PDA

View Full Version : Two months to go and surgery on Monday

Stats 2012
01-13-2012, 21:56
In exactly two months I begin my thru-hike attempt. In exactly two days I undergo hernia surgery. Oddly enough I feel quite optimistic that I'll hit the Trail at full strength. I've been training like a fiend for two and a half years for this hike and feel that this is just one more hurdle to jump over on my way to Springer. Best of luck to all of you in these hectic, pre-hike days! See you on the mountain.

Toolshed
01-13-2012, 21:59
Training 2.5 years to go for a walk every day...Now that's funny:D... Seriously good luck with your surgery.

Six-Six
01-13-2012, 22:48
You're in good shape and should recover quickly. You'll be fine. Best of luck - I'm right behind you on the trail.
BTW - I just had surgery too - gall bladder is gone now and I was just given clearance to resume workouts, so I've got a head-start on you.
See ya on the trail.

Don H
01-13-2012, 23:07
I had my gall bladder removed last January and hit the trail March 14th about 9 weeks later. My incisions were not quite healed but I was fine. I guess it depends on what your surgeon says.

garlic08
01-14-2012, 01:26
I had bilateral hernia surgery in December and thru hiked the PCT the next summer, at age 48. I was back to full hiking and skiing strength within 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery, just like the doc said. You'll do fine, especially because of all the walking you've been doing. Best of luck in your hike.

Stats 2012
01-14-2012, 07:28
Training 2.5 years to go for a walk every day...Now that's funny:D... Seriously good luck with your surgery.Well you must consider that 2.5 years ago I was 70 pounds heavier, I just had my second knee surgery, and I have a fixed end date (sabbatical ends in August) so I don't have time to"get in shape on the Trail." This is my one shot to do this and I don't want to blow it because I was ill prepared. Thanks for the well wishes!

Stats 2012
01-14-2012, 07:31
You're in good shape and should recover quickly. You'll be fine. Best of luck - I'm right behind you on the trail. BTW - I just had surgery too - gall bladder is gone now and I was just given clearance to resume workouts, so I've got a head-start on you.See ya on the trail.Hey, that's good to know - both your response to surgery and your position on the Trail. Although at 6'6" I'm sure you'll catch up to me in no time.

Stats 2012
01-14-2012, 07:35
Thanks for the encouragement Don H and Garlic. It's good to hear success stories from fellow hikers.

-Animal
01-14-2012, 10:53
Yep, you should have no problem. I ran a marathon three weeks after an appendectomy when I was your age.

Del Q
01-14-2012, 11:00
My experience, take it really slow to start, build up, take 2-3 days off each week then 2 weeks or so before your hike step it way up day by day...........I have trained too hard too early and it cost me, post knee surgery and back issues.

When you get out there, step by step at a pace you can handle..............this is long, long marathon walk.

Don H
01-14-2012, 18:51
Sure thing Stats, good luck!
Agree with Del Q on taking it easy in the beginning and slowly increase your milage. I can't tell you how many people I saw with knee problems from going too hard in the first few weeks. Georgia is a lot tougher than most think.

rocketsocks
01-14-2012, 21:28
Two and a half years to plan is going to give you all the mental prowess you'll need to complete your dream,but take it slow on the recovery,not "to much to soon"you'll get there just stay mentally tough.I had surgery on my paw and was hiking that same day,I think it was the drugs (and exaggerated sense of well being)To much to soon.Be careful

Stats 2012
01-14-2012, 22:48
Thanks for the good advice, all. I've got only one shot to do this, so I'll take it easy for 3-4 Weeks. Hopefully I can get back in shape in the month before I depart. I'm optimistic and determined yet cautious. Monday and Tuesday (the days after my surgery) are not going to be pleasant I imagine.