PDA

View Full Version : What have you given up...?

TammyLynn
01-13-2012, 16:23
I'm thinking something drastic. A lot of my friends I've asked about this think I'm out of my mind. But I'm thinking of selling my Jeep. I've had it for six years, gas is killing me, and it's pretty much the only way I'll have money to do the trail this year. Has anyone ever had to give up something drastic to do the trail, while people were telling you you're crazy, lol?

TammyLynn
01-13-2012, 16:23
And, most importantly...was it worth it?

louisb
01-13-2012, 16:44
I thought of giving up my wife so I could hike the trail but then I would have to learn how to cook. :p

--louis

Blissful
01-13-2012, 16:50
If this is something you want to do and its important to you, why not? Whether or not its worth it is something you will have to find out on your own. Don't take another's word for it, b/c you'll hear all kinds of responses. But if this is your dream, your life calling so to speak, then you go do it.

TOMP
01-13-2012, 17:23
A job for one. Now that I am unemployed I gave up my car insurance (dont worry I dont use the car). One year of car insurance is a huge savings especially for a young male in new jeresy ill save about 1500 on that alone. Ill get them back when I return from my thru.

Plodderman
01-13-2012, 17:27
I have given up a week or two of vaction every year for 10 years to hike the trail and have enjoyed every minute of it. Never had to sale anything but probably would if the hike would not be possible any other way.

Transient Being
01-13-2012, 17:38
I just liquidated quite a few things....my beloved dirtbike, a couple guns that I really liked, a small boat that I enjoyed very much. I'll still have my job, so I can buy more "things", only live once so I'm cashing in some chips and going for the adventure for a change.

Tinker
01-13-2012, 17:48
I just liquidated quite a few things....my beloved dirtbike, a couple guns that I really liked, a small boat that I enjoyed very much. I'll still have my job, so I can buy more "things", only live once so I'm cashing in some chips and going for the adventure for a change.

Your trail name (or forum name) is appropriate. Enjoy the ride. :)

lemon b
01-13-2012, 18:23
Can the jeep and just go hiking.

slims
01-13-2012, 19:09
Last month I sold my car. Owned this car about 6 years, in that time I did a lot to it. Converted it from an automatic to a manual, customized it by putting on some nice wheels, a racing steering wheel and bucket seats, did an engine swap and put in a larger, faster engine, pulled it down to a bare shell myself with the help of some friends and got it bodyworked and repainted, put it back together, did some engine modifications and other numerous other small projects and even competed in autocross events with it. It was also a fairly rare car as there aren't very many Datsuns left where I live. To top it off it was my first car.

So long story short it had a lot of sentimental value but I don't fell that bad about selling it. The way I see it is that cars come and go but I don't know if I'll ever have another chance at thru-hiking so I'm going to take it while I can.

LIhikers
01-13-2012, 19:29
TammyLynn,

While many of your friends may have expereince with cars I'd bet that few or none of them have thru hiking experience. That makes them the ineligible to tell you what the right thing to do about a hike is. Follow your dreams or you'll be sorry you didn't.

birdygal
01-13-2012, 19:30
I am currently selling off alot of my cherished belongings just so I can do a thru hike, Since I have to get a job to build up my retirement fund and don't think I will be healthy enough to do it when I am 70 (ex smoker of 37 yrs) Now is the only time I will have the time to accomplish such a task

-Animal
01-14-2012, 11:09
I am currently selling off alot of my cherished belongings just so I can do a thru hike, Since I have to get a job to build up my retirement fund and don't think I will be healthy enough to do it when I am 70 (ex smoker of 37 yrs) Now is the only time I will have the time to accomplish such a task

I too am selling a lot of my stuff. Well, just about everything really… I only have some extra camping/hiking gear and trail movies/books left to sell. Going to put what’s left on Ebay next week.

Kerosene
01-14-2012, 14:22
The more money I've earned the more I've realized just how little I need to live well. I've observed that people can be very happy without a big house, a boat, the nicest wine, a titanium cookpot, or the nicest car (or even a car at all). Spend your money the way you want. HYOH applies to life also (Live Your Own Life).

garlic08
01-14-2012, 15:16
I don't see it as giving stuff up. I see it as gaining a more flexible and sustainable lifestyle. I've been sharing a car with my best friend (wife) for years. All of our clothing fits in a 3' wide closet. If you think you're purging now, before your hike, wait until you come home and behold the useless crap you own. That's when the real purge comes.

hikerboy57
01-14-2012, 15:37
I don't see it as giving stuff up. I see it as gaining a more flexible and sustainable lifestyle. I've been sharing a car with my best friend (wife) for years. All of our clothing fits in a 3' wide closet. If you think you're purging now, before your hike, wait until you come home and behold the useless crap you own. That's when the real purge comes.
one of the greatest benefits of backpacking is finding out how little you need to be happy.although i hope theres at least a change of clothes in that closet,

RGB
01-14-2012, 16:08
I've been slowly paring down everything I own since 2009. For the past 6 months I was living out of a suitcase in Sweden, and that showed me how much further I could take it. Even then, there were still some things that I wasn't using and gave to their version of Goodwill. I just packed to head back to university in Boone, and in the corner of my room is my backpack, daypack, laptop bag, and laundry bag that contains everything I own. I don't think I'm finished yet...but the lack of possessions to sell also means I might be looking for an honest job soon to fund my adventures...

Anyway, I write about living simply and travel from time to time, and whenever such a topic arises I shamelessly promote my work :rolleyes: But I do genuinely want to help others with this because it's such a freeing lifestyle to live with only what you truly need...and an adventure in itself to figure out what is you actually truly need.

Spartan Wanderer (http://www.spartanwanderer.tumblr.com)

rocketsocks
01-14-2012, 20:36
A job for one. Now that I am unemployed I gave up my car insurance (don't worry I don't use the car). One year of car insurance is a huge savings especially for a young male in New Jersey ill save about 1500 on that alone. Ill get them back when I return from my thru.NJ car insurance is sick.Tomp if you gave up driving for say 10 years,you could stay at every Bed & Breakfast on the trail and hire a Sherpa.Now ,that's a plan.Tammy Lynn if you want to become a professional walker,GO FOR IT...but have a plan,gotta have a plan.

leftorright
01-14-2012, 21:41
I've been wanting to thru-hike since I was 17 - that's 6 years now of putting it off, solely because I don't want to give up my pets to hike. I want to live my life, but at the same time they've got their lives too... instead I'm working on making friends at the local vet clinics and animal control to see if I can find a really great person to take them for 6 months and know I'm coming back for them. I believe the peace of mind I get will be worth it to have waited. I would not wait for an inanimate object short of mabybe a house I own though - that's just me.

Theosus
01-14-2012, 21:46
For ten years I worked on an airplane. My goal was to finish it and take up flying. I got married, bought a house and had a child. In that time Ive come to terms that such an activity is inherently dangerous although not as much as you would think. At this point, now that I've gotten into backpacking I'm going to either sell or donate the plane for the tax benefits. I'm worried if I wreck it I'll injure myself to the point where I can't work or hike, and that isn't worth the fun that flying brings.Plus hiking is a lot cheaper.

Jim Adams
01-15-2012, 00:43
I sold all of my furnitue in 2002...worked out fine.

geek

Badspeller
01-15-2012, 01:00
First, I am giving up a lot of cash to BlueRidge Mt. Sports to buy hiking equiptment. I am then giving up 24 hour-a-day news cycles, TV advertising, and florecent lights. I will miss my wife and my cat fortuatly they will SKYPE.... "Meow". "Are ya there Mr. Kitty? Ya look great!"