PDA

View Full Version : Got the gear, now need help with the food to carry!!!

Many Moons
01-13-2012, 22:32
Pack is packed. Weighed in at 25lbs without food and water, too heavy I know, but will properly get rid of thing do not need as miles/days go by. Thought I would see what other experienced hikes would carry in context to food. Dave's trail service will drop my old rookie butt off at Springer on April 8th and I hike for about two weeks to see how far I can get. Work 3 jobs, so no time to practice hike! Heard I can resupply every 3 to 4 days if I hike that fast. What are some meals that work on the trail? I have cliff bars and trail mix for snacks planned. Think I'll be OK from what I've read about dinners. Mostly need breakfast and lunch ideas. Cold breakfast and lunch are OK, but will have hot meals in evening. Last step, I'm excited!!:banana

swjohnsey
01-13-2012, 23:07
Figure 2 lbs/day food, 3 - 4 days of food and you are looking at 6 - 8 lbs plus 1 - 2 quarts water @ 2lbs/ quart and you are look at an additional 8 - 12 lbs. Take a look in one of the food topics and you will find a calorie density thread. Look for stuff that yield more than 100 calories/ounce. Stuff that falls in this range that is popular on the trail includes ramen, instant mashed potatoes, peanut butter, flour tortillas, boxed mac & cheese, pop tarts, spam singles, etc. You will me limited to what is available at your resupply point which oft times is little more than a convienence store.

When you get to Neel's Gap, 2 -3 days in, you will be able to adjust your equipment at one of the best equipped outiftters you will find anywhere.

BigHodag
01-13-2012, 23:38
Might watch this YouTube video which does a good explaining food.

Hiking Food for Long Distance Backpacking
http://youtu.be/_iu4HpckUDg (http://youtu.be/_iu4HpckUDg)

swjohnsey
01-14-2012, 00:19
Not bad. I like squeeze margarine instead of olive oil. No peanut butter!

MuddyWaters
01-21-2012, 23:20
also trail mix, snickers, peanut mm's, beef sticks, rice/pasta side dishes, canned or pouch meats, nutella, bagels, and even a squashed honey bun is a good honey bun.

Amanita
01-21-2012, 23:56
If the temps are expected to stay reasonable (under 75F) I hike with butter and cheese. Two ancient methods of preserving dairy into delicious, calorie rich substances that can be added to a variety of prepackaged meals. Butter can replace oil in any instant food (knorrs, stouffer's, instant potatoes) and cheese can be eaten plain, added to sandwiches, with crackers and pepperoni, or melted onto Spanish or Italian flavored pasta dinners, or added to mac and cheese to make it more delicious.

I keep my butter in a sealed tub, and have never had issues with leaking, crushing, or going rancid. Look for any butter (or butter "blend" product) that comes in a tub, then just reuse that tub over and over.

Others will mention olive oil, but I find that its strong flavor can over power everything else. And eating stuff flavored like olive oil every day would drive me up the wall.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 00:58
Here is a start on dinners:

Knorr /Liton Pasta Sides
Mac and Cheese - with additions - tofu / tuna
Fantastic Foods refried beans plus taco rice and pirated taco bell sauce - roll into burritos
peanut butter, ramen, soy sauce, spices (trail thai-noodles)
cheesy cous cous with curry powder (and whatever optional protein)
instant potatoes with tuna (foil) packs - or instant cheesy potatoes by themselves
instant potatoes with block cheese
dried tortellini - try Buitoni brand w/ dehydrated tomato sauce and cheese
instant rice meals
Mountain-House stuff (lazy or rainy day option)
oatmeal with peanut butter - pretty much my breakfast trail staple - can go with dinner too.
vegetables and potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked with sauce on a campfire!!

4shot
01-22-2012, 09:43
I'll add this fwiw....I did a lot of hiking to get in shape (or so I thought) before I started. My local hiking trails did not have the elevation changes that you will see on the AT. So I was comfortable doing 15 - 18 miles per day locally but found I was doing 10 mpd on the AT for the first several weeks. Of course, you may be in peak physical condition and/or used to hiking in the mountains.Plan a little on the conservative side at the start.

The tortellini that can be found in the pasta section (not the refrigerated) is awesome. The premixed PB & J in the plastic bottle is the absolute pinnacle of mankind's achievement especially when spread over a bagel. Nido is awesome as well. All the above suggestions work too.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 09:51
Here is a start on dinners:

Knorr /Liton Pasta Sides
Mac and Cheese - with additions - tofu / tuna
Fantastic Foods refried beans plus taco rice and pirated taco bell sauce - roll into burritos
peanut butter, ramen, soy sauce, spices (trail thai-noodles)
cheesy cous cous with curry powder (and whatever optional protein)
instant potatoes with tuna (foil) packs - or instant cheesy potatoes by themselves
instant potatoes with block cheese
dried tortellini - try Buitoni brand w/ dehydrated tomato sauce and cheese
instant rice meals
Mountain-House stuff (lazy or rainy day option)
oatmeal with peanut butter - pretty much my breakfast trail staple - can go with dinner too.
vegetables and potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked with sauce on a campfire!!

Lunches (which are pretty much just snacks)

Hard cheese
bagels or flatbread
peanut or almond butter
Cliff Bars / Snickers
Jerky or summer sausages (I eat the vegetarian Seitan Primal Strips)
Mix of Raisins, Peanuts, M&Ms for GORP

Breakfasts:

Oatmeal: If you buy the big canisters and zip lock it, it's so much more economical than instant / mix in peanut or almond butter - pretty great
Other hot cereal: Cream of Wheat, Grits, etc.
Some people carry a mixture of Carnation Instant Breakfast and Protein Shake powder and drink their breakfast
Just a Cliff Bar is sometimes fine
Coffee / Hot Choc. / Tea