PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing personal comfort question

dmperkins74
01-15-2012, 12:12
Hi fellow adventurers, I've got somewhat delicate question to ask and I'll try to do so cleanly. Sometimes, (I notice more in winter when I'm wearing thermal longjohns) while I'm hiking, things get very... hmm... uncomfortable "down there", specifically, right where my thighs meet my ... uh... personal business. I've been putting generous portions of baby powder in my undies which seems to help but not always.

SO, now that I got all of that awkwardness out of the way, and we're all much closer than we were before you started reading this, any thoughts? I'll try anything, (almost) if it increases my level of comfort on hikes.

Thanks,
AlphaPig (sure am glad to have a trail name in an instance like this!!!!)

strollingalong
01-15-2012, 12:21
always have arse and thigh chafe issues. especially when I'm overweight (like now)....but the other day I bought a pair of Nike compression shorts... felt a lil tight and when you start sweating in them the first time it has a weird feeling but that lasts just 10 minutes, no issues at all since wearing those on hikes... cups the little fellas well too

Summit
01-15-2012, 12:26
A lot of people suffer from chaffing under various conditions. You are by no means alone. This will fix the problem:

http://www.rei.com/product/745878/bodyglide-anti-chafe-formula-045-oz

That's the small size (to cut down weight) but it comes in 1.3 and 2.5 oz sizes also. You might also give compression underwear a try. With mine I hardly ever have chaffing but keep some BodyGlide handy for the rare occasion that I do need it.

kayak karl
01-15-2012, 12:49
A lot of people suffer from chaffing under various conditions. You are by no means alone. This will fix the problem:

http://www.rei.com/product/745878/bodyglide-anti-chafe-formula-045-oz

That's the small size (to cut down weight) but it comes in 1.3 and 2.5 oz sizes also. You might also give compression underwear a try. With mine I hardly ever have chaffing but keep some BodyGlide handy for the rare occasion that I do need it.

great stuff.

WingedMonkey
01-15-2012, 12:52
Balmex with zinc oxide.

daddytwosticks
01-15-2012, 13:00
Thank goodness I don't need to wear long thermal underware when I hike in the winter down here. Use Wal-Mart brand compression shorts and just don't sweat enough this time of year to cause problems. In the warmer parts of the year, I wear hiking shorts with built-in liners. I keep things cleaned up down there with either a bandana and water or I use wet-wipes. I powder-up after clean up at the end of the day and change into clean clothes. :)

Ironbelly
01-15-2012, 13:29
I used to have some horrible chaffing problems. After reading around here and other sites it seemed the general consensus was to use either compression shorts(think bike shorts) or wear a synthetic boxer brief made for hiking. I personally use and really like the exofficio boxer briefs. Ever since i started using the boxer briefs i have had little to no issues with chaffing. The only time i do still have problems with chaffing its usually only during really hot days where i am really sweating up a storm, or if i happen to be over dressed. Unless its below 0F i don't hike in long johns because i sweat too much, i prefer to just wear a pair of winter weight BDU pants and the boxer briefs.

On the rare occassion that i do have a chaffing problem i use body glide on the area when moving, and in camp i give myself a little warm water sponge bath and put on some medicated baby powder. By morning the area is usually much improved.

Good luck finding a solution to your issue.

Summit
01-15-2012, 14:01
I say this every time the "chaffing issue" comes up. There are several different areas of chaffing: buttocks, thigh-thigh, thigh-scrotum, crotch (usually from briefs or jock strap seams). To suggest, for instance, that "switching to xyz-brand boxer shorts solved my problem" may be great advice for someone who's chaffing is caused by briefs/jock straps rubbing in the crotch, but is in fact the worst advice for someone suffering from thigh-scrotum chaffing.

If your chaffing is caused by the seam in briefs or jock strap, then simply switching to boxer shorts (or go commando) might be all that's needed.
If your chaffing is caused by thigh-scrotum rubbing issues, the above is the worst and last thing you want to do. Compression shorts/underwear should fix the issue and use BodyGlide as needed to supplement. This is also the best solution for thigh-thigh rubbing.
If your chaffing is in the buttocks area, BodyGlide application should solve the problem.

BodyGlide is certainly not the only product that works, but I find that carrying and applying it is simple because it is like a deodorant stick and is applied like that. No oily mess or powder to get everywhere and have to clean up. YMMV!

waasj
01-15-2012, 14:24
Balmex or a product called Beaudreux's Butt Paste (found it at the Dollar store in Hot Springs) work well for me. I find the worst chafing occurs when I am generating a good deal of sweat "downunder", especialy in the summer. I have also used Gold Bond powder, but sometimes get the "biscuit dough" effect (which we won't go into at this point).

Toolshed
01-15-2012, 14:50
I used to have every chafing issue know to male hikers. Especially hot summer days. Treatments that work for all issues:
prophylactically:
1) I clean with wet wipes first. Every nook & cranny and every part that rubs.
2)I rub those same nooks & crannies and rubbing parts liberally with Body Glide (You can keep it in a baggie and get rid of the container). For most times, that will take care of any issues for at least half a day. I usually repeat both steps after lunch.

If you didn't bring body glide:
1) Clean well with a wet wipe or soap and water
2) Wear Ex-officio boxer briefs (I have had varying success with most other Lycra spandex shorts, but EO's wear like iron, wash & dry fast and don't
retain odors

If you are starting to Chafe or are badly chafing:
1) Clean well with a wet wipe or soap and water
2) Apply Desenex with Zinc Oxide liberally to all areas (Yes it will smell like fish and so will your fingers) or apply Beaudreaux's (as someone else mentioned). BeauDreaux's seems to work as well, but without the fishy scent.
3) if any areas are starting to form sores, apply bacitracin (with petroleum jelly base) liberally (some bacitracin comes in a cream that the skin absorbs. PJ seems to sit on the skin and protect it a bit better. You can also get Bacitracin with a topical pain reliever.
4) wear the appropriate shorts, as mentioned above
4) Take some tylenol. This will help disconnect your brain from the pain.

One more nice tip for Body Glide. I apply to the bottom of my feet and between my toes. It helps protect your feet from blisters.

Plodderman
01-15-2012, 15:13
Compression shorts from Walmart.

rocketsocks
01-15-2012, 15:44
Kramer,has all the answers.Either your "out there",or your "boy's need support".It's one or the other.

Furlough
01-15-2012, 17:52
As mentioned above: Try using Boudreaux's Butt Paste, sounds funny but it works. Have used it backpacking and while in Iraq.

Furlough

Sal-XK
01-15-2012, 18:05
I just started training again and I go commando. I'll chafe some now but just suffer threw it and it will go away legs thin out skin toughens up. Now after im in shape if I chafe from heat or what ever compression shorts are my best friend but this rarely happens. I never liked putting anything on like powder or lubs just didn't feel good to me.

WMR
01-15-2012, 18:08
Boxer briefs and Gold Bond Powder

BlakeGrice
01-15-2012, 20:52
Used to wear womens panty hose in the army on long ruck marches- helped with chaffing and blisters

Summit
01-15-2012, 21:03
Used to wear womens panty hose in the army on long ruck marches- helped with chaffing and blistersSimilar solution to compression underwear, without as much embarrassment changing in camp! :eek:

Summit
01-15-2012, 21:05
As mentioned above: Try using Boudreaux's Butt Paste, sounds funny but it works. Have used it backpacking and while in Iraq.

FurloughJust don't lick your finger clean after applying! :eek: :D

SCRUB HIKER
01-15-2012, 23:00
+1 to a combination of Ex Officio boxer-briefs and Body Glide. The first prevents most problems for me (and one pair lasts at least a thru-hike), the second solves them quickly if they come up.

Tinker
01-16-2012, 00:48
Body Glide, shorts, commando.
After using the privy, use a wet wipe (you can dry them and wet them with water when you need to use them, if you want to save a few grams).

Rain Man
01-16-2012, 12:13
You've gotten some really good advice in this thread. I'll add just a hint about "multi-function gear." Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline are great fire-starters. But they also have the advantage of helping with chapped lips, hands, and even chaffing. Also, Body Glide is good stuff, but instead (if you don't have Body Glide) you can use a regular "Chap Stick" made for your lips. Multi-function. Just don't apply directly to chaffed areas! (if you intend to use it on your lips too!) Use clean hands or better yet a small square of clean toilet paper.

Rain:sunMan

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-16-2012, 12:31
For LD hikes, i use gym shorts, like compression shorts, Under Armor makes some, and they work. Also I use something called Anti Monkey Butt Powder (i kid you not it's the name of it) and it helps ALOT.

Spokes
01-16-2012, 12:45
Hold on a minute. Is AlphaPig talking about chaffing in the OP or something more sinister? Makes me wonder what being "uncomfortable down there" really means. Lots of people assuming its chaffing.

Clarify please. We're all big boys here.

rocketsocks
01-16-2012, 17:14
Well in that case go to nearest trail town and get some ice.works every time!

Freddie
01-16-2012, 18:34
I have been having this problem for thirty years at my work where you sweat and then go to break and then you go back to work and chaf immediatly. A friend turned me on to a product called "Skin Lube" It is petroleum based and will not come off until you use soap and water and the best thing you will never chaf again!!! Google the product been using for 15 years. Slip sliding away...

Chatter98
01-16-2012, 19:12
Gold bond powder and sweat wicking compression shorts. I take a pair with a pair of basketball shorts over top. When I get to camp I wash down there immediately and wash the compression shorts and then just wear basket ball shorts. Works perfect. The compression shorts do not always dry over night, but within five minutes of walking around they are good to go. The gold bond also feels great on feet at the end of the day and the beginning of a hike. I prefer the medicated aqua color stuff!!!

bassbusterfiss
01-16-2012, 19:55
Walmart carries the Starter line of boxers. They are like the compression fit, made of polyester and spandex for about 9.50. The come in 6 in and 9 inch. I chose the 9 inch to cover more thigh. Best money i have spent

rocketsocks
01-16-2012, 20:12
Walmart carries the Starter line of boxers. They are like the compression fit, made of polyester and spandex for about 9.50. The come in 6 in and 9 inch. I chose the 9 inch to cover more thigh. Best money i have spentI have three pairs,and think they are pretty good,my only objection is that the waist band is made of something that doesn't dry or wick to quickly or at least at a slower rate then the shorts.You can flip the band over one time to help it dry.Leaned this from daughter,though you my be accused of being "Fashion Forward" if it sticks out.;)

dmperkins74
01-17-2012, 07:49
Wow... LOT of replies, wasn't expecting such attention to be paid to my nether region issues :)

Was at walmart yesterday... didn't see anything that said "compression shorts" on the bag, but saw plenty of pairs of very snug fitting shorts, may give those a try and check out some Bodyglide... Or just try the chapstick.

Thanks for all of the tops everyone!

daddytwosticks
01-17-2012, 08:18
My Wal-mart "compression shorts" were not labeled as such. They were hung on a hanger, not in a "package". When you take one look at their physical size and what size they are labeled as, you know there will be some squeezing going on! :)

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 11:42
Walmart carries the Starter line of boxers. They are like the compression fit, made of polyester and spandex for about 9.50.

That's what I use and recommend, though I would have never called them "boxers."

Rain:sunMan

Chaco Taco
01-17-2012, 14:30
If you are thru hiking, go to Target, get some of the DuoFold, Champion, boxer briefs. The one thing I noticed is that by the time we got to Virginia, we were dropping weight at such a rapid pace because of the heat and longer miles. I switched over to a kilt in Daleville. I never had any issues with chaffing by this point. Saw and heard some horror stories about border line staph infections from the chaffing.

ShaneP
01-17-2012, 20:52
1. Spray right guard antiperspirant on the area in question before you go. This can also be applied in other areas where perspiration can be a problem, like feet. Imagine dry feet. I'm serious, this works. Doesn't hurt to hit your lower back where a lot of sweat is generated.

2. Chafing is as much infection as it is abrasion, if not more. At the end of your day, if chafed, apply neosporin to the affected area. The chafing will be gone by morning.

Trust me

Blissful
01-17-2012, 21:04
Hubby uses a sportkilt

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2012, 21:22
Boxer briefs and Gold Bond Powder

I have tried that... so the chafe is halted - the pain.... I haven't done this but there were prior threads recommending Bag Balm on William & the boys...

Summit
01-17-2012, 22:50
1. Spray right guard antiperspirant on the area in question before you go. This can also be applied in other areas where perspiration can be a problem, like feet. Aluminum is one of the most toxic mineral to the human body. It damages our nervous systems and seems to attack our brain. It has been linked to anemia, memory deficits, memory loss, headaches, irritability, insomnia, learning disability, dementia, mental confusion; and more severely, Alzheimers, Lou Gehrig's and Parkinson's diseases. Whether or not aluminum is the cause of these diseases is immaterial. We want to avoid/prevent it from entering into our system.
Anti-perspirant roll-on. Anti-perspirants contain an active ingredient, aluminum chlorohydrate that reacts with proteins in the sweat to form a gel that blocks the glands from producing more sweat, thus reducing the perspiration. When underarm sweat is blocked and not allowed to be excreted, it gathers in the area and become toxic. This may lead to breast problems, breast cancer or other brain disorders.

And you're spraying it on you clackers? :eek:
I avoid deodorants with aluminum chlorohydrate completely!

daddytwosticks
01-18-2012, 08:12
WOO...I refer to them as Richard and the twins. :)