PDA

View Full Version : Starting AT Over Again

Wonka21
01-13-2012, 17:19
I was never destined to be a thru-hiker nor a section hiker. In the late 99-2001, I completed up to Hot Springs NC, then I moved up North. In 2002-03 I hiked from MD up to Duncannan PA. Then I quit. Decided it's time to start all over in 100-200 mile increments headed East. Will have to see if my old gear is up to speed and buy some new boots. I'm asking for ideas to get back in shape and when would be a good time to start at Duncannon. I hear water shortages occur along that route.
Will keep you posted on my 2012 progress. Thanks again!

lemon b
01-13-2012, 17:46
Pa is a pain in the ass with all them yellowblaze markings come on up North and the old equipment works fine if the knees go along.

Tinker
01-13-2012, 17:51
Wonka 21 "I hear water shortages occur along that route."

:welcome

Yes, you can check here for current water info. It's a looooooooooong way down off the ridge some places for water. Sometimes it's worth it to carry extra just to skip the "water run".

Pa is a pain in the ass with all them yellowblaze markings come on up North and the old equipment works fine if the knees go along.

Pa = P(it)a.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Slo-go'en
01-13-2012, 18:07
I would try and do PA in the early spring before it got too hot and humid. Late April, eary May would be ideal. Any later and you run the risk of heat stroke! (and the lack of water)

As for getting into shape, just start going out for long walks as often as you can.

Tinker
01-13-2012, 18:13
Fwiw: I started Pa. northbound and have gotten as far as Port Clinton. Duncannon-Port Clinton only has a few spots where the rocks are bad. Saw a copperhead on the trail in November of last year.

Watch your step. The snakes will be out in force once it gets warm.

TOMP
01-13-2012, 18:29
PA, NJ, and NY are very wet and buggy in the april-early june area. Lots of ticks, I counted 20 on my pants in a east stroudsburg hike in april. The rivers and stream are overflowing too. Much different than the dry summer.

1azarus
01-14-2012, 00:10
best of luck to you. old men hikers rule.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2012, 00:58
PA, NJ, and NY are very wet and buggy in the april-early june area. Lots of ticks, I counted 20 on my pants in a east stroudsburg hike in april. The rivers and stream are overflowing too. Much different than the dry summer.

I guess there is no good time to do those states. I did PA in May once, not too long ago. Didn't rain a whole lot, but boy, it was hot and humid by the time I got to the DWG May 30th. Did NJ/NY at the start of a 2 week heat wave in mid July a year later.

TOMP
01-14-2012, 01:36
I guess there is no good time to do those states. I did PA in May once, not too long ago. Didn't rain a whole lot, but boy, it was hot and humid by the time I got to the DWG May 30th. Did NJ/NY at the start of a 2 week heat wave in mid July a year later.

Fall is my favorite hiking weather in this area.

Hoofit
01-14-2012, 09:49
Heading north from Boiling Springs to Katahdin first week iof April - looking forward to the Spring weather!