PDA

View Full Version : How to hold a bug net off your face?

schwenkler
03-15-2005, 01:39
A lot of commercial bug nets (for your head) have a ring in them so it stays off your face. I will be making one that hangs over a wide-brimmed hat, so the top will stay off my face, but I think the bottom might not.

Anybody have experience with this, or an idea for how to make a semi-stiff ring to hold the net open?

Hope this makes sense.

Doctari
03-15-2005, 07:05
Find a large "throw away" plastic bowl, cut a ring from that.
Aluminum wire.
Plastic tubing & a connecter, form into a circle & connect each end to the other. For those old enough to remember: think of the "target" ring for the game of Jarts.

This may be a moot point, try it out without a ring before investing the time & effort.

Doctari.

gopher
03-15-2005, 07:21
I use a baseball hat. The brim does an adequate job of keeping the net away. even when sleeping.

fuzz
03-15-2005, 08:57
I used one of those poker visors (just the brim of the hat with a strap). It worked like a charm and let my head breathe a bit.

chris
03-15-2005, 10:51
My DancingLight sleep net has a loop on it that you can use, with a bit of cord, to tie the net to a tree or part of a tarp and keep it off your face. I found it more convenient to sleep with by Sunday Afternoons hat one.

schwenkler
03-15-2005, 14:42
Thanks for these suggestions. Just to clarify, this is not a sleeping bug net, it's just for hiking.

The Hammocker
03-17-2005, 20:54
duble duty man, thats the way it should be. Everything should have more than one use.

schwenkler
03-17-2005, 23:24
If it's buggy I'll be inside a Lunar Solo. I wish I had the balls to just tarp, then my bug net would have double duty...

The Hammocker
03-23-2005, 20:37
Can't take it? Just try it. Lighter is better. I think that it is better to use a hammock w/ the tarp though.