PDA

View Full Version : n.carolina to neel gap

pilgrim1
01-15-2012, 19:21
we did springer to neel last may.(3 days)we plan on going from the n.c.line or close to the line to neel this yr.my wife will let us out in n.c..Where would be the safest place(for her)to let us out and her get back out easily.and how many days will it take us.(n.c.to neel)

Summit
01-15-2012, 19:52
There are two choices of trail entry/exit near the GA/NC border: Blue Ridge Gap and Deep Gap. If you were to do Blue Ridge Gap, you would need to hike 3 miles N. to the GA/NC border (near Bly Gap), and then back track. However the road to Blue Ridge Gap (I've never done it) has a reputation of being very bad in places and even closed at times. PM Ron Haven for info and directions if still interested, but it doesn't sound like you'd want your wife doing that.

The other option is Deep Gap which would mean you'd do about 7 miles in NC in addition to the GA mileage back to Neels. Deep Gap is easily accessible via USFS 71 (small brown sign) off of US 64. It's about 8 miles of gravel road to deep gap. This road also is closed when bad weather erodes the road. Again, Ron Haven should be able to tell you if it's open as he shuttles people in and out of there. Map is here:

http://g.co/maps/3rpn6

See "Deep Gap Road" in middle of map. Zoom in for more detail. You'll want to go to end past primitive campground.

Hope this helps!

Papa D
01-15-2012, 21:25
You're going to need a map for this one,but it's perfect - Kimsey Creek Trail - meets AT just short of Standing IndianShelter, NC. Other easier option is to backtrack from the NC line a bit to US 76 - Ron Haven will
know Kimsey Cr. Trail - car camping there
too.

generoll
01-15-2012, 22:35
there's an excellent chance that the FS to Deep Gap will be gated this time of year.

Summit
01-15-2012, 23:09
You're going to need a map for this one,but it's perfect - Kimsey Creek Trail - meets AT just short of Standing IndianShelter, NC. Other easier option is to backtrack from the NC line a bit to US 76 - Ron Haven will
know Kimsey Cr. Trail - car camping there
too.Starting in Standing Indian Campground (I believe that's what you're suggesting) adds another 4 miles to my "start in Deep Gap" suggestion. Why? Starting at US 76 (Dick's Creek) and going north 8 miles to the GA/NC line and then back tracking those 8 miles? Sorry but I think the Deep Gap start is the better option.

Summit
01-15-2012, 23:11
there's an excellent chance that the FS to Deep Gap will be gated this time of year.The OP didn't specify start date, but I read into his post that he's going to do this around same time as last year's hike - May. Road should be open by then.

Summit
01-15-2012, 23:40
Starting in Standing Indian Campground (I believe that's what you're suggesting) adds another 4 miles to my "start in Deep Gap" suggestion. Why? Starting at US 76 (Dick's Creek) and going north 8 miles to the GA/NC line and then back tracking those 8 miles? Sorry but I think the Deep Gap start is the better option.Also, if you start in Deep Gap, assuming you may only have a part of the day to hike, Bly Gap makes a nice first night camp and it's a nice one!

Summit
01-15-2012, 23:49
Bly Gap knarly tree - I like to camp up top to the left and back this way from where this picture was taken rather than down by the spring. There's a great large perfectly flat spot where old road used to be and the breeze and views are nice!

pilgrim1
01-16-2012, 18:31
Thanks for the info.will probably just start at dicks creek gap ango straight to neel.(since none of us like the idea of goin 8 mile to bly and coming back)also only got 4 days and 3 nights to hike.thanks again

Summit
01-16-2012, 21:30
Thanks for the info.will probably just start at dicks creek gap ango straight to neel.(since none of us like the idea of goin 8 mile to bly and coming back)also only got 4 days and 3 nights to hike.thanks againSounds like a plan! Have fun!

P.S. You can always finish GA next hike by doing Dick's Creek to wherever, or wherever to Dick's Creek!