PDA

View Full Version : Six Moon Designs Comet Backpack

The Solemates
03-14-2005, 17:08
The Comet sure looks nice, except they need to make a larger torso length. Largest is still only 20".

www.sixmoondesigns.com

Singletrack
03-14-2005, 17:18
The Comet sure looks nice, except they need to make a larger torso length. Largest is still only 20".

www.sixmoondesigns.com
Your right, it does look nice. I guess if your torso is longer than 20 inches, they could probably special make you one to fit. Or buy the Starlite. It looks nice too.

The Solemates
03-14-2005, 17:23
Your right, it does look nice. I guess if your torso is longer than 20 inches, they could probably special make you one to fit. Or buy the Starlite. It looks nice too.

yea i emailed them about custom making a larger torso one. i like the comet a lot better than the starlite. im in the market for a new pack since mine has over 3000 miles on it and is moaning for its grave.

tlbj6142
03-14-2005, 17:36
One of the reasons (primary reason?) why Ron made the Comet was to support user's with shorter torsos.

What don't you like about the Starlite? Besides the pack's material, they are basically the same.

JoeHiker
03-14-2005, 17:43
I know this sounds picky but I wish they would make the Comet in blue or green, or some other color that doesn't stand out as much as gold. I'd kinda like to blend in a little more.

I'll still probably buy it.

The Solemates
03-14-2005, 18:12
One of the reasons (primary reason?) why Ron made the Comet was to support user's with shorter torsos.

What don't you like about the Starlite? Besides the pack's material, they are basically the same.

Are they? The harness system looks completely different. And according to their website, the Comet will accomodate heavier loads (up to 35) whereas the Starlite wont (around 25).

tlbj6142
03-14-2005, 21:54
Both max out at 35#. Though, I'd bet you could push pass that limit on the Starlite due to the fact that both the pad and the stays are "behind" the hipbelt and shoulder straps. IOW, it has a potentially stiffer frame.

Sure the shoulder straps are a bit different (looks more or less like a Deuter pack) on the Comet as the straps attach in front of the pad, so a single attachment point is an option. The old moonlite (before the Starlite) had a similar (Y-shoulderstraps) as the Comet, but they attached behind the pad pocket like that of the Starlite.

I suspect Ron changed the design on the Starlite to accomidate wider shoulders that typically go along with longer torso.

I'm sure if we wait a day or so, Ron will respond here. He recently responded to another thread on the comet last week.

charlieblist
03-15-2005, 03:52
The Y strap is interesting to me. Because its a "cottage pack" and not available everywhere, what mainstream pack could I try on that has this same "Y" single attachment point, to see if its something I'd be into.

Singletrack
03-15-2005, 06:06
Are they? The harness system looks completely different. And according to their website, the Comet will accomodate heavier loads (up to 35) whereas the Starlite wont (around 25).
The Starlite will carry loads up to 35 lbs. according to their website. I remember reading something at Backpackinglight.com rating the Starlite very high on load carrying capabilities. I noticed they have the 04 Starlite priced at $99. I wonder what the differernce between the 04 and 05, besides color?

rumbler
03-15-2005, 08:55
I noticed they have the 04 Starlite priced at $99. I wonder what the differernce between the 04 and 05, besides color?

From an email Ron sent me about 2 months ago:

"The only change I did to the Starlite to improve compression, was to change the bungee cord for static cord. This is something you can easily do. Personally I prefer the bungee and never found compression to be a problem."

I have the original Starlite, and like it very much. For $99, it's certainly worth trying out.

ronmoak
03-15-2005, 11:08
As several people mentioned, both packs have similar weight capacities. With a max weight set at 35 pounds.

The harness on the Comet Pack is listed as supporting torso in a range of 15 to 20 inches. That is a conservative number. I’m just about 6’ and when sized for me, there are still a couple of more notches to extend the shoulder straps. I’m waiting on getting the pack on a few more bodies before finalizing the number.

With regard to color, I chose gold because there is some local interest in using it as an adventure racing pack with the Vest harness option. The vest harness will be available later this summer. Over time we’ll probably offer it in a variety of colors.

There are carry differences between both packs. The Comet works better with inflatable pads or the minimalist pads frequently used by hammock people. The Comet’s hip belt and load lifters tie directly into the stays, so when using stays, you get more control. The Y-Harness goes back to the origins of the internal frame pack. The Comet’s Y-Harness is quite similar to the original Lowe Expedition packs, though we’ve downsized the materials and made it simpler.

You can certainly use the Comet without stays, which is the configuration I prefer. But then I also like a fairly stiff pad. On this spring’s hike I’m playing with a 7 ounce integrated pad/ground sheet which is not as stiff as a closed cell foam pad. So it’ll be interesting to see how that pad performs.

Hope this helps.
Ron