PDA

View Full Version : homemade hiking poles

Freddie
01-16-2012, 18:23
I am trying to make my own hiking poles out of bamboo. I just went out and cut two poles about an inch in diameter. I was thinking about 52 inches long. Any ideas out there or should I just buy some? You might say I'm tight!!! :confused:

TOMP
01-16-2012, 18:35
There is a place near me that has a bamboo forest, if I were making the poles I could easily get some free materials there. Its probably about 1 acre of bamboo lined paths. Id say try it and use it if you like it. If not nothing lost.

Rocket Jones
01-16-2012, 20:07
You might try rubber cane tips for the bottoms. Check out your local pharmacy or big-box store.

weary
01-16-2012, 20:19
I am trying to make my own hiking poles out of bamboo. I just went out and cut two poles about an inch in diameter. I was thinking about 52 inches long. Any ideas out there or should I just buy some? You might say I'm tight!!! :confused:
I like a long staff (60 inches) -- and only one. The kind of wood is mostly insignificant. I like very small alder saplings. They are sturdy. In 30 years none have ever brokenn. One inch diameter is a bit two big. It tends to be on the heavy side. I aim at 9 to 11 ounces dried weight. Alder costs nothing. Our eastern woods are full of the stuff. My largest hiking pole is 60 inches long and less than an inch in diameter. It weighs 9.3 ounces. I've use it to keep upright an increasingly aging body for about 4,000 trail miles with zero problems.

I've never used bamboo. But I have experimented over the years. Oak and hard maple are indestructible, but too heavy. There must be other strong, but lightweight woods. All you need is a readily available free wood. Construction is simple. So experiment.