PDA

View Full Version : best cheapo cell for the trail that can load simple pics.

Libertyguy
01-14-2012, 17:59
Sorry if this has been posted I try using the search bar but It seems to never pull up anything.

I'm looking for the best phone to bring with me. I'm going to have a solar charger. It needs to be the kind I can buy a card for every month. no more than say 30 dollars. Which is the best for uploading pictures and posting on facebook, emails sorta thing?

BigHodag
01-14-2012, 19:15
Many hikers have used TracFones and Verizon pre-paid cell phones along the AT. The problem with buying a $20 pre-paid phone is the phones' micro-USB ports have been disabled for direct connection to PCs. Pre-paid phones are generally limited to using MMS messaging to move photos one at a time.

You'll likely have a better experience buying a late model, unlocked ATT or T-Mobile phone. I bought an unlocked ATT LG Incite (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2011/02/backpacking-gear-lg-incite-windows.html) for use as a trail phone. I bought a T-Mobile SIMM for about $6 and buy the $10/90 days phone cards to add time. Didn't have any trouble with connections in NJ or NY this past year.

I have seen unlocked LG Incite phones for $50-60 on Amazon. You might find a family member or friend has a suitable old phone in a drawer.

One caveat: Verizon phones are incompatible with ATT and T-Mobile.

strollingalong
01-14-2012, 19:16
I'd love to know too... no contract or need of US residency. we call them pay as you go phones in the UK.... reasonablyish priced internet would be great

birdygal
01-14-2012, 19:46
I am looking for the same for a thru hike, Never had a cell phone as I am not a phone gabbing person but would like to upload some pictures along the way to facebook for my friends

English Stu
01-15-2012, 06:44
I am in the UK and had used a $20 Tracfone on my last section hike of the 100ml Wilderness 18 mths ago. It was a real ball ache to set up with codes and credit card details.Ok if you are Phone savvy, I needed help from from people familiar with US phone systems.

RWheeler
01-15-2012, 10:32
This is the phone (http://www.amazon.com/LG-LG500G-Tracfone-Double-Minutes/dp/B004ZL9IZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326637593&sr=8-1) I plan to bring with me. Seems to do enough of what I want for it to work as a quick, simple phone. I haven't enabled it, yet, though, because of the whole 3 month expiration thing. So I don't know about uploading to Facebook, but it does have Internet (uses 0.5 minutes to connect, and 0.5 minutes per actual minute).

The double minutes thing and it being a pretty cheap phone made it a good sell for me. But again, I haven't actually used it yet, I was going to wait a bit longer before I actually activated it.

dmax
01-15-2012, 10:45
Stay away from buying a cheap phone from wal mart. At least the verizon ones anyway. They are refurbished phones with no warrenty. I found out the hard way when mine crashed after 2 weeks. So I ended up buying a new one from the verizon store.

Miami Joe
01-15-2012, 18:05
I am looking for the same for a thru hike, Never had a cell phone as I am not a phone gabbing person but would like to upload some pictures along the way to facebook for my friends

Fuji makes waterproof disposable digital cameras. http://bit.ly/wYmPcS

RWheeler
01-15-2012, 19:21
Fuji makes waterproof disposable digital cameras. http://bit.ly/wYmPcS

You still need to develop the film from those, though. So may not be as practical, unless they're already planning on using a lot of mail drops and such.

woodstramp
01-16-2012, 06:30
Though I've not used it on a long hike, or know how well Virgin Moblie covers the AT areas, I really like my Virgin Mobile Optimus (android). I've seen this phone on sale for about $80 and the basic prepaid monthly charge is $35/month. THat plan gets you 300 minutes of talk, unlimited texting, unlimited data. The data is actually non-throttled, unlike most of the contract jobs out now. It is also WIFI capable, so, if you get within radio range of an open Wifi you can still get online. I think it uses Sprint network towers.