PDA

View Full Version : A site that steals hiking content

tjforrester
01-13-2012, 23:42
I blog at http://tjforrester.com/blog/ and today I discovered another site stole my content.

The site is called paper.li and it scrapes content off the internet and puts it on their pages just to sell advertisements. They have stolen content from numerous hiking related sites, as well as others. I clicked on the "stop mention" link at the bottom of the page but my content is still on their site. Guess I'll have to see if I can get reach their provider. Any suggestions?

http://paper.li/HikeforHomeles1/1322510265?utm_source=subscription&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=paper_sub

Wise Old Owl
01-13-2012, 23:55
Sad to hear - but get over it - strange but many of my personal photos are ear marked with my personal name and I discovered they have been used in magazines and websites. I have made a few covers.

TOMP
01-14-2012, 00:01
if you link thier page arent you helping them sell ads?

tjforrester
01-14-2012, 00:58
Sad to hear - but get over it - strange but many of my personal photos are ear marked with my personal name and I discovered they have been used in magazines and websites. I have made a few covers.

No can do, Wise Owl. I write for a living and can't look the other way when someone infringes on my rights. I did some research and discovered several different ways to approach this issue. Will start with the easiest one first.

tjforrester
01-14-2012, 01:00
if you link thier page arent you helping them sell ads?

Yeah, probably so, but I'm hoping to warn other bloggers on this site that this might be happening to them.

HT1
01-14-2012, 06:55
on the issue of copyright, it is very important to control your content. TJForrester seems to have full control of his, so paper.Li hotlinking it into a frame, that is all they are doing. is theft, though their user agreement places the responsibility solely on their user.
Now most picture hosting, BBS/forum systems; simply by posting you have granted them "a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license" "Photobuckets terminology specifically in this case.
forums and text based games almost all, read individual Terms of service, take full ownership of anything you post, though normally try to claim they are not responsible for the content... they cannot have both. but they try.

if you want to maintain control, legally, of your content, pictures or writtten, you will have to use a pay service to host it. the free services will take control of your content in most cases and use it to make money if they can .

TJForrester is in the right, and I hope he gets his way without having to make it a legal case.

HT1

Spokes
01-14-2012, 07:41
Hmmmm, they claim to be based in Swizerland (if you believe everything you read on the internet). How much money have you set aside for legal fees?

Content curation sites are a two edge sword- used by some to market their own content, loathed by others for pressing the boundaries of "fair use".

atraildreamer
01-14-2012, 16:30
I found my "Stove Efficiency" article (posted here in the articles section) on a website that offered to sell me (the author, with assistance from Jason Klass) a copy. :eek: Got to get back to them and have them pull it and send me the $$$ they made off of it! :) (I'm not going to hold my breath, tho.) :rolleyes:

max patch
01-14-2012, 17:59
I thot it was funny that they had a picture of Warren Doyle on top of an article headline about water treatment devices. Which if you know anything about Mr Doyle....

Todd Tarbox
01-15-2012, 16:34
You're posting stuff on the world wide Web!!!! What did you expect to happen?

Miner
01-15-2012, 19:25
Don't forget to post your solutions to getting them to stop here so I can read about how to do it on their website at a latter date.:p

Toli
01-15-2012, 20:12
“I love that whole princess mentality, going on a hike and then eating a big chili-cheeseburger.”-Jennifer Love Hewitt .WOO (http://www.owlshill.org.moses.com/nature/audio/barred/barred.wav)
Are you sure you you have the right Jennifer, WOO??? Sounds more like a JPD quote than a JLH quote :rolleyes:...

Toolshed
01-15-2012, 21:28
I wrote smoe articles on beginner backpacking while Education Chair for the Adirondack Mountain Club years ago . My info. My content. I then updated it and used it when I was on the DVC-AMC Backpack committee about 8-10 years ago. Sadly, last I looked they were still using the stuff I wrote, but had taken my name off it. Another reason why the AMC Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

bronconite
01-16-2012, 11:55
“I love that whole princess mentality, going on a hike and then eating a big chili-cheeseburger.”-Jennifer Love Hewitt .WOO (http://www.owlshill.org.moses.com/nature/audio/barred/barred.wav)
Are you sure you you have the right Jennifer, WOO??? Sounds more like a JPD quote than a JLH quote :rolleyes:...

That is not the complete quote, and doesn't really make sense without the part that was ommitted. The complete quote, that has been attributed to her in various places around the internet is: "I love that whole princess mentality, but I also like throwing my hair in a ponytail and just wearing jeans, going on a hike and then eating a big chili-cheeseburger." -Jennifer Love Hewitt

Toli
01-16-2012, 20:29
That is not the complete quote, and doesn't really make sense without the part that was ommitted. The complete quote, that has been attributed to her in various places around the internet is: "I love that whole princess mentality, but I also like throwing my hair in a ponytail and just wearing jeans, going on a hike and then eating a big chili-cheeseburger." -Jennifer Love Hewitt

Ummm... Thanks for that... Tho... WOO still does not know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootise Roll Pop... Let alone how long cheese lasts on the trail... I think he got it...

Cookerhiker
01-16-2012, 21:55
I thot it was funny that they had a picture of Warren Doyle on top of an article headline about water treatment devices. Which if you know anything about Mr Doyle....

Now that is funny.

tjforrester
01-17-2012, 13:32
Here's an update on the situation.

The site frames content, which means the link goes to my site and not theirs. (Paperli creates the illusion that the content is theirs, but it really isn't.) This is a relief because I was concerned that google would see a large chunk of duplicate content and penalize my site.

Also, the person who created this paper contacted me with an explanation. He/she is a hiker who simply wants to aggregate hiking content for friends. I have a soft spot for hikers, think they are the coolest people on the planet, so I'm dropping the issue.

I do have a suggestion.

If anyone decides to use paperli in this manner, it might be wise to contact the blogger and inform him of your intentions.

WingedMonkey
01-17-2012, 14:26
As much effort as you put into self promotion, I would think any mention of your work any where is what you were hoping for.

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2012, 11:46

You are limited to how many letters there are in a quote. besides I keep changing mine... At the time I was simply looking for famous Actor Quotes.