before we start our hike, and we intend to overnight at Whitehouse Landing.
Any advice on hiking the 100 Mile in July, such as skeeters (hope the black flies are gone by then), coldest temps to expect, difficulty of any fords, best shelters/campsites, would be appreciated. Based upon a quick look at Trailjournals, we'll be a good bit ahead of almost all NOBOs, and may not see many SOBOs either. Any general advice on the 100 Mile would be appreciated as well. Tim
Expect the shelters to be filled with camp groups, and scout groups. You'll need your own shelter. Otherwise it's a beautiful time to explore the 100 miles. My advice is to go slow. Swim in the waters, enjoy the views. Bugs should be minimal. But beware, every 35 years a breed of black flies erupts that lasts all summer. They are due about now.

Because newspapers and pseudo scientists all have short memories, when they arrive everyone will talk about an alleged "New" strain of black flies and urge mass aerial spraying to kill them. We avoided that in 1970, but I no longer have a forum for preaching to the masses.

While walking through, remember that what looks like wilderness on both sides of the trail, is really a narrow corridor, rarely more than 500 feet on each side and in places but 100 feet.

Except for a few miles of AMC, state and Nature Conservancy lands, everything else is mostly owned by land "investment" companies, land speculators and cut and then develop timber operations.

That's why a few of us have formed the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust to raise money and to buy buffers for the trail.

Weary www.matlt.org

Tim Rich
03-16-2005, 11:38
Thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments. We'll have bug dope and already have head nets, and we always carry bivy shelters as a tent option along the way.

TJ and ATTroll, thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I'll check in once we get our schedules together.

MD, you should be a bit more careful dispensing compliments - you'll ruin your online persona :D . It's true that we owe our wives big time for putting up with us over the years (I'm sure the hiking's just a small part of it), but they've always had the option of going with us. We took them on an 18 mile overnighter in NC right after we started this thing, and they both had their fill. I've tried to tell them that all sections don't include an Albert Mountain, but they've remained suspicious :D .

Take Care,

Tim

Moxie00
04-07-2005, 20:06
If you fly fish and have rod that breaks down BRING IT. You can enjoy a trout dinner almost every night. My wife and I love Maine backpacking in July and if you have enough time and desire to fly fish you will experience some of the very best fishing for wild native trout you will find anywhere in the USA between Monson and Katahdin. Weary is right about the camp groups but that is anywhere on the AT in summer. I found them in New Jersey and New York.
:clap