PDA

View Full Version : Lite Tent Please!

Hannie
01-15-2012, 21:58
I am looking to buy the litest tent 50$ can buy me. All jokes aside, any opinions?

Wil
01-15-2012, 22:10
litest tent 50$A lot of people move from tent to tent with relatively little use; I'd look used on that budget. Lots of $125-$150 tents ought to be around if you can find a marketplace.

When I started backpacking, the chains sold coated nylon single wall tents for $19-$26. They had condensation unless you had a pretty good breeze ventilating, but they were serviceable shelters in moderate conditions, the walls could be wiped down. If they're still made, 'd think $50 would be the price point today.

I had one, maybe Stars, that lasted for 15+ years of occasional use by overflow guest hikers, and we got rid of it only because it started to smell nylony or mildewy or something.

Tinker
01-16-2012, 01:03
http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/wenzel_starlite_tent.html

A friend that I hike with occasionally has this tent and it works for him. In very hot weather it can be stuffy, and interior condensation is higher than on a double-walled tent. He uses his hiking poles instead of the front poles.

It's a start. :-?

Wil
01-16-2012, 02:02
The Wenzel Starlite is not made any more, though there may be some around. The Wenzel replacement, same price, is a double hooped tent, the Elk-something. It's a little heavier. Tiny bit roomier (extremely beneficial with the walls wet from condensation) and easier to get in and out. Basically the same issues (though I'm not sure if the waterproof coating is as thin and inconsistent as the Starlite; if it is you need to spray or brush on a waterproof coating). Once the seams have been sealed and the stakes and cord replaced it will work. If you don't have to close the front door and you get a breeze, the condensation will be manageable. Battened down, the ventilation is very poor and you'll have a lot of wiping to do to stay dry.

I do think you'd be better off with a decent used, originally $100 +.

Wil
01-16-2012, 02:12
I do think you'd be better off with a decent used, originally $100 +.For example I see that there was a Eureka Spitfire Solo in this Forum's Buy/sell area. $65 but including shipping. That's the kind of thing I would look for; it would be a huge step up from something like the Wenzel.

Wil
01-16-2012, 03:26
Another example (and the one previous I meant to specifically say is SOLD and this one may be as well since it's a couple of months old but this is the _type_ of thing I'm suggesting):

The AMC BOSTON HB Committee at http://www.hbbostonamc.org/ has an ad for a Clip Flashlight for $60.

dshideler
01-16-2012, 07:36
Search for the Wenzel Current Hiker on amazon. It is basically the starlite but in a two person size. Prob more like 1.5 person. Its under 30 dollars.

Wil
01-16-2012, 08:45
Search for the Wenzel Current Hiker on amazon. It is basically the starlite but in a two person size. Prob more like 1.5 person. Its under 30 dollars.The "Current" is not a current Wenzel product; it's just a production variation of the discontinued starlite model.

The floor width would seem to indicate the possibility of use as a two person tent, or that it provides a condensation margin for error for one person. Problem is that as an A frame the sides slope up from the floor at a shallow angle, and both sleeping bags touch the condensation-dripping sides. Not good. Wet sleeping bags. And little margin for error even for one.

The cheap A frames of yore that I spoke of (and I don't know whether they are in production today) had a wider floor, so that the sides were well-away from a single sleeper.

I have seen some current cheapies (also available from Amazon) similar to the Wenzel that have side pullouts to try to increase the side-to-floor angle and provide some separation between sides of the tent and bag but I don't know anyone who has tried them. Probably better to take a chance on one of them rather than the discontinued Wenzel.

Wil
01-16-2012, 08:51
I just took a quick look at the major player with the side pullouts (Amazon carries two variations, one with a "camo" coloring, same tent). Actually they look somewhat promising in this price range. Big problem is that the waterproof (?) front door ties rather than zips.

Bags4266
01-16-2012, 10:01
For example I see that there was a Eureka Spitfire Solo in this Forum's Buy/sell area. $65 but including shipping. That's the kind of thing I would look for; it would be a huge step up from something like the Wenzel.

I think a used spitfire is a great idea, many out there and they have a good following. If your lucky maybe someone is selling the UL spitfire. Post a threat WTB (want to buy) see what happens

scudder
01-16-2012, 12:02
tough price point- double it and you'd have a world of options.
Do you have sewing skills? If you do, check out Henry Shires site - tarptent.com under the projects section for some ideas that might work for you.

TyTy
01-16-2012, 12:13
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/44887/index.html?skip_to_post=470720#470720

Transient Being
01-16-2012, 14:33
I got a solo REI Chrysalis tent that is exactly 3 lbs. I've got the groundcloth to go with it, nothing missing, only used about 3 or 4 times, new condition. I'll sell it for $80 shipped. PM me if you want it or want to see pictures.

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2012, 21:36
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368487?ip_navtype=sea rch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368487&ip_sortBy=priceAsc&filters=&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=0&colorFilter=

Or you could just look for a used tarp and bugnet