PDA

View Full Version : Sixth Annual WhiteBlaze Nashville Winter Dinner - Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rain Man
01-14-2012, 11:48
Sixth Annual WhiteBlaze Nashville Winter Dinner
Saturday, February 11, 2012

Here's the itinerary (you are welcome to any or all of the activities; the main activity is the dinner gathering):

2:00 - for those who would like, and if someone will volunteer to lead?-- a hike at Radnor Lake State Natural Area. Details to be announced.

5:00 - THE MAIN EVENT: Dinner at Ruby Tuesday next door to REI in Brentwood. RSVPs are very helpful, so I can tell Ruby Tuesday how many to expect.

7:00 - Presentation next door at REI by Kathy RedHat Sidebottom Markward on her thru-hike of the AT. I met RedHat first in '05 when I "thru'd" the GSMNP and she was on her first attempted AT thru-hike.

Questions? Volunteers? Complaints? Anyone needing a place to stay? Anyone offering a place to stay for out-of-towners?

Here is the address (and phone number) for the Nashville REI (Ruby Tuesday is next door)--
261 Franklin Road
Brentwood, TN 37027
(615) 376-4248

Check this thread for changes and updates, which I'll post if necessary.

I'm looking forward to seeing whoever is able to attend. Last year we had 40 for dinner. Nothing like getting together for good food and yakking with fellow AT hikers. Well, except for hiking!

Rain:sunMan

Just Plain Jim
01-26-2012, 23:56
Put me and my wife down. I'm going to ask my grandsons also. They both came last year and REALLY enjoyed the presentation. Oh! I'll show off my new knee cap. That's why ya'll haven't heard from me lately...JPJ

Hikerhead
01-27-2012, 00:33
Has it been 6 years? I still remember the good time I had at the first one. Highly recommended.

Turtle2
01-27-2012, 00:36
Hey! I'll be there with my hubby. Can't wait to hear RedHat's adventure! I do believe we will be hiking in Radnor as well. Who else is coming??? Gotta be some more WBers near Nashville (or not) who haven't responded.

RossSFCA
01-27-2012, 03:14
Sign me up for 2013... I want to finish the Trail this year, but I owe Nashville a visit! :)

Have fun at your dinner... sounds like a fun time!

Ross / DirtyGirl

Rain Man
01-27-2012, 11:53
Who else is coming??? Gotta be some more WBers near Nashville (or not) who haven't responded.

To be fair, several have replied in the "Nashville Backpacker" Meetup.com group. I also posted it as a HammockForums.net thread. So, I'm getting RSVPs in three places. I'll give a total head count as the time approaches.

And yes, HikerHead, it's been 6 years. (I thought maybe longer! LOL) Are you coming down this year?

SawnieRobertson
01-28-2012, 11:41
Now this would be worth heading back to Virginia for! Right on my way!

The AT Adventures of Red Hat . . . Gotta be good!

I am tied down to my commitment here in San Antonio and from there to Taos, New Mexico, and from there to Estes Park, Colorado, though. There is a real pull to the invitation though.

Thanks, as always, RainMan.

Kinnickinic

Rain Man
01-28-2012, 18:08
Thanks, as always, RainMan.
Kinnickinic

Sawnie, we need to get you to Nashville again some time! Sorry you can't come this time. BTW, I got to hear (and meet and get book autographed!) Jennifer Pharr Davis today at REI, speak for 3 hours on hiking the AT. She's great! I got to invite her audience to come back in two weeks to hear Red Hat (whom Jennifer met on the trail).

So far I have about two dozen folks signed up for the dinner and talk, and a few for a hike at Radnor. Most are RSVP'ing on HammockForums or at Nashville Backpacker Meetup.com or privately so far. We need some more posts here on WB, though.

Red Hat
01-28-2012, 20:09
I am really excited about sharing my AT adventures at the Meetup. I actually met Jen Pharr Davis around the same time I met you, Rain Man. We shared dinner and a bunkroom at NOC in 2005. She says I'm her favorite NOC bunkmate. (probably her only NOC bunkmate, lol) We've seen each other a number of times since then. She is one of my favorite folks. Obviously, our hiking styles are very different. And her presentations are much more professional. But, hey, I am a retired teacher and know how to talk... so it will be fun.

And as for you, Kinnicinic, I'll miss seeing you in Nashville, but San Antonio is pretty darn close. Maybe we can work it out to meet up there.... huh?

HikerRanky
01-28-2012, 20:55
Put me and Jan down for dinner and the hike....

Cookerhiker
01-28-2012, 21:23
Sounds like a fun event - have a good time everyone. Red Hat, you could also talk about your JMT hike.

Red Hat
01-29-2012, 00:29
Sounds like a fun event - have a good time everyone. Red Hat, you could also talk about your JMT hike. I offered to speak about either one, and Rain Man thought more folks in TN would be interested in the AT. I have a lot more AT miles than JMT miles... about 3500 AT miles compared to 200+ JMT miles. Of course, the JMT is the perfect trail. The AT is more of a love/hate relationship....

Rain Man
01-29-2012, 20:28
The AT is more of a love/hate relationship....

THAT's what we want from our entertainers! Love. Hate. Relationships. The trifecta of holding America's interest!

Red Hat, REI has a set up for speakers who use their own laptops to do PowerPoint presentations, in case that's your plan and you need to know.

robconr
01-30-2012, 22:35
I have to work that day, but I'm hoping to make the dinner and presentation. I'll have my laptop in tow in case it's needed.

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2012, 22:51
Nashville vs Roanoke? nope.... too far.

hwh
01-31-2012, 21:23
My husband and I are looking forward to the dinner. Count us in!
"Happy" when hiking. aka hwh

Sierra Echo
01-31-2012, 21:31
hmmmmmm sounds fun.

Papa D
01-31-2012, 21:36
Crazy as it sounds, I was planning on hiking somewhere that weekend - I might just road trip up there. I have a bed / platform in the back of my truck (gear stows underneath). Can I camp in your driveway Rainman?

Ewker
02-01-2012, 09:57
I offered to speak about either one, and Rain Man thought more folks in TN would be interested in the AT. I have a lot more AT miles than JMT miles... about 3500 AT miles compared to 200+ JMT miles. Of course, the JMT is the perfect trail. The AT is more of a love/hate relationship....

Having hiked portions of the JMT I had rather hear about your trip on it vs the AT

Rain Man
02-01-2012, 13:41
hmmmmmm sounds fun.

It is fun, SE! Come on up. Several of us owe you big time for your food delivery services and slackpacking shuttle on the Foothills Trail. I'm sure any of us would be happy to return the favor by putting you up, if you need a place.

Rain Man
02-01-2012, 13:43
Crazy as it sounds, I was planning on hiking somewhere that weekend - I might just road trip up there. I have a bed / platform in the back of my truck (gear stows underneath). Can I camp in your driveway Rain Man?

Sure thing, Papa D. Let me know if you want to stay here. We've had several stay here over the years, including Red Hat. :)

Turtle2
02-01-2012, 22:22
I will still be there for dinner. Got some folks driving down from outside Chicago to look at houses. I THINK they are changing their plan to Friday instead of Saturday, if so, I'll be there to hike.

Fat Man Walking
02-06-2012, 22:09
Well, I guess this is what I get for not checking WB more often. But, in this instance, it wouldn't have mattered since I have to be in Baltimore (Jack) on that day. Maybe Girly Girl and I can make it next year. Certainly enjoyed the dinner, company and the presentation last year.

I put a shout out in the "Get Together" forum right after Christmas but never got any responses. So, I figured that it wasn't going to happen. Oh well, I guess I should have known better.

See Yall Next Time!

Hikerhead
02-06-2012, 22:33
To be fair, several have replied in the "Nashville Backpacker" Meetup.com group. I also posted it as a HammockForums.net thread. So, I'm getting RSVPs in three places. I'll give a total head count as the time approaches.

And yes, HikerHead, it's been 6 years. (I thought maybe longer! LOL) Are you coming down this year?

Rain:sunMan .

With regrets, I can't make it. But Nashville will soon be gettin a new hiker extrordinare in J5MAN. He's moving down there in the next few weeks. He'll proabably be up for giving a presentation next year on one or two of many things, from Staying on course, to hiking fast and staying clean. And then his popular setting up and getting packed up quickly seminar is a good one. Plus his staying hydrated on the trail course usually sells out. His How To Pick A Good Hiking Buddy seminar has also been well recieved. I hope you two can meet up sometime.

Rain Man
02-06-2012, 22:54
But Nashville will soon be gettin a new hiker extrordinare in J5MAN. ... I hope you two can meet up sometime.

How soon they forget! The three of us had pizza together in Damascus last Trail Days. :) Will certainly look forward to getting with him for some hikes.

Hikerhead
02-06-2012, 23:24
Are we in that pic? let me get my magnifiers out :) Yeah I remember that noisy place and checking out yours and the groups tent set ups down at Larry's place. OK then, take him to that Greek place under the interstate where they do the Chicken dance. He'll like that.

Tennessee Y'sGuy
02-07-2012, 01:58
Count me in for dinner and the Red Hat presentation, I am doing my Thru hike in March. I look forward to some trail talk and meeting some fellow hikers!

Tn Ysguy

Just Plain Jim
02-07-2012, 11:33
My wife and I are still coming, and possibly 2 grandsons that came last year. See you at Ruby's.

Rain Man
02-07-2012, 13:48
Are we in that pic? let me get my magnifiers out :)

Click on the thumbnail, DUMMY!!!!! ROTFLMAO. Sorry, just had to pull yer lag a tad!

Greek place under Interstate, eh? (putting on my detective hat ....)

Cookerhiker
02-07-2012, 17:44
With regrets, I can't make it. But Nashville will soon be gettin a new hiker extrordinare in J5MAN. He's moving down there in the next few weeks. He'll proabably be up for giving a presentation next year on one or two of many things, from Staying on course, to hiking fast and staying clean. And then his popular setting up and getting packed up quickly seminar is a good one. Plus his staying hydrated on the trail course usually sells out. His How To Pick A Good Hiking Buddy seminar has also been well recieved. I hope you two can meet up sometime.

You failed to mention his snoring.:D At least so I've heard from a good source....

4shot
02-07-2012, 21:45
Rain Man...I've made the last 2 or 3 WB dinner/hikes but cannot get over there this time. I'm sure it will be the usual good time and hope to see you on the trail or at next year's get-together.

Hikerhead
02-07-2012, 22:10
You failed to mention his snoring.:D At least so I've heard from a good source....

Oh hell ya....plus he has a bear phobia....he's up all night yelling "There's a bear!!!" That's covered in his Hammock Camping seminar under why it's good to camp away from the crowds so others can sleep.

Razor
02-07-2012, 23:53
I signed up on meet-up but wanted to confirm here also. See you there----

HikerRanky
02-08-2012, 00:33
So is there going to be a group hike at 2pm? Jan (my wife) and I like Radnor Lake... That said, she's got short legs and likes to smell the roses on her hikes...

Rain Man
02-08-2012, 12:16
So is there going to be a group hike at 2pm? Jan (my wife) and I like Radnor Lake... That said, she's got short legs and likes to smell the roses on her hikes...

Yes, there will be a hike. I'd have a few inquiries about the hike, though not many. Would you be willing to take charge of the hike? That would take some of the day's burden off me, in case I need to be at REI getting RedHat's computer talking to REI's projector, or whatever. Most likely, I'll make the hike, but it'd be nice to have someone else in charge of it.

Last year I tried to get the rangers to let me lead our group across the brand new bridge (built after the Nashville Flood of May '10, which killed a dozen people and washed away some of the trails and road at Radnor), but they held fast. This year, the group can see that fancy new architectural creation on the new connector trail.

Rain Man
02-08-2012, 12:28
I have not done a consolidated head count yet, but it appears we'll have about 36 for dinner and the talk, and about half a dozen for the hike. Most locals are RSVP'ing on Nashville Backpacker Meetup.com. But we have others here on WB and also some on HammockForums.net.

I'll try to do an actual count later in the week.

However many, it's always a fun time!

HikerRanky
02-09-2012, 22:52
Yes, there will be a hike. I'd have a few inquiries about the hike, though not many. Would you be willing to take charge of the hike? That would take some of the day's burden off me, in case I need to be at REI getting RedHat's computer talking to REI's projector, or whatever. Most likely, I'll make the hike, but it'd be nice to have someone else in charge of it.Last year I tried to get the rangers to let me lead our group across the brand new bridge (built after the Nashville Flood of May '10, which killed a dozen people and washed away some of the trails and road at Radnor), but they held fast. This year, the group can see that fancy new architectural creation on the new connector trail.Rain:sunMan.Ok, I'll lead the hike.... However, Jan doesn't care to hike in cold weather, so it may be that I'll be by myself until dinner that evening.....If those that want to go hike be at REI at 1:30pm and we can take a couple of vehicles over to Radnor... I'm thinking that the South Cove Trail and then either Ganier Ridge Trail or the Lake Trail will be a great day hike.

J5man
02-10-2012, 21:35

Rain, I was almost able to make it this year. I have been in Nashville all week and coming back Sunday night. I will definitely make it next year and look forward to it. I would like to do a seminar on "How to push your hiking buddy over the edge of McAfee Knob and make it look like an accident"! LOL, I am going to miss my hikes (aka history lessons) with Hikerhead. It has taught me so much about hiking and hiking in the SW VA area. I think maybe we could talk him into making it to next year's event.

Rain Man
02-11-2012, 11:16
WB hiccuped and duplicated my post. So, ignore this! :)

Rain Man
02-11-2012, 11:17
I would like to do a seminar on "How to push your hiking buddy over the edge of McAfee Knob and make it look like an accident"! LOL, I am going to miss my hikes (aka history lessons) with Hikerhead. It has taught me so much about hiking and hiking in the SW VA area. I think maybe we could talk him into making it to next year's event.

Well, so far I've worked it so that I've gotten lots of good trail, shuttle, outfitter, restaurant, etc info out of HikerHead without actually having to hike with him!!! SWEET!!! LOLOLOL No urges to push anyone over the edge of McAfee ... yet.

Yeah, next year HikerHead will have used up all his usual excuses, since the last time he made it down for this annual gathering, so twist his arm and let's get him down here then!

We'll miss the two of you terribly today, but will muddle through in despair (and, apparently, in COLD!).

SawnieRobertson
02-11-2012, 12:51
Here it is! The big date! I know each of you will go to bed tonight happily satisfied with how you spent this evening. Red Hat has some good perspectives. I enjoyed listening to them along the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Thanks, Red Hat. Y'all have fun! It is the only way.

Kinnickinic
Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico

Rain Man
02-12-2012, 14:31
Well, another year and another great crowd and great time had by all. We had 6 on the hike at Radnor. Almost 30 for the dinner. And the same for RedHat's wonderful presentation about her various (I didn't know she had so many and so varied!) "thru" hikes on the AT (though she says she's just got the longest set of section hikes. Also thanks to Razor, who is the ATC Georgia Ridgerunner, for his comments too. All very helpful to those leaving this year on thru-hikes.

Here's a link to some photos, with captions. Enjoy!
http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/all_photos/?photoAlbumId=5977462

Thanks to ALL who participated!

Rain Man

Red Hat
02-14-2012, 07:59
Rain Man, thanks for putting it all together! I had a great time! PS no "thrus" just about 3500 miles in a bunch of sections including GA-ME in 2010.

Rain Man
02-14-2012, 17:16
Rain Man, thanks for putting it all together! I had a great time! PS no "thrus" just about 3500 miles in a bunch of sections including GA-ME in 2010.

Red Hat, thank YOU!!! I got lots of good comments and even that you inspired folks to think they might be able to do a thru, so now they are wanting to hit the AT. Thanks to Razor, too. Am glad those prospective thru's got to see and hear the ATC's Georgia Ridgerunner.

Cookerhiker
02-14-2012, 19:14
...I would like to do a seminar on "How to push your hiking buddy over the edge of McAfee Knob and make it look like an accident"! LOL, ....

As in here (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2940439630047269387xuyhCo][IMG]http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/83/72/4/39/63/2940439630047269387xuyhCo_th.jpg)?