PDA

View Full Version : Biting off too much??

msbeattie1
01-13-2012, 17:15
Testing the hiking waters and planning a two day hike in the Smokies - Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap. 32.5 miles in two days. Anyone familiar with the terrain? Is it doable without killing myself? I'm in good shape and day hike 10 - 13 miles frequently. Going in May.

Pedaling Fool
01-13-2012, 17:18
You'll be fine, it's an easy section.

Monkeywrench
01-13-2012, 17:20
Testing the hiking waters and planning a two day hike in the Smokies - Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap. 32.5 miles in two days. Anyone familiar with the terrain? Is it doable without killing myself? I'm in good shape and day hike 10 - 13 miles frequently. Going in May.

If you normally day hike 10 - 13 then you should probably plan on 8 - 10 for your first backpacking trip. Carrying a full pack is quite different, and deserves easing into it. If you end up feeling like you could have gone further, that's great! You'll be set for your second trip where you'll push a little bit harder.

Plodderman
01-13-2012, 17:48
Should be fine but my first time out years ago I found the the terrain I usually hiked at home was not as difficult as the AT so the miles can be less. We hiked the whole AT in the GSMNP a few years ago I did not think any of the trail was to diffcult that we could not do the miles you are talking about doing.

Slo-go'en
01-13-2012, 18:12
So long as you have decent weather, very do-able. For the most part, it's a reasonably easy streach of trail, but there are some exposed sections, which have great views in good weather and very nasty to get through in bad.

gollwoods
01-15-2012, 20:48
I don't think two days is enough time for the hike really, it is not easy no one with a bain should state it as such

BobTheBuilder
01-15-2012, 21:00
WB is starting to sound like a bunch of guys bragging about their sexual prowess. The reality is that two straight 16 mile days is a lot of work. The southern half of the Smokys is tougher than the northern half, but it is still the Smokys. The long downhill to DG is no picnic on your calves, either.

I have done it in two days as part of a section hike, but I would much rather do it in three days if this was my whole hike. It is beautiful trail and you will want some time at Charlie's Bunion. Three eleven-mile days is a good workout for a first hike, and it is nice to allow yourself some time to relax a little in camp at night.

Papa D
01-15-2012, 21:31
You should be fine - I just did 60 milesin full on snow In 2 1/2 days.- Erwin to Hot Springs -so what if you are tired (ha ha)- the only problemyou will have are crowded shelters - thelast of the thru hikers will be there in earlyMay - late May, they should be gone. Regarding Golwoods earlier post,
beware - my brain is sort of iffy.

Rain Man
01-15-2012, 22:01

I did it in March ('05), so you'll have longer daylight hours. Makes a big difference in my opinion. Also, getting on the trail early does too, so take that into account if you're driving up to Newfound Gap.

I started at Fontana Dam and after three days had reached Icewater Springs Shelter (so that gives me a 3-mile headstart on you). I hiked from Icewater to Tri-corner Knob Shelter the next day. The next (last) day, I hiked past Davenport Gap to Standing Bear Farm, plus did the Mt. Camermer fire lookout side trail. I think that day was close to 20 miles of hiking, if I recall correctly.

Two long days in my mid-50s. So, I'm guessing it's doable for you, yes. Not "easy" though.

Rain:sunMan

Kerosene
01-16-2012, 12:52
Certainly doable, but as noted earlier the northern half of the Smokies is a bit harder. You'll be tired after Day 2.

beaudetious
01-16-2012, 14:57
I recently did a similar section recently (last September). Started at Clingman's Dome and ended up at my car parked at Standing Bear Farms. Not bragging, just passing on info: I did 20+ miles on the final day. That was the first time I ever did that much. That last day is primarily downhill and, with hiking poles, I reached 3 mph a few times. Normally I'm a lot slower than that.

I also stopped for a break at Mt. Cammerer (spelling?) to cool my heels.

For a long hike like that I had to get up around 5:30 am.

ChinMusic
01-16-2012, 16:25

Based on what is in bold....VERY doable. It really helps when folks but that kind of information in a question.

I'm 53 and a somewhat slowish hiker. I could do that section in two days but they would be REAL long days for me. I would prefer doing it in three days but would survive two. The northern half of the Smokies is easier IMO.

ChinMusic
01-16-2012, 17:26
I assume you will be hiking to Tricorner Shelter on day one. If that is the case, get an EARLY start on day one. If you stay at Pecks (permit issues for example) your second day will be real long and could end under headlamp.

As a section hiker with permit you will have a space "reserved" at the shelter. According to rules you MUST stay in the shelter. That said, bring something like a tarp with you as a backup. If you get to Tricorner late the shelter may be full already. By rule, you have to kick out a thru (dumb rule). By common sense, it may make more sense to "illegally" tarp than to wake someone up and force them to move.

stranger
01-16-2012, 17:56
WB is starting to sound like a bunch of guys bragging about their sexual prowess. The reality is that two straight 16 mile days is a lot of work. The southern half of the Smokys is tougher than the northern half, but it is still the Smokys. The long downhill to DG is no picnic on your calves, either.

I have done it in two days as part of a section hike, but I would much rather do it in three days if this was my whole hike. It is beautiful trail and you will want some time at Charlie's Bunion. Three eleven-mile days is a good workout for a first hike, and it is nice to allow yourself some time to relax a little in camp at night.

16 miles for 2 days straight may be a lot of work for you, it may be a nightmare for someone else....for another hiker, 16 miles might be something they do before 1pm...the reality is that everyone has different strides, fitness and experience levels, expectations and 'concepts' of what is difficult. Yes, don't underestimate 32 miles in 2 days, especially in the rain or cold, but my opinion is that the Smokies change quite a bit near Newfound Gap, the trail tends to level out and become more scenic after Newfound Gap. So for me...I wouldn't blink at 16 miles per day in this section, if anything I might become bored with those distances. But of course it still requires respect and a level head.

From what the OP said, I wouldn't hesitate at the proposed plan, the terrain is fairly friendly and it's beautiful...3 days 'might' be fairly excessive...might not.

kayak karl
01-16-2012, 18:13
only the OP knows what he can hike. 2-12" snow makes a difference. some posted of their amazing hiking ability, but some had NO snow, others little. can you make it?? i guess you will find out.....only way you will learn. asking question on here like this is futile. i got SO much bad advice on winter hiking from the computer chair group i lost 4 toenails and 2 broken ribs. that did not stop me from hiking.

Marta
01-16-2012, 18:23
It's impossible to say whether this hike would be good, bad, or indifferent for you. For your first backpacking trip I would recommend an out and back hike, in a place with lots of camping options. That way you could go five miles each day, or you could go twenty. Many, many day hikers--but not all--have underestimated how much a backpack will slow them down. You could, for example, start at Standing Bear Farm near I-40 and hike north on the AT.