PDA

View Full Version : Question about Eureka Solitaire

Mini-Mosey
03-15-2005, 10:15
After an unwanted "hiatus" from backpacking, I finally got back out for an overnight this past weekend. I recently bought a Eureka Solitaire, and I brought it along. As I was sitting in the vestibule drinking my morning coffee(one of my favorite experiences while camping!) I wondered, "Is there a way I could cook in the vestibule without setting the tent on fire?" Luckily, yesterday was a fine(albeit cold)sunny morning, so I didn't have to forego that cup of coffee. But what if it rains? IS there a way to cook safely in the front of the tent while being protected from rain, etc.? Thanks for any input.

Mini-Mosey
03-15-2005, 13:08
I also meant to say that I have a pepsi can stove so I can't control the flame, which is no problem with me, but just thought I'd add that. Thanks.

JP
03-15-2005, 13:25
Ive had a Timberline and a solo Zepher , both gave me years of use and I never got wet in them. I still have them. But I would never cook in any tent. The fire danger is too great and you will impregnate the tent with food smells, not good in bear country.

Mountain Dew
03-15-2005, 19:52
I have cooked many times in my MSR Zoid tent's vestibule. Just make sure there are few if any leaves and keep it away from the tents body. Caution is the word and it isn't very hard to do. :sun

Mini-Mosey
03-15-2005, 20:59
I wanted to explain that I would never cook IN a tent; I meant like under the rainfly in the front some way, or do I need to bring along a small tarp to rig up some way? I noticed that you can roll the vestibule floor back. Also, I generally eat cold when I go out; I only boil water for coffee. In my Coleman, the rain fly had a beak so I was able to place my stove under the beak, and the beak was far enough up to accommodate that. As you know, the design of the Solitaire is different; I'm just trying to get any suggestions on this issue, particularly from anyone who has used a tent like this. I need to work some more with the tent at home. I appreciate the input I've gotten so far; thanks.

JP
03-16-2005, 13:58
Hope you didn't take my coments wrong. Years ago I got a vestibule for my Timberline with the intent of cooking ( not in bear country ) under it when raining. After starting my stove, I shut it off very shortly after. It just made me too nervous. When I was younger 2 boys that lived near me burned to death in a tent that caught fire, just couldnt get that out of my mind.
Like anything new you do, do it at home in your backyard first. Practice what you want to do till your comfortable with it. Maybe I'm too cautious when it comes to bears and fire. I cook in the open and rarely under a tarp in a downpour, and I dont sleep near where I cook. Not saying it cant be done safely, I just don't.
Do what makes you happy and seems right for you.

Mini-Mosey
03-16-2005, 22:22
Wow, I can see how that(the boys burning to death)would really stick in your mind.

Yes, I am going to work with the tent here at home. I need to improve on some things regarding it, e.g. I don't think I'm pitching it exactly right.