PDA

View Full Version : Stecoah Gap to Wesser as a dayhike?

camich
03-14-2005, 18:37
I know it's only 13.6 miles but the book I'm using rates it as strenuous. My husband and I will be hiking with our boys (ages 11 and 14). We originally planned to do this hike as an overnighter Mar 22-23 but right now the forecast is looking a bit wet and chilly. Any advice from those who have hiked this section will be greatly appreciated!:confused:

Rain Man
03-14-2005, 18:47
I know it's only 13.6 miles but the book I'm using rates it as strenuous. My husband and I will be hiking with our boys (ages 11 and 14). We originally planned to do this hike as an overnighter Mar 22-23 but right now the forecast is looking a bit wet and chilly. Any advice from those who have hiked this section will be greatly appreciated!:confused:

I did this section NOBO last fall as part of a longer hike, and actually spent the night at Sassafras Gap Shelter, which is on this section. It is a rigorous section of trail, but you'll be going downhill into Wesser.

If you are strong hikers, you shouldn't have any particular difficulty. By strong, I don't mean you all look and hike like Rambo or Scwharzeneggar do in movies, but that you have done practice hikes and some conditioning in advance. In other words, you're not just hitting the trail straight from the couch and GameBoys. I ran into two dayhikers doing that section. I also ran into one SOBO thru-hiker who hiked from Fontana to Wesser in one day!

For what it's worth. YMMV.

Rain Man

MDSHiker
03-14-2005, 19:05
I did that same section as a dayhike a few years ago. It took me approx. 7hrs which includes a lunch break. Yes, there are some steep climbs but you have all day right? I'd go for it !

SGT Rock
03-14-2005, 19:34
The only concern I would have is start time to end time. It should start getting dark there around 1800, so you would need to get started prior to 1000 if you want to do it before it gets dark on the trail. I assume you know if your boys can make 14 mile days before you take them out?

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2005, 19:38
It isa certainly not the location to do your first 14 mile day..if you have done other 14 mile day hikes then perhaps,, it is a tough 14 miles,

will U be hiking N-S or S-N?

SnakebiteSurvivor
03-14-2005, 19:49
I checked my notebooks and see that I did this section a couple of years ago leaving Stecoah Gap at 6:40 AM and reaching the parking lot at Wesser just after 1 PM. The first couple of hours are a tough climb, but you'll be fresh starting out, and from there it's mostly downhill.

One Leg
03-14-2005, 22:33
If you're heading NB, Stecoah Gap is one mother of a climb, but do-able. I hiked it last year in the snow, and managed to hike 13 miles in a full day (10 hours)....Without limitations, you should be able to do it under that. If you're just gonna be out for that one section, then why rush it? Take your time and enjoy an overnighter.

cutman11
03-15-2005, 03:07
The section from Cheoah Bald to Wesser is pretty steep regardless of direction. There is a very nice campsite on Cheoah Bald, if you want to split it up. It would be at the end of the climb from Steacoah Gap(sorry spelling bad).

camich
03-15-2005, 08:00
Thanks for all the info/advice. We've done 14+ mile days before but they were easier hikes. We're looking forward to getting out there next week.

Jaybird
03-15-2005, 08:59
this is "very do-able"...even with 2 small boys....who'll probably surprise you in their joy for the trail.

i hiked this section NOBO (w/ "Jigsaw") & covered it in less than 1 day.
there's a shelter just south of WESSER (about a mile south of Nantahala Outdoor Center). :D

good luck.

neo
03-16-2005, 00:00
very easily do able,i hiked from rufus morgan shelter to browns fork shelter eaisly
could have made it to fontana in one day:cool: neo

The Solemates
03-16-2005, 10:36
we hiked from browns fork shelter to fontana and got to jeff and nancy's by 1pm....so only a half day for a little bit longer mileage-wise. granted we were in thru-hiking shape and had family waiting on us (it was valentines day), but its easily doable.