PDA

View Full Version : Alterations to Patagonia Gore Tex Pants

Papa D
01-16-2012, 17:59
I just got some new Gore Tex Pants - they are a men's medium but due to "vanity sizing" (which I hate) they need taking up in the waist - to a true 32" and shortened about 3" - f.y,i., the small ones are too small. A long time ago, Patagonia shortened some pants for me custom - it seems that they don't do this anymore. Can I do this myself? there are zippers and gussets and so forth at the legs so I would have to take them up mid-leg - my thoughts would be to cut open a seam, re-sew with a sewing machine, and apply seam seal or seam tape. Same for the waist (at a non-elastic part). Ideas? Thanks.

The Old Boot
01-16-2012, 18:58
I've not seen them in person so I took a peek at two of the Patagonia Goretex pants on their web-site.

Both the one's I saw had articulated knees and were multi-layered, one had full-length side zips.

Even for the experienced sewer (which I am), they would be a serious challenge to alter properly. You might want to talk to the seamstress about the cost of having custom goretex pants made....odds are the price of custom fit will come real close to the price of the store bought ones with the cost of alterations added in.

It's very unlikely that the 3" you need taken off the leg length is either all above the knee or all below the knee. To just chop off 3" in the handiest place will mean that the articulated knee is not where your knee actually is..thereby rendering the articulated knee kinda useless. The same with the waistband..any more than an inch or so will need to be evenly distributed around the waist...it can't all just be taken in at one seam.

The simple answer to your question of can you do this yourself....most likely NO! At least not successfully.

I'd find as experienced a seamstress as you can and pay the fee. Expect that it's going to cost way more than just shortening a pair of pants, they'll likely be mostly taken apart to adjust them properly.

Papa D
01-16-2012, 22:31
I've not seen them in person so I took a peek at two of the Patagonia Goretex pants on their web-site.

Both the one's I saw had articulated knees and were multi-layered, one had full-length side zips.

Even for the experienced sewer (which I am), they would be a serious challenge to alter properly. You might want to talk to the seamstress about the cost of having custom goretex pants made....odds are the price of custom fit will come real close to the price of the store bought ones with the cost of alterations added in.

It's very unlikely that the 3" you need taken off the leg length is either all above the knee or all below the knee. To just chop off 3" in the handiest place will mean that the articulated knee is not where your knee actually is..thereby rendering the articulated knee kinda useless. The same with the waistband..any more than an inch or so will need to be evenly distributed around the waist...it can't all just be taken in at one seam.

The simple answer to your question of can you do this yourself....most likely NO! At least not successfully.

I'd find as experienced a seamstress as you can and pay the fee. Expect that it's going to cost way more than just shortening a pair of pants, they'll likely be mostly taken apart to adjust them properly.

Ok - this is good stuff. I'll try to find someone. I've worn the Torre pants that Patagonia did custom make for me for literally hundreds of days (over about 10 years) - they are just plum worn out - seam sealed a bunch of times - I may just return them and keep shopping - my Marmot rain pants are perfect but for trekking in heavier snow, ice climbing with crampons and ski travel - a heavier duty garment is better. thanks!