PDA

View Full Version : question about contact lenses

jjimen16
01-16-2012, 18:04
I have done several sections of the AT, and other backpacking trips, and have always seemed to have a problem with my contacts.

However, most of those trips didnt last longer than a week, so I was able to manage.

Here is my problem: I use this certain type of solution called "clear care" which my doctor recommends. This is used with a case that must stay upright (very hard to do while camping), and if it is tipped over, the liquid leaks out. (It is not the conventional L R flat cases).

At home I ALWAYS remove my contacts before every night, but while I am hiking I can usually stretch a couple nights leaving them in (because my fingers are always too dirty anyways to take them out while on the trail) and its not bad until my eyes get all dried out and really irritated. I am planning on a thru hike this year so I would like any advice from what others have found to work for them. (brand of solution, eye drops, method to keep your contacts really clean on the trail, etc...) Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, I am very blind, and I only use my glasses at night when I take my contacts off, but it is not an option for me as using them while being active makes me dizzy. Thanks again.

ocourse
01-16-2012, 20:08
I am sure that being "blind" makes things more difficult. I am not that bad but I wear contacts in both eyes to achieve monovision. One eye is for close-up and the other is for distance. Works for me but not everyone can do it. Anyway, I am supposed to use Clear Care too but when I hike I use a regular multipurpose solution in a standard, sealed container. I take them out each night and clean them a bit before storing them. Sometimes I have taken a new pair to avoid cleaning or storage.

Hikes in Rain
01-16-2012, 20:35
Sounds like we have much the same problems. I'm "legally blind", without some sort of corrective aids, and yeah, glasses just don't cut it! I currently wear multi-focal lenses, which correct my long distance vision, as well as taking care of the need for reading glasses. It's pretty cool.

I use Clear Care as well, a hydrogen peroxide solution that dissolves proteins and such. Great stuff. Use it when you can. However, just rubbing with saline will work for a week or so.

Biggest thing with contacts of any kind is good hand washing. You probably have your routine, but might learn a bit from someone who's been in the woods for decades with contacts. Get a gallon milk carton, and cut it off about a third of the way from the bottom. Presto! A no-weight wash basin. I like Ivory soap, because it doesn't have any perfumes or other residuals to coat your hands. That's pretty much it.

Saline is available in small bottles that last a week or so. Also, protein dissolving liquids are available in small bottles.

Let's face it; we'd rather be without our pants than our contacts! You wear them every day; why should the woods be any different. Just need to be a little more diligent on cleanliness, that's all.

jjimen16
01-17-2012, 02:10
[QUOTE=Let's face it; we'd rather be without our pants than our contacts! [/QUOTE]

Amen. seriously.

bflorac
01-17-2012, 02:29
I hike with glasses but take contacts along as a backup in case something happens to my glasses. I bring 1 day disposable contacts. While a bit more expensive, they are the cats eye as far as care - NONE. Just take them out and toss them out. Tear one, not an issue I got more.. You might want to invest in some for your hike. They also come in multi-day style. I could see how hauling a bunch of contacts around on a thru hike could be an issue but you could just put them in your drop box.

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 11:49
Sounds like we have much the same problems. I'm "legally blind", without some sort of corrective aids, and yeah, glasses just don't cut it! I currently wear multi-focal lenses, which correct my long distance vision, as well as taking care of the need for reading glasses.

Same here on all points.

I use Clear Care as well, a hydrogen peroxide solution that dissolves proteins and such. Great stuff.

Never heard of it, but now will look for it.

Biggest thing with contacts of any kind is good hand washing. ... I like Ivory soap, because it doesn't have any perfumes or other residuals to coat your hands.

Agree on the hand washing, but not on the Ivory soap not having added perfume. I have yet to find Ivory soap without perfume added. I find it VERY difficult to find unscented bar soap of any brand.

Saline is available in small bottles that last a week or so. Also, protein dissolving liquids are available in small bottles.

And the bottles can be re-used for other things, such as fuel containers (or the tiny ones for liquid camp soap). Though BEWARE you don't confuse them. YIKES!

Let's face it; we'd rather be without our pants than our contacts!

Right you are! LOL

Rain:sunMan

WMR
01-17-2012, 13:06
I am legally blind without contacts, and have always simply taken them out last thing before sleep and put them in first thing upon waking. Last hike, however, we had a nocturnal visitor of some sort going after our food bags (hung about 15 feet up, about 100 yards up the trail). We had our water bottles hung beneath the bag and whatever it was knocked at those bottles all night. Long sleepless night. And I realized it was not very smart to be blind in the wild, so no more - taking glasses with me from now on.

handlebar
01-17-2012, 19:13
Have you tried extended wear contacts? I wear the Air Optix type for 30-45 days straight. I carry rewetting drops and use them before retiring for the night and first thing in the morning. This regimen lets me keep my hands out of my eyes. It's especially nice if one is camping under the stars to be able to actually see the stars. On my AT and PCT hikes, these contacts were only available in a single vision version, but since 2010, I've been wearing a bifocal version and no longer have to carry reading glasses to be able to see any detail at all on maps.

Hikes in Rain
01-17-2012, 20:27
Agree on the hand washing, but not on the Ivory soap not having added perfume. I have yet to find Ivory soap without perfume added. I find it VERY difficult to find unscented bar soap of any brand.

Hmm....you got my curiosity up with that one. I just checked one of my stockpiled bars of Ivory, and don't see any reference of fragrance or other additive. However, Wikipedia indicates that it's "mildly fragranced". Other references indicate that it's not HEAVILY perfumed or lotioned (emphasis mine). Also indicates it's "lightly scented". I've been using it since the doctor that gave me my first pair of contacts back in 1969 (wow!) recommended it. And it's worked well for me. So, hmm again, now I'm not sure.

My current eye doctor uses a disinfecting clear soap (or detergent) whose name I don't recall, but which seems to work well. What type of soap do you use? I may need to rethink this.

jjimen16
01-17-2012, 21:03
Hmm....you got my curiosity up with that one. I just checked one of my stockpiled bars of Ivory, and don't see any reference of fragrance or other additive. However, Wikipedia indicates that it's "mildly fragranced". Other references indicate that it's not HEAVILY perfumed or lotioned (emphasis mine). Also indicates it's "lightly scented". I've been using it since the doctor that gave me my first pair of contacts back in 1969 (wow!) recommended it. And it's worked well for me. So, hmm again, now I'm not sure.My current eye doctor uses a disinfecting clear soap (or detergent) whose name I don't recall, but which seems to work well. What type of soap do you use? I may need to rethink this. I'd say. That If it's worked since 1969, why worry of its fragranced or not? It works right?

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 21:57
What type of soap do you use?

I just rinse my hands really well if I wash with perfumed soap. Occasionally I can find pure bar soap at Trader Joe's, without additives such as fragrance

On the trail I use some liquid soap I got at REI by the name of "Wonder Wash," which says right on the front under the name, "Fragrance Free."

Hikes in Rain
01-18-2012, 13:29
I'm going to check those out, thanks! Ivory's been working well (probably because I rinse a lot, too), but hey, if I can improve, why not. Thank you, sir, I appreciate it!

Tinker
01-18-2012, 14:26
I have done several sections of the AT, and other backpacking trips, and have always seemed to have a problem with my contacts.

However, most of those trips didnt last longer than a week, so I was able to manage.

Here is my problem: I use this certain type of solution called "clear care" which my doctor recommends. This is used with a case that must stay upright (very hard to do while camping), and if it is tipped over, the liquid leaks out. (It is not the conventional L R flat cases).

At home I ALWAYS remove my contacts before every night, but while I am hiking I can usually stretch a couple nights leaving them in (because my fingers are always too dirty anyways to take them out while on the trail) and its not bad until my eyes get all dried out and really irritated. I am planning on a thru hike this year so I would like any advice from what others have found to work for them. (brand of solution, eye drops, method to keep your contacts really clean on the trail, etc...) Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, I am very blind, and I only use my glasses at night when I take my contacts off, but it is not an option for me as using them while being active makes me dizzy. Thanks again.

Have you run this by your doctor yet? HE's the expert. ;) :)

(Not that we ALL don't want to pretend to be). :sun

jjimen16
01-19-2012, 00:51
Have you run this by your doctor yet? HE's the expert. ;) :)

(Not that we ALL don't want to pretend to be). :sun

I ask the doctors and they dont have practical advice for a thru hiker. They just look at you funny. Plus I dont want to spend another $100 for him to give me advice. Then another 200+ for more contacts.