PDA

View Full Version : Janurary or feburary hike from neels gap for non snow campers?

Jimboy
01-13-2012, 18:27
Really want to do a hike this month or next. Just wondering how treaturous the conditions may be? Should I cut mileage way down due to increased effort of walking in snow? Not too concerned with cold weather and packing for the cold just more along the lines of can it be really fun? Or will it be more pain and uncomfortableness than fun.

hikerboy57
01-13-2012, 18:39
how long do you want to be out? you should definitely anticipate lower mileage as far as planning your trip. its not healthy to have to push too hard when conditions deteriorate, which they undoubtably will if you're out for any length of time.it can be a lot of fun if you 're prepared for the cold. a lot less people out, a lot more virgin snow, and as long as its not a blizzard, i love hiking in the snow. just dont be over ambitious with your daily mileage and im sure you'll have a blast.

Jimboy
01-13-2012, 19:27
2 maybe 3 nights?

Tinker
01-13-2012, 20:34
More cold=more clothing=more weight=shorter miles/day+shorter days= No fun.......and that's before you factor in the trail conditions.
Have you done any hiking in snow and ice, and have you experienced 24+ hours of uncomfortable cold? If you say yes to these questions, and the hike still sounds like fun to you, go for it. It might be wise to bring some traction devices for your feet. Smooth rock slabs turn into tilted skating rinks when the sun melts the snow and the night refreezes it.

I like snow camping, (low mileage days in the White Mountains), as long as I can have a fire to sit by at night. During the day, we'll hike above treeline and take pictures, then descend to camp below treeline for the night. Unfortunately, fire bans are widespread in the White Mts. and we can't always have a fire. You won't have that problem, and the views will be pretty decent through the trees.

Jimboy
01-13-2012, 21:00
Speaking of which I did springer to neels gap this summer and fires were banned from woody gap and not sure where it ended. I wonder if ban is still in effect? No experience in snow besides when we stay in a cabin on beech mountain for snow boarding. I am a florida native looking for a different kind of adventure!

Biggie Master
01-13-2012, 21:23
14890 I'm not a fan of going to bed cold or waking up cold. But I find that if I keep moving and remove layers before I get hot (i.e. don't sweat) that a walk in the snow is great! We did a 14 mile section a couple of years back from Allen Gap to Hot Springs, and never saw another soul until we arrived in town.

BlakeGrice
01-13-2012, 22:44
Headed to Neels tomorrow for a short 1 nighter. Snowing as we speak I believe

Jimboy
01-16-2012, 13:08
Blake, I would love to know how it went!