PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Spread

ShoelessWanderer
01-17-2012, 02:34
So, I'm finally getting around to reading Ed Garvey's Appalachian Hiker: Adventure of a Lifetime. And there's a recipe in their for Citadel Spread. As a vegetarian, and not a huge peanut butter fan (I know...it's criminal for a hiker) I don't foresee myself making a batch, but was wondering if anyone else had?

Citadel Spread

18 oz jar Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter
2-4 oz Bacon Grease (residue from 6-8 slices)
1/2 cup honey
2-4 cups granular powdered milk (Carnation)

Add milk and stir until mix gets crunchy. Put in pint plastic freezer containers. It will keep in refrigerator indefinitely; it keeps for at least three weeks unrefrigerated.

Rocket Jones
01-17-2012, 07:59
Looks similar to Moose Goo (http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html).

Old Hillwalker
01-17-2012, 08:28

Old Hillwalker
01-17-2012, 08:29
Back in the 50s and 60s I loved this stuff. We used to let it cool in a shallow pan and then cut it like fudge squares. Wrapped in waxed paper it kept for days and days. In winter it was a life saver.

I may make some for next spring.

Thanks for the memories!

Papa D
01-17-2012, 08:35
So, I'm finally getting around to reading Ed Garvey's Appalachian Hiker: Adventure of a Lifetime. And there's a recipe in their for Citadel Spread. As a vegetarian, and not a huge peanut butter fan (I know...it's criminal for a hiker) I don't foresee myself making a batch, but was wondering if anyone else had?

Citadel Spread

18 oz jar Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter
2-4 oz Bacon Grease (residue from 6-8 slices)
1/2 cup honey
2-4 cups granular powdered milk (Carnation)

Add milk and stir until mix gets crunchy. Put in pint plastic freezer containers. It will keep in refrigerator indefinitely; it keeps for at least three weeks unrefrigerated.

I'm in the same boat with you (though I'm ok with good peanut butter) -- if you want to make this, try almond butter, and skip the grease ---there is plenty of good delicious trail food - not every recipe will appeal to you -- try almond butter, powdered milk, and nutella!

SouthMark
01-17-2012, 08:54
I have been making batches of this for 30 years. I add enough powdered milk to it to make it thick as fudge and cut it into squares. I made batches of it for my grandson's thru in 2010 and sent in his mail drops.

Doctari
01-17-2012, 14:40
My theory has always been that the bacon grease was to add calories. I have not done this, but you could try:
some other nut butter (cashew, almond, etc), Olive Oil & dried Soy milk (have never seen it, but maybe it exists) Result: Vegetarian (Vegan?), & high calorie, high protein.
My $0.02

aaronthebugbuffet
01-17-2012, 20:44
Looks like it needs a bit of chocolate.