PDA

View Full Version : Life is short

HiKen2011
01-14-2012, 21:02
I just found out today that a friend of mine had a massive heart attack. The doctors worked on him for almost 15 minutes and did bring him back. Not sure at this point if there is any brain damage or not. He is a relatively wealthy man, 52 yrs. old with several business's and quite frugal. Works all the time and money seems to be his main concern. I can't get him off my mind this evening and am wondering if his priorities will change? Life is soooooooooo short. So much more to life than money. Praying for his quick recovery.

Storm
01-14-2012, 22:46
Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he has a complete and speedy recovery.

10-K
01-15-2012, 08:00
Well, there is a pretty big chance he's already doing what he loves - not everyone has the same goals and priorities.

I know a few people who get a thrill out of starting new businesses.

Frog
01-15-2012, 08:16
Hope he has a full recovery. My sister in law suddenly died last week from injuries she got from a crash while on her way to church while riding in the back seat of a friend of hers car. She had just retired from work and was just starting to enjoy the not having to work anymore thing. She was an avid hiker and looked forward to section hiking every year. She will surely be missed by our family. Life is sure to short to not get out and enjoy what you like whether hiking or starting a new company or what ever. We are only here a short while. Try to enjoy it all.

peakbagger
01-15-2012, 08:24
I have known a few folks who took the hint and changed their lifestyle but far more that didnt. Sometimes "frugal" folks, dont take the time to visit a doctor and if they do, dont take the doctors advice as they are balancing immediate gratification from what they do compared to an indefinite future problem. Its tough with someone with a type A personality as their successful risk taking is what most likely made them prosperous.

My father had a heart attack when he retired, when he was in the cardiac ICU, his doctor point out folks in their 50's and predicted that he would see the majority of them again, he had much more luck with retirees as they generally were willing to change their lifestyle as they had already gone through a major lifestyle change when they retired.

Old Hillwalker
01-15-2012, 08:26
Life has been long for me for many years, and then suddenly (it seems) it becomes too short. At 72 I seem to be lasting longer than most of my friends so that every day I wake up wondering if this is my last day. Six years ago I started adopting senior dogs (all Yellow Labs) so as not to have them outlive me.

I hope I live to see 90, but if not it's been a pretty good run. At least the last few years have been, sitting up on top of my little mountain. Live carefully and and long everyone.

Ladyofthewoods
01-15-2012, 08:28
Hope he has a full recovery. My sister in law suddenly died last week from injuries she got from a crash while on her way to church while riding in the back seat of a friend of hers car. She had just retired from work and was just starting to enjoy the not having to work anymore thing. She was an avid hiker and looked forward to section hiking every year. She will surely be missed by our family. Life is sure to short to not get out and enjoy what you like whether hiking or starting a new company or what ever. We are only here a short while. Try to enjoy it all.
So sorry to hear this about your friend. The above sentence with the 'whether hiking or starting a new company' really struck a nerve. My estranged husband wants the new company and I want the hike. At this point we've agreed to let each other do what we each want, but it will ultimately mean not being with each other in the long run. Life is all about compromising, but not about your core values.

Del Q
01-15-2012, 08:55
Awful news. A friend once said when you turn 50 you start getting the calls, friends, loved ones, calls from your doctor, etc.

I am 52, have a 17 year old son recovering from stage 4B cancer plus other complicated medical issues, some permanent. Closest friend brain tumor last year, hope they stop the growth, another friend died last year, plenty of other tough stuff with employees and others..................

Hospital visits and funerals help remind me to stay healthy, work out and spend time doing what I like. So glad that I started section hiking years ago and take 3-4 weeks off per year away from business, out in the woods.

If I had enough money I would temporarily retire from this crazy world and spend a LOT more time doing what I love, not what I have to do.

Summit
01-15-2012, 13:00
I've had more than one pastor relate that after hundreds of bedside visits with dying people, they had never had anyone say, "you know, I wish I'd spent more time at the office (or my business)," or "I wish I had made more money." But invariably these near death people said things like "I wish I'd spent more time with my wife/children/family." "I wish I'd not worked so hard to make more money, but rather spent time doing fun things." "I wish I'd spent more time doing nice things for my friends and other people."

Far too many people only think about a lifetime of wrong priorities at the very end of life, when it's too late! Think about your current priorities now, and if some changes are needed, make them . . . before it's too late!!!!

Blue Jay
01-15-2012, 14:37
Well, there is a pretty big chance he's already doing what he loves - not everyone has the same goals and priorities.

I know a few people who get a thrill out of starting new businesses.

I love your Pollyanna attitude and wish I could share it. In this case you are correct many people love to chase money, often the only thing they care about. There is happiness in that.

hikerboy57
01-15-2012, 14:57
I love your Pollyanna attitude and wish I could share it. In this case you are correct many people love to chase money, often the only thing they care about. There is happiness in that.its true we each hike our own hike in life itselfthere are many who die happy knowing their family is taken care of because he bustd his butt his entire life, and chose to work rather than hike. Life is indeed too short, but its impossible to judge someone elses life and decisions along the way. some are forced, some are voluntary choices, some feel the man with the most toys wins, etc..in the end theres only one judge, who i understand is quite forgiving(at least i hope so.).
what this does do is continue to reinforce our own personal choices and wonder whether we're on the right trail.

Plodderman
01-15-2012, 16:33
Prayers offered and your friend is my age. Yes life short, hope for a full recovery.

Kookork
01-15-2012, 17:04
I just found out today that a friend of mine had a massive heart attack. The doctors worked on him for almost 15 minutes and did bring him back. Not sure at this point if there is any brain damage or not. He is a relatively wealthy man, 52 yrs. old with several business's and quite frugal. Works all the time and money seems to be his main concern. I can't get him off my mind this evening and am wondering if his priorities will change? Life is soooooooooo short. So much more to life than money. Praying for his quick recovery.

It seems he has been lucky enough to be given a second chance for life. Many don't have this second chance.
Some focus on success more than happiness and some mistake these two with one another.

Take it as a harsh wake up call of life. As 10 K said if he is happy with what he has done then he would not change anything. It is not uncommon to see him change his priorities though.

I have been successful and unhappy. I have been unsuccessful and happy.The best is being successful and happy at the same time but easier said than done bro. It is a delicate balance.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2012, 20:10
a month after i turned 50 i had a massive heart attack and a quadruple by-pass. life can be short