PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Notch - first look impressions

Ender
01-14-2012, 15:12
So, I got some hands on with the Tarptent Notch today, and I have to say I'm very, very impressed. Henry Shires should be very happy with this design.

A friend of mine bought it and brought it to my place to have me check out. We went to the park next door, and in 20-30mph winds he set it up. Setup took at most 2 minutes, even in the winds, with little to no hassle. It needs only 4 stakes to set up, so the hassle factor is really low.

Inside the tent, there is enough area for a standard pad, and a wide pad would fit as well, though probably push against the sides of the bathtub floor a bit. Headroom was great when sitting up.

It's a symetrical design, with a door and vestibule on both sides. This allows for entering/exiting whichever side depending on wind/weather conditions. Vestibule size is good, and there's enough room for a pack on one side, and your boots on the other. I was surprised how much I liked this design, as I had never even considered the advantages of this before. It's slick.

The wind was easily handled by the Notch if it's coming from the head or foot end. If it was coming directly from the side, my guess is it would catch a bit, but that's no different than any other long&narrow tent.

My one complaint with the shelter is the material. It is available in SilNylon only, which has disadvantages; not fully waterproof, gains more weight in water compared to spinnaker/cuben, stretches when wet meaning needing to tighten the pitch when it starts raining, slippery as heck, and heavier than newer fabrics. On the flipside, it's also a more durable fabric than spinnaker or cuben, and it's still relatively lightweight.

Final impression for a morning of playing with it in the park is that it's Henry Shires best design yet (for my uses, which is single person, light weight, double-wall). I just wish it came in cuben fiber.

kevperro
01-15-2012, 18:36
So, I got some hands on with the Tarptent Notch today, and I have to say I'm very, very impressed. Henry Shires should be very happy with this design.

A friend of mine bought it and brought it to my place to have me check out. We went to the park next door, and in 20-30mph winds he set it up. Setup took at most 2 minutes, even in the winds, with little to no hassle. It needs only 4 stakes to set up, so the hassle factor is really low.

Inside the tent, there is enough area for a standard pad, and a wide pad would fit as well, though probably push against the sides of the bathtub floor a bit. Headroom was great when sitting up.

It's a symetrical design, with a door and vestibule on both sides. This allows for entering/exiting whichever side depending on wind/weather conditions. Vestibule size is good, and there's enough room for a pack on one side, and your boots on the other. I was surprised how much I liked this design, as I had never even considered the advantages of this before. It's slick.

The wind was easily handled by the Notch if it's coming from the head or foot end. If it was coming directly from the side, my guess is it would catch a bit, but that's no different than any other long&narrow tent.

My one complaint with the shelter is the material. It is available in SilNylon only, which has disadvantages; not fully waterproof, gains more weight in water compared to spinnaker/cuben, stretches when wet meaning needing to tighten the pitch when it starts raining, slippery as heck, and heavier than newer fabrics. On the flipside, it's also a more durable fabric than spinnaker or cuben, and it's still relatively lightweight.

Final impression for a morning of playing with it in the park is that it's Henry Shires best design yet (for my uses, which is single person, light weight, double-wall). I just wish it came in cuben fiber.

I don't have one yet but from eye-balling it.... I'd agree. I'm going to sell a couple items and buy one. Looks like my perfect shelter.

Toolshed
01-15-2012, 19:08
Do the ends of your bag hit the head or foot of the Notch?

skinewmexico
01-15-2012, 21:43
I pretty sure Henry explained why that design wouldn't work in cuben over on BPL, but I couldn't find the thread.

BradMT
01-15-2012, 22:28

I just sold my Rainbow, and the Notch is what I plan on replacing it with... looks like a winner to me.

jakedatc
01-15-2012, 22:31
Search for putting seam seal X's on the floor to make it less slippery. my Contrail is the same way but with the X's the pad stays still.

RayBan
01-15-2012, 22:33
I pretty sure Henry explained why that design wouldn't work in cuben over on BPL, but I couldn't find the thread.

I talked to Henry last year about doing a cuben version of the Moment and his response was that the weight savings really weren't all that significant given that the floor was still silnylon. He also indicated that the cost increase would be very substantial.

Ender
01-15-2012, 23:24
Do the ends of your bag hit the head or foot of the Notch?

I'm 6'0" and was able to lay out no problem. The foot of the bag could brush the bottom of the inner tent if you wanted more headroom, but it's netting so you wouldn't be picking up any condensation.

I talked to Henry last year about doing a cuben version of the Moment and his response was that the weight savings really weren't all that significant given that the floor was still silnylon. He also indicated that the cost increase would be very substantial.

I had a similar conversation with him. Weight savings wouldn't be huge, but there would still be weight savings, especially if you had a cuben floor as well. That said, the weight savings isn't the only advantage of cuben or spinnaker, and frankly not the most important to me. And cost... yeah, those fabrics cost more, but it's something I would be willing to spend the money on.

Still, it's a great tent as is, and it has me sorely tempted anyway. :)

RayBan
01-16-2012, 00:11
I had a similar conversation with him. Weight savings wouldn't be huge, but there would still be weight savings, especially if you had a cuben floor as well.

Being made of cuben and having a cuben floor, either sewn in as an option or via the "groundcloth insert" that can be purchased separately, is a feature the zpacks hexamids offer. http://www.zpacks.com

Ender
01-16-2012, 11:18
Being made of cuben and having a cuben floor, either sewn in as an option or via the "groundcloth insert" that can be purchased separately, is a feature the zpacks hexamids offer. http://www.zpacks.com

Yeah, those are decent shelters, and you really can't beat the weight. That said, the Notch design is really fantastic, would rather just have that in cuben or spinnaker.

What I really dug about the Notch was that it only takes four stakes to set up. But I'm considering the Zpack shelter as well, as well as the Lightheart shelter. Kinda can't go wrong with any of them.

phaedrus
01-16-2012, 20:24
Does the notch need to be seam sealed?

Ender
01-16-2012, 23:07
Does the notch need to be seam sealed?

Yep.

Tinker
01-16-2012, 23:30
From Tarptent website: Do Tarptents need to be seam-sealed?Yes. All seams over your living space should be sealed. Silicone is the only material that will stick to the fabric. Urethane sealer will flake off. An inexpensive product that works well is GE Silicone II clear sealer/glue. It is available as a squeeze tube in most US hardware stores or in the Tarptent Store. Set up the tent ouside in a well-ventilated location. Mix about a tablespoon of silicone with a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits(paint thinner) and then apply the solution with a small foam brush. Add more mineral spirits if the solution gets too thick. The goal is heavy olive oil consistency. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes. Please refer to the seam-sealing video (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ttvideos.html#seamseal) to see the full procedure. We also offer seam-sealing as a service ($25) if you would like. Please contact us for instructions how to include seam-sealing with your order.

phaedrus
01-16-2012, 23:31
Thanks, reading over the description on site doesn't say either way. I assumed as much since it is Sil but wanted clarification.

jjimen16
01-17-2012, 02:05
i literally just hit the "finalize order!" button for this tent. It is the perfect specs that I was looking for...

two doors/vests.
double wall!
good head room
well under 2lbs (including 4 al. stakes!)
small pack size
simple looking set up (seems awesome for setting up in storms!) (one of the main things I hated about lightheart solo)
not over $500 (like most cubens)
Made in US

Sold my hubba hubba for this. I cant believe I just now discovered this legit tent, I dont know where I was looking this whole time.
Cant wait for it to arrive!

Big Dawg
01-17-2012, 04:10
Agree, Agree, Agree!!!! I haven't had a chance to take my Notch on a trip yet, but set it up in my yard again today,,, and oh how pleased I am!!! Pinacle of success, Henry!! Bravo!!!

stranger
01-17-2012, 07:24
I wouldn't worry about the sleeping bag brushing up against the sides or end of the net-tent in the Notch as there is substantial distance from the ends of the net-tent and the canopy, this means you are extremely unlikely to get any form of condensation on the net-tent because the temperature inside the tent and under the tarp will be the same.

I've knocked Tarptents in the past, I've been disappointed with their products before...the Notch is a great design. You can use the netting in a shelter, the tarp without the netting, it's side entry so no pole smack dead in the middle of your entrance, well under 2lbs, reasonale price, etc....

Singletrack
01-17-2012, 07:37
Yes, and "Mist Proofed" with Atsko Water Guard Extreme.

TyTy
01-17-2012, 10:26
It is my understanding that these three new TT designs (Notch, SS1, SS2) are using sil-nylon with a slightly higher static head/water resistance than the previous models, fyi.

ScottC
01-17-2012, 15:59
Does anybody have trail reports/pictures of the Notch? I'm still trying to get a feel whether this tent will work for me...

jjimen16
01-17-2012, 16:33
Does anybody have trail reports/pictures of the Notch? I'm still trying to get a feel whether this tent will work for me...

I will post pics as soon as i get the tent in the mail, pack size, set up, etc.

Lyle
01-17-2012, 17:06
That looks real nice. I love my Gossamer Gear "The One", but it is somewhat more complicated to pitch, and cannot be separated. It is quite a bit lighter, but I will be tempted to buy one of these.

Looks a real winner. Will definitely be recommending this as an option for friends, especially since The One is not currently available.

Bloomer
01-17-2012, 21:22
I'm going to get one of these for summer use. My BA Copper Spur will keep me warmer in the colder months, However; the Notch is half the pack weight of the BA. Real nice Tarp Tent and I never thought I'd be purchasing one. Can't wait to hear feedback because I will not be using this tent untill May.

stranger
01-21-2012, 09:29
It is my understanding that these three new TT designs (Notch, SS1, SS2) are using sil-nylon with a slightly higher static head/water resistance than the previous models, fyi.

Where's Franco when you need him?

Bloomer
01-23-2012, 01:01
Can anyone recommend a good 'foot print' for the notch?

Glogg
01-23-2012, 01:24
A piece of Tyvek or nothing at all; Henry Shires mentions on his site that he never gets tents back needing floor repairs..

Singletrack
01-23-2012, 06:10
Where's Franco when you need him?
Probably testing tents in his backyard.

Bloomer
01-23-2012, 11:40
So Tyvek isn't permiable (sp?) and doesn't let water through? Or is it just a protective layer?

Glogg
01-23-2012, 12:22
Do take a look at http://tarptent.com/faq.html for more information. I personally own a Notch (have only used it in the field on 2 dry nights to date) but don't plan on using any sort of groundsheet with it, based on what I read in that link.

I am planning to carry a piece of tyvek for the purpose of protecting my Neoair mattress from possible splinters in shelter floors, but that's a separate issue. Sorry for the terse and ambiguous post I made above in #26.

Big Dawg
01-24-2012, 00:30
Can anyone recommend a good 'foot print' for the notch?

I use a silnylon floor treatment on all of my tarptents. Go to jwbasecamp.com and look for "A treatment for silnylon floors". It only adds an ounce or 2, gives you that extra protection "just in case", and you don't have an extra fabric to deal with, like tyvek. Then paint a few stripes or dots on the interior tent floor to help keep your sleeping pad in place.

Half Note
01-24-2012, 11:11
I could never justify spending $260 on something like this.

/thrift store hiker

stranger
01-24-2012, 22:12
A piece of Tyvek or nothing at all; Henry Shires mentions on his site that he never gets tents back needing floor repairs..

He got mine back for repairs, before it was used and still brand new.

stranger
01-24-2012, 22:18
I use a silnylon floor treatment on all of my tarptents. Go to jwbasecamp.com and look for "A treatment for silnylon floors". It only adds an ounce or 2, gives you that extra protection "just in case", and you don't have an extra fabric to deal with, like tyvek. Then paint a few stripes or dots on the interior tent floor to help keep your sleeping pad in place.

What I don't understand is why this is not an option with the shelter, who really wants to spend their time doing this?

Bloomer
01-24-2012, 22:53
I could never justify spending $260 on something like this.

/thrift store hiker,

Can't justify supporting the current US gov't but. some will carry the weight of the world on there shoulders. I like the design of this TT and wanted a UL shelter. Being a combat Infantry Vet, I have earned the right to shop in any thrift store. I'm sure Henry is glad to take my hard earned money.

Big Dawg
01-25-2012, 04:01
who really wants to spend their time doing this?

Me,,,, because it's really no big deal. It's a cheap and quick alternative that gives me peace of mind.

stranger
01-25-2012, 06:27
Yeah I don't doubt it's piece of mind, as my post said I wish I could pay Tarptent to do this rather than do it myself. I feel like I would F it up

Bloomer
01-25-2012, 16:26
The cost to have them to the sealing is now $25. Got a email from Henry yesterday telling me the weather is preventing outside work. For the $ I know it will be done right and like Stranger says "that is peace of mind."

Big Dawg
01-26-2012, 01:23
Yeah I don't doubt it's piece of mind, as my post said I wish I could pay Tarptent to do this rather than do it myself. I feel like I would F it up

Yeah, it would be convenient if Tarptent offered that service, but Henry probably feels it's unnecessary anyway. Sealing the seams, yes. Adding an extra coat of silicone to the floor, no.
Jim's site (where the silicone treatment instructions are) is very detailed, and makes it seem a little harder than it is. Basically, mix appropriate parts silicone to parts denatured alky in an old soup can. Ingredients can be found at walmart, home depot, etc.. Super easy so far. Then lay tent upside down on ground, and stake it out. Use a cheap paint brush to paint the "slurry" onto the bottom of the tent. Still easy easy. Let it dry for an hour or so. Done. Easy!!! I really don't think you could f' it up if you tried Stranger.

The cost to have them to the sealing is now $25. Got a email from Henry yesterday telling me the weather is preventing outside work. For the $ I know it will be done right and like Stranger says "that is peace of mind."

$25 to seal the seams only... which is probably what you meant, but just clarifying since your post was right after Stranger's post talking about adding extra layer of silicone to bottom of tent.

ScottC
04-22-2012, 20:39
So I had asked earlier about trail reports/pics of the Notch in use. I ordered my Notch a few weeks ago (the standard version now that Henry is offering 3 types of inner nets) and seam sealed it myself with silicone/mineral spirits mixture. Its first trip was a section hike last weekend in PA and it performed great. The seam sealing got tested during showers that lasted a whole night and there were no leaks. Also, I love the quick setup - 4 stakes, quick line tensioning and you're done! Overall, I'm very impressed with the Notch's design and Henry's workmanship/quality. I've definitely settled on the shelter for my system.

Here is a picture of the Notch setup on a tent platform at Quarry Gap Shelter (PA).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9_OrNAxp2HM/T5SiiPG5XEI/AAAAAAAAAWo/6pLFp6YqP5I/s640/DSCI5726.JPG?gl=US

ScottC
04-22-2012, 20:42

Sorry - I geeked the picture upload.

Franco
04-24-2012, 02:01
Hi Scott
Great shot !
I mentioned before that the Moment is easier to set up on platform than some "freestanding" tents but the Notch is not all the different.
yesterday I was going to suggest sending the shot to HS for the product page but I see that you have made it to the Gallery.
Franco

Big Dawg
04-24-2012, 05:38
Henry is offering 3 types of inner nets

I thought it was only 2. I see the newest pic of a 25x76 pad in the interior, but thought that was just showing that the interior would hold a larger pad too.

Franco
04-24-2012, 21:13
Two inners (interior) , three options.
Either or both.
With the Scarp (here in Australia) probably one in three purchase both.
I had a play with the "semi solid" inner , it can be a good option for windy areas including (I think...) where sand is involved.
Could also work well for the guys doing a tru starting early or finishing late.
Franco

stranger
04-26-2012, 23:25
Franco can you update me on the hydrostatic head being used in the Notch? Also what are the floor dimensions? Finally, do you think the partial mesh/partial breathable nylong would repel spray better? Like splashing that made it's way under the fly?

Where can I have a look at a Notch in Aussie? Or do I need to order one from the states?

Franco
04-27-2012, 01:35
Stranger
As you know TT s are sold directly from TT USA.
I have some stock on hand so that I can seam seal them on demand and occasionally folk pop in to have a look at them here in port Melbourne.
(so if you are close, well let me know...)
TT does not publish waterhead figures but the same silnylon used by other USA "cottage" manufacturers is usually referred to as "1200mm "
The fabric part (the bottom 2/3rds of the inner) is water resistant , same stuff as in the Scarps inner, so yes it will help for splashes and give more wind protection.
As for floor size , there are detailed drawings on the product page , under "specifications" and then show dimensions :
http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html#specs
(about 15.2 sq ft plus vestibules)
Franco

stranger
04-27-2012, 05:34
Cheers I thought you might have sold them in Australia that's why I asked. Thanks for the info.

Live_for_hiking
05-17-2012, 16:57
I've had my notch for a while now. I really like the tent.

I'm a big 5'11" and I tend to pack light, not ultra-light. I recently chose to hike a couple days in the rain to test out my ugly seam sealing job on the tent. I'll just provide my observations in quick notes below.

Room in the tent. Length is very generous. A hiker that is 6 feet + should be OK. Width is not very generous. I'm a big guy and laying flat on my back, my arms touched the sides. Having said that, it was fine because of the HUGE vestibules.
Room in vestibules: Two entries. Two large vestibules. What is not to like?
Stability. Dry weather and moderate winds did not phase the tent. Rain and saturated ground did have a negative impact when using the standard tent stakes. I had one end come undone during in the middle of a rainy night. I should have placed a rock over each stake. I consider that user error. I could also buy longer stakes .....
Water-Proofing. I used silicone based seam sealer from REI. I will use Frank's method on the next tent I buy. It was an ugly job but .... I stayed BONE DRY. The tent requires very little re-adjusting (tightening) when it gets wet.
Condensation. There is ample ventilation and I did not experience heavy condensation inside regardless if it was a dry night or there was rain. I've used the tent along the PA section of the AT.

I think it is important to note this is a minimalist tent. Some backpackers like to have gear inside with them so they can dry their garments or spread out. Frank recommends you use some of the seam sealer on the inside floor. Don't be shy with that seam sealer! You can also use a thin pad to help your neo-air from moving around. I tend to bring a GG thinpad, luxury item, with me when I hike. I like the design so much that I am considering the StratoSpire as well.

Praha4
05-17-2012, 19:51
Live for hiking:

thanks for your comments, I just received my Notch and seam sealed it, getting ready for my first hike with it... so far I'm very impressed with the design. I also own a Moment, and like it, but the Notch appealed to me more because it's lighter and no need for the Moment's hoop pole.

did you carry a groundcloth? I've always used a tyvek groundcloth with my Tarptents, now trying to cutout another tyvek sheet for the Notch

Live_for_hiking
05-18-2012, 10:26
Live for hiking:

thanks for your comments, I just received my Notch and seam sealed it, getting ready for my first hike with it... so far I'm very impressed with the design. I also own a Moment, and like it, but the Notch appealed to me more because it's lighter and no need for the Moment's hoop pole.

did you carry a groundcloth? I've always used a tyvek groundcloth with my Tarptents, now trying to cutout another tyvek sheet for the Notch

Yep. I use the kite-making tyvek. It's lighter than the traditional stuff.

slovakiasteph
05-20-2012, 14:27
I like the look of this tent... have been watching TTs for years. They keep getting better and better. :)

hikerinnc
05-20-2012, 22:18
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33840804@N08/7237274630/in/set-72157629821423186

Here is my Notch a couple of days ago near Thomas Knob shelter on the AT. It weathered a tough storm that night.

Japp
06-17-2012, 12:03
Are you folks using the mesh or the partial solid?

hikerinnc
06-17-2012, 21:25
Full mesh. For those humid summer nights.

Live_for_hiking
06-18-2012, 10:44
Full mesh here too.....

Joker4ink
07-05-2012, 01:14
Full mesh...and I love it!

Franco
07-12-2012, 01:02
Just read the thread again...
hard to believe but I was fiddling with it in my backyard and it is raining, so one quick tip first :
if you need to re-tension the shelter , first lift the poles up a bit, next (if that is not enough) if you undo the two cliups that hold the inner at the apex, you can easely adjust the end tie outs from the inside by opening the end vents.
Incidentally this is how my Notch looks set up on snow.

I use the poletips/baskets in the snow and a couple of guylines attached to the D ring that holds the inner .
Using those extra guyline also allows the sides to be fully opened.
BTW, note that the inner is touching the fly on the left end , this was because the ground was higher there, so take care in finding a flat spot or pull the end of the inner down away from the fly.
Franco

Drybones
07-12-2012, 17:55
I may have put the first Notch on the AT when I left in March. I did not see any other than the one I had. I had reservations that the tent would be too tight for me but I'd have to say it was sized perfect for me. I was able to unload most of my pack and place items around my bag. I'm 6'2", 180. It went up and came down fast. One nice trick I learned was to take a short section of cord, about 8", and put a loop in each end and use it to hang my pack from one of the hiking poles. The loop on one end went over the pointed end of the pole and the loop on the other end had a clip I used to hang my pack from. With a door on both sides I could swing the pack into the tent to get items when I needed them and keep my pack off the ground and out of the water. My favorite tent thus far...I believe I'm up to eight now...time for a yard sale.

Praha4
07-12-2012, 18:19
I may have put the first Notch on the AT when I left in March. I did not see any other than the one I had. I had reservations that the tent would be too tight for me but I'd have to say it was sized perfect for me. I was able to unload most of my pack and place items around my bag. I'm 6'2", 180. It went up and came down fast. One nice trick I learned was to take a short section of cord, about 8", and put a loop in each end and use it to hang my pack from one of the hiking poles. The loop on one end went over the pointed end of the pole and the loop on the other end had a clip I used to hang my pack from. With a door on both sides I could swing the pack into the tent to get items when I needed them and keep my pack off the ground and out of the water. My favorite tent thus far...I believe I'm up to eight now...time for a yard sale.

thanks for the tip, great idea, one could use an extra shoestring for your idea on hanging the pack in the shelter. After using a Black Diamond Betalight tarp for a couple years, I really have come to prefer the shelter design using 2 hiking poles for support. They are easy and quick to setup, even in high winds. The Notch really appealed to me over the Betalight with the bugnet and floor already inside. I'll likely use the Notch in summer and keep using the Betalight in early spring and fall when it's cooler and we're out of bug season.

I'm in a similar situation on owning too many tents (among other items of hiking gear). I now have 5 tents, and that's after selling two. Time for another yard sale here too. I'll be using my new Notch on my planned LT e2e hike this September, looking forward to it.

bamboo bob
07-12-2012, 18:26
$25 to seal the seams only... which is probably what you meant, but just clarifying since your post was right after Stranger's post talking about adding extra layer of silicone to bottom of tent.[/QUOTE

I am really glad to find out about that sealing option. At the PCT kick off in 2009, I asked Mr Shires why he doesn't seem seal the "tarptents" and he told me it would slow down shipping them out. I thought that made no sense because I had to seam seal myself before I went anywhere and it would likely take me longer than his operation plus I'm likely to do a half-assed job. I really think it should be ready to go out of the box. How many hikers bought one for shipping somewhere on the trail and had it shipped assuming it was seam sealed. I've used a squall and rainbow and they were both as advertised. Light, not very durable, but OK. I just sold my squall because I value durable over light these days.

Drybones
07-12-2012, 22:02
The upside...only has 4 stakes which makes it easy to put up/take down and saves weight. Downside...only has 4 stakes which is less stable in high winds. Replace the 6" stakes with 8" stakes, had mine come down the first night in the back yard with heavy rain to soften the ground and high winds...the 8" stakes took care of the problem.

Franco
07-15-2012, 07:17
here is mine this morning .
One Easton 8" 16628stake at each hand, one snow stake at each door and my snow shoes for the added guylines.
(I knocked the snow off 3 or 4 times during the night , every time I woke up...)
Franco

Drybones
07-15-2012, 07:59
A Notch at sunrise near Dennis Cove.