PDA

View Full Version : rei?

stonedflea
01-15-2012, 15:51
does anybody have any pointers for interviewing @ rei? i've heard there's a mock sales pitch, but do you get to pick the item you attempt to sell? what if you don't know everything about what you're trying to sell?any tips would be appreciated. :) i'm kinda gettin nervous.

Ironbelly
01-15-2012, 16:20
Just roll with it, you go with general knowledge of a said item and not neccesarily specifics. They don't expect you to know how every single item differs from others that are similar. You just need a general understanding of outdoor equipment. Difference between synthetics and down, wool etc. How a water filter differs from drops or UV treatment, a freestanding tent vs non freestanding, packs made for light loads, moderate loads or heavy loads etc.

Don't sweat it, there's nothing to it.

Sarcasm the elf
01-15-2012, 16:55
Basically make yourself out to be someone who is knowledgeable, friendly to customers and someone who the people hiring you would want to work with everyday.

I would suggest that you think back to some time when you were at an outfitter and spoke to an employee that was particularly helpful with gear. What did they do that made them stand out? Was it how much they knew about the gear? Did they just answer questions about the item you were looking at, or did they take the time to find out what you were trying to gear up for (car camping/backpacking/thru hiking etc) and then guide you to the things that were best for that purpose? Think back to what people did that helped you the most and made you the most comfortable in the store, then try to use those same techniques.

Also, don't forget that in reality, working at an REI you will probably spend more time selling North Face jackets and Ugg boots to teenagers than you will helping people that are buying technical gear. This is where the friendly and patient parts are important.

hikerbee
01-15-2012, 21:36
Don't be nervous! Just be yourself. They want to see your true personality and how you talk to other people. I think most people start out nervous, but the atmosphere should be kind of informal, so the mood relaxes. REI does like to do group interviews, so they will likely split you up into smaller groups to talk about some obvious topics (ie: what does customer service mean to you? What does the REI motto mean?, etc) and then you may share with the larger group what you've discussed. Yes, you will likely do a mock sales pitch (I didn't get to choose my item). They aren't looking for technical knowledge, just what Ironbelly said - they're looking to see if you have general knowledge of outdoor equipment. If you're really interested in working there, I would do some basic research on REI's values, history, etc and think about why you want to work there. It will come out in your answers at the interview. Good luck!

kayak karl
01-15-2012, 21:42
just don't say they sell crap and mis-steer thru hikers. i would never work there.

Wise Old Owl
01-15-2012, 22:09
just don't say they sell crap and mis-steer thru hikers. i would never work there.

KK Ya mean....., you are overqualified....:D

Sierra Echo
01-15-2012, 22:27
I've never encountered a helpful, knowledgeable REI employee, so just go in there and smile and you should be fine.

Toli
01-15-2012, 23:21
I've never encountered a helpful, knowledgeable REI employee, so just go in there and smile and you should be fine.

Thats sooo crazy!!! Because in the last 3 posts, I've encountered the same thing... Only it was Whiteblaze employees... I'm thinkin' "so just go in there and smile and you should be fine" is probably something you were told while being dropping you off at some high school dance... Or life... Lighten up... WOO/KK/SE with ALL ur posts combined won't make or break REI...

Sarcasm the elf
01-15-2012, 23:28
Thats sooo crazy!!! Because in the last 3 posts, I've encountered the same thing... Only it was Whiteblaze employees... I'm thinkin' "so just go in there and smile and you should be fine" is probably something you were told while being dropping you off at some high school dance... Or life... Lighten up... WOO/KK/SE with ALL ur posts combined won't make or break REI... Sorry Toli, you lost me there...

Sierra Echo
01-15-2012, 23:28
Thats sooo crazy!!! Because in the last 3 posts, I've encountered the same thing... Only it was Whiteblaze employees... I'm thinkin' "so just go in there and smile and you should be fine" is probably something you were told while being dropping you off at some high school dance... Or life... Lighten up... WOO/KK/SE with ALL ur posts combined won't make or break REI...

I'm guessing you work at REI.

stonedflea
01-16-2012, 00:16
I'm guessing you work at REI.i get it, toli, and thanks. :) the last three responses were pretty negative and unneccessary. i didn't ask about your feelings towards REI... i asked for help, and none of the three latter responses were helpful at all.thanks to the first three or four, though. :D

Toli
01-16-2012, 00:16
Sorry Toli, you lost me there...

Try to keep up... You've done it on other posts... "You can do it"... Seriously tho... "Sarcasm" the elf and you don't get it???

Tinker
01-16-2012, 00:24

It's hard to remain friendly as an underpaid pawn in a retail establishment, but it can be done. I've met many helpful folks at REI - sometimes they were stressed, but, since I've worked on and off in retail (including The Home Depot), I appreciate the stress that they're under, and treat them with respect.
I'm more knowledgeable than a lot of the younger folks, who buy into advertising hype, but, if they try to be helpful I'm happy.
The best way to shop at REI (or any retailer, for that matter) is to research the item(s) that you're interested in online and go into the store with half a clue.....then you can essentially serve yourself once they show you the available items.

In short, when applying for REI, know what you know (present your knowledge of what you are most interested in), be courteous, and you will improve your chances for getting in the door.

Sarcasm the elf
01-16-2012, 10:02
Try to keep up... You've done it on other posts... "You can do it"... Seriously tho... "Sarcasm" the elf and you don't get it???

Alright, I re-read the thread and am back up to speed...I misunderstood which replies your earlier post was referring to...sorry about that.

Looks like I'll have to work on my reading comprehension ;)

Don H
01-16-2012, 11:41
Anyone know what the starting pay is at REI?
I like REI, been a costumer since the late 70's. I'm retired now and was thinking about maybe doing something part-time.
Met several people on my thru-hike last year that worked at REI and they all seemed to enjoy it.

tweezer159
01-16-2012, 14:28
I don't know about REI specifically, but in sales in general you should focus on meeting customer needs. Like Sarcasm the Elf said - "did they take the time to find out what you were trying to gear up for? " A good sale is where the customer gets what they need, are satisfied, and will trust you when they have needs in the future. Its not so much about a "pitch", but asking questions and knowing your products so you can get the client what they need. Don't worry too much - you participate on whiteblaze and know the pros and cons about many outdoor products - you are prepared to discuss these things.

Bearpaw
01-16-2012, 15:42
does anybody have any pointers for interviewing @ rei? i've heard there's a mock sales pitch, but do you get to pick the item you attempt to sell? what if you don't know everything about what you're trying to sell?any tips would be appreciated. :) i'm kinda gettin nervous.

Be yourself. It was over 10 years ago since I interviewed with REI, but I worked with them off and on for nearly nine years. Expertise is important, but good attitude and ability to learn quickly were even more important for a new hire. It is a great part-time job with lots of flexibility. If you feel your knowledge is weak, you can still wind up with work there in cashiering and customer service, or in a big store you could even wind up with a full-time job in shipping and receiving.

If you have strong skills in a specific area, this will increase your chances of getting work there. In my nine years, I never worked CS or a register (I was never trained or given an access code) because I spent all my time in footwear, clothing, and camping/climbing.

Anyone know what the starting pay is at REI?
I like REI, been a costumer since the late 70's. I'm retired now and was thinking about maybe doing something part-time.
Met several people on my thru-hike last year that worked at REI and they all seemed to enjoy it.

It is probably comparable to Walmart when you first begin, but the similarities end there. At six months, you can expect a raise (assuming you get decent evaluations - most folks do), and further raises as either annual or semi-annual periods. The work environment is generally very positive. REI is one of the few places where part-time employees can get medical insurance - it was about $50 a month IIRC and described as "not the best, but a lot better than nothing" by the folks who had it.

The co-op does put an emphasis on work efficiency - numbers of folks on the floor are closely controlled when shifts are assigned, and there is no downtime (because that is filled with zoning/cleaning/straightening up, stocking, or creating new displays). There is a lot of emphasis on being able to help multiple customers at once. But it made shifts go by quickly. And usually the work was pretty fun and customer feedback was rewarding.

Jim Adams
01-16-2012, 22:57
There are two REI's in Pittsburgh and the employees are always friendly and helpful. I do know that they tend to place employees in the departments that they have knowledge of. ie: campers, hikers, bikers, boaters, etc. The REI on Pittsburgh's Southside has 2-4 past thru hikers working there and the place supports employees goals of thru hiking via time off and leave of absence w/o job loss. I have been in REI's in Pittsburgh, San Diego, Los Angeles and Atlanta and have yet to meet an employee that doesn't like their job.
Just be yourself in the interview and it should be fine.

geek

Whiskey
01-16-2012, 23:22
I visited REI in Nashville for the first time this past Saturday. I interacted with 3 sales people on the floor and all 3 were friendly and helpful. I can't stand poor customer service and it has driven me away from far too many retail stores for good. Hopefully we are lucky enough to have good management and helpful employees at the Nashville location.

Bearpaw
01-17-2012, 00:03
I visited REI in Nashville for the first time this past Saturday. I interacted with 3 sales people on the floor and all 3 were friendly and helpful. I can't stand poor customer service and it has driven me away from far too many retail stores for good. Hopefully we are lucky enough to have good management and helpful employees at the Nashville location.I worked at the Brentwood (Nashville) REI. Bill, the store manager, is one of the best, consistently leading the store to being one of the top two in the southeast region. Last time I visited, there were still three thru-hikers working there. Doesn't mean you won't get a new hire occasionally that isn't the best. But it is generally a very good store.

Miami Joe
01-18-2012, 05:39
Did you get the job?

MaybeTomorrow
02-01-2012, 01:35

REI brand is garbage. Air mat went flat week 3. Rain jacket leaked all the way down one arm from day one. Half Dome tent literally feel to rags after 3 months. Pack ripped a seam. Now for the customer support responses when I tried to return the junk; don't put your air mat on the ground, you didn't seam seal the jacket, don't pitch the tent in the sunlight, you overstuffed the pack. Oh how I hate them!

txag
02-01-2012, 02:00
This is pretty funny. With REI you just take your stuff back - no questions asked. Customer service response - give me a break. I bought a Quarterdome tent this year and had no problems and a Flash 65 pack and air mat also. Been a member for almost 40 years.

Think we might have also met on the BSA thread last week? Got to keep you honest these late hours..... 5 entries is not enough to establish legitimacy. Troll alert again.

Don H
02-01-2012, 09:51
Ah, give the new guy a break, he's tryin'.

I never had a problem with REI and I've been buy stuff from them for 35 years.
Some people abuse their return policy. I met a guy who returned his winter gear during his thru-hike because he didn't need it any more!

seasparrow
02-01-2012, 11:18
Dicks !! Sporting Goods (http://www.rei.com/)FTW!! :confused:

Yea! Be yourself! Good luck with the job!

lemon b
02-01-2012, 15:44
LOL roll with it. U and the pup need to be back on the trail.

bamboo bob
02-01-2012, 15:58
I like REI, over priced but why anybody says they sell junk I don't understand. As far as working there goes, they require new employees to work weekends. They didn't mention that until after I showed up for the interview. So I passed. Also they seem to not hire and are less friendly too anybody over fifty.