PDA

View Full Version : Gear list for my 2012 hike!

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 05:43
Well I have seen a few gear list on here and decided its not a bad idea. So here is mine, feel to tell me what I need to change or even if it's horrible. I promise it won't hurt my feelings.haha

1. Gregory Palisade 80 pack
2. MSR Huba tent
3. Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 deg. bag with sea to summit stuff sack
4. Thermarest prolite plus
5. MSR simmerlite or Pepsi can stove plus fuel (still haven't decided)
6. MSR cookware, spork, bowl
7. MSR mini works water filter
8. MSR 6L dromedary bag
9. 2 nalgene bottles
10. Leaking Makalu poles
11. First aid kit with toothbrush, TP, and all that good stuff
12. Marmot down jacket
13. Patagonia cap. 1 top/bottom for cold hiking days
14. Patagonia cap. 3 top/bottom for camp
15. Rain gear
16. 2 underarmor Tshirts
17. Mountain hardwear pants
18. 2 underarmor compression shorts
19. 2 pair hiking socks
20. 1 camp socks
21. Beanie
22. Gloves
23. Crocs
24. Cell phone
25. Knife
26. Guide book and maps
27. And last but not least FOOD BAG

I have all of the smaller items in stuff sacks just to add that in.

TOMP
01-17-2012, 07:10
Too much clothing. Someone wrote on here once that if you cant wear it all at once you have too much and I think thats a good rule.

Also it seems like you can carry much more water then you ever would need. 6L plus 2 1 L nalgenes. Is this for showering or drinking?

Crocs- is this fad over yet? I prefer camp shoes that you can also hike in or no camp shoes at all.

Bags4266
01-17-2012, 07:57
Take a look at the Sketcher Go Walk shoes they are 9 oz for the pair and good to walk in as well. Why two nag. bottles? use gatorade bottles and save prob 3-4 oz. Unless your using them for hot water bottles. That Marmot jacket while warm is very heavy. You won't be hiking in it, if its that cold get in your bag. Maybe a down sweater or puffy if you have the extra cake. Just those changes could save you 3/4 pound.

Sassafras Lass
01-17-2012, 08:24
That Marmot jacket while warm is very heavy. You won't be hiking in it, if its that cold get in your bag. Maybe a down sweater or puffy if you have the extra cake.

That's funny - you read 'Marmot jacket' as heavy, while I read it as very likely the Marmot Zeus jacket, which is 15 oz. and more of the sweater/puffy style you're mentioning. I have the female equiv of the Zeus, it's around 12 oz. and one of my favorite pieces of gear, feels like a feather.

OP - which is it?

Sassafras Lass
01-17-2012, 08:37
Well I have seen a few gear list on here and decided its not a bad idea. So here is mine, feel to tell me what I need to change or even if it's horrible. I promise it won't hurt my feelings.haha

1. Gregory Palisade 80 pack
2. MSR Huba tent
3. Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 deg. bag with sea to summit stuff sack
4. Thermarest prolite plus
5. MSR simmerlite or Pepsi can stove plus fuel (still haven't decided)
6. MSR cookware, spork, bowl
7. MSR mini works water filter
8. MSR 6L dromedary bag
9. 2 nalgene bottles
10. Leaking Makalu poles
11. First aid kit with toothbrush, TP, and all that good stuff
12. Marmot down jacket
13. Patagonia cap. 1 top/bottom for cold hiking days
14. Patagonia cap. 3 top/bottom for camp
15. Rain gear
16. 2 underarmor Tshirts
17. Mountain hardwear pants
18. 2 underarmor compression shorts
19. 2 pair hiking socks
20. 1 camp socks
21. Beanie
22. Gloves
23. Crocs
24. Cell phone
25. Knife
26. Guide book and maps
27. And last but not least FOOD BAG

I have all of the smaller items in stuff sacks just to add that in.

Good call on the 10F bag. The only things I'd change would to lessen some quantities. For instance, leave 1 of the compression shorts and T-shirts. But that's just me, because after hiking I've subscribed to the if-you-can't-wear-it-all-at-one-time-you've-brought-too-much.

And I've found I don't care for synthetics - my system now is to buy everything in wool as much as possible, because if I'm chilly during the day hiking (and I do, I'm a gal and any arm/thigh/butt fat freezes solid and takes hours to warm up), then I can wear it and being wool, it won't be a soggy, stinky mess in camp, it dries very quickly. So I'd switch out the Pat cap for Icebreaker or similar quality wool in a medium thickness for hiking and camp.

Your pack seems awfully big - have you loaded your gear and seen how much room you'll have afterwards for food and water? If you have excess room you'll be tempted to fill it with stuff you don't need, you know. Also at 6 lbs min., that's a very heavy pack - don't know your money situation but if I were you I'd go for a ULA Catalyst (of course I just bought a ULA Circuit and absolutely love it, so I'm happily biased.) And I'm a former Gregory user, used mine nearly 200 miles, and if the torso had worked for me I'd probably have kept it, even though it was over 3 lbs. But there are other quality and lighter packs out there - just food for thought.

Papa D
01-17-2012, 09:28
That Versalite Bag is a really good one for the first month or so but you'll get hot in it pretty soon. I'd also strongly suggest skipping the water filter - just use a little bleach or aqua-mira when you need to treat water (which probably isn't every bottle full). I carry crocs - not sure why someone says it's a "fad" - they are great camp shoes - for me, they just replaced heavy Tevas and before that Birkinstocks that I used to carry. I'd get rid of the mountain hardware pants - your rain pants will do for "pants" - even early on, you'll find yourself wearing shorts a lot. You also didn't say what was in your "first aid kit" - it should fit easily and lightly in a 1 qt ziplock bag - steer away from the big pre-made kits. Finally, as the earlier poster suggested, 75 liters is a BIG pack - my winter pack (snow, ice, heavier stuff) is only 70 liters -- for 3-season (thru-hiker style), I do 55 liters.

Bags4266
01-17-2012, 11:35
F-stop, yes i consider almost a pound for a down jacket to heavy. Some of the patagonia, montbell etc down shirts are almost half the weight. The org. op has a nice warm bag to cozy into if it gets colder than that. That said I own a LL bean 850 down jacket thats 16 oz. I do bring it on occasions however I wouldn't take it on a thru just overkill in my opinion which will be one of many.

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 13:08
Also it seems like you can carry much more water then you ever would need. 6L plus 2 1 L nalgenes. Is this for showering or drinking?

The 6L Dromedary bag I planned on just having it to hold water in camp. The 2 nalgenes are just for drinking. I guess that is alittle too much. Just like all the clothes I always have the problem with taking more than I will ever use.

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 13:33
I'd also strongly suggest skipping the water filter - just use a little bleach or aqua-mira when you need to treat water (which probably isn't every bottle full). I carry crocs - not sure why someone says it's a "fad" - they are great camp shoes - for me, they just replaced heavy Tevas and before that Birkinstocks that I used to carry. You also didn't say what was in your "first aid kit" - it should fit easily and lightly in a 1 qt ziplock bag - steer away from the big pre-made kits. Finally, as the earlier poster suggested, 75 liters is a BIG pack - my winter pack (snow, ice, heavier stuff) is only 70 liters -- for 3-season (thru-hiker style), I do 55 liters.

I have thought about not taking a water filter and just sticking to aqua-mira when I feel it's needed. I have been on plenty of trips when I didn't even use a filter or anything to treat water. I guess I really don't need it at all.

For the crocs I will have to be with you on the idea. They are great camp shoes and great for river crossings IMO. I will have to stick with those.

My first aid kit is one I have made up with just the bare essentials. Like cloth tape, some goodys powder, snake bit kit, few pieces of cloth material to make up a bandaid if needed, 2 or 3 alky wipes. Couple other little things and it all fits in a ziplock easy.

And the backpack like you and another post said that it's alittle too much. I know it's a huge pack and have thought about downsizing, it's just hard for me to part with the Palisade 80 I have used it a lot and find that it's really comfortable and just afraid I won't be able to find another one that I like as much.

Captain_Slo
01-17-2012, 14:32
i'm trying to decide between a simmerlite and a supercat also. I think I'll try starting out with the alchy-stove and then switching to the simmerlite if I'm finding myself too inconvenienced/impatient/whatever. Anyone have thoughts on this?

railwalker
01-17-2012, 14:54
hi, have a question about the alcohol. how many alcohol would you carry for your stove?
what would be the best thing to carry the alcohol?

a) 14924

b) 14925

c) 14926

double d
01-17-2012, 16:30
I think someone has beat me to it, but my suggestion is to ditch the nalgene bottles and use two 64oz Gator aid bottles, much easier to pack and use. Otherwise, good advice you are getting.

Slo-go'en
01-17-2012, 18:40
You don't need to wear much when hiking, even on cold wet days. Just keep moving. Over dress and you'll just sweat even more. So, drop item #14 and keep #13, the lighter top/bottom. I'd add a long sleeve shirt for hiking in when a jacket isn't needed (which is most of the time). The shirt will keep you reasonably warm and keep your arms from getting sunburnt. You don't list the weights, but I have a feeling the big four (#1 to 4) are going to be on the heavy side. I'm guessing your base weight is pushing close to 30 pounds to start. I'm also guessing your starting early March?

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 20:49
I think someone has beat me to it, but my suggestion is to ditch the nalgene bottles and use two 64oz Gator aid bottles, much easier to pack and use. Otherwise, good advice you are getting.

Yeah I have decided to ditch one nalgene and go for one Gatorade bottle of some sort. The only reason in keeping the one nalgene is just in case I decide to have something hot.

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 20:56
You don't list the weights, but I have a feeling the big four (#1 to 4) are going to be on the heavy side. I'm guessing your base weight is pushing close to 30 pounds to start. I'm also guessing your starting early March?

Yeah 1-4 is by far the heaviest items, but after someone above posted about the palisade 80 being too much pack. I'm looking into going with a smaller lighter pack, haven't decided what yet.

And to answer your question about base weight the last time I checked it was right around 25-30 if I'm not mistaking.

And on the start date I wanted to start around March 15 but I have to finish school first and it's going to be towards the end of March if not the first week in April.

prain4u
01-17-2012, 21:29
Great ideas thus far from this esteemed group. Here are my thoughts---

--You are bringing way too much water capacity. That 6 liter Dromedary bag alone weighs 8.7 oz. when empty (and 14+ pounds when full). I hike with 2--one liter--Gatorade bottles. I believe they are lighter than Nalgene bottles. The Gatorade bottles can be easily and inexpensively replaced on a regular basis in order to avoid bacteria build up. When I hike "heavy" I bring the 4 liter Dromedary (6.9 oz). I can't imagine a scenario where you would EVER need 8 L of water--even when in camp. Carry less capacity and obtain/purify water more often.

--Too much clothing for my tastes--and it probably weighs more than I would like too. Other posters have already given you some ideas--and I am guessing others will give you ideas as well.

--There are several items for which you do not give us enough detail (or enough of a breakdown) in order for us to give you an educated opinion (i.e. "First aid kit with toothbrush, TP, and all that good stuff" or "maps")

--Your pack weighs 6 lbs 3 oz. That pack is much heavier and much roomier than most hikers would probably need. By comparison, the ULA Catalyst weights just 2 lbs. 15 oz.

--Your sleeping bag is nice and light--but probably too warm --especially after you reach mid-late April. (This is especially true with all of the other warm clothing that you are bringing with you--which could be worn inside of a cooler/lighter sleeping bag on cold nights).

--Your tent (at 2 lbs 13 oz) is not 'heavy". However, there are tent/shelter options which are much lighter.

In short--you are spending a great deal of money on expensive/quality equipment. However, for similar prices (or even less $$$) you could probably cut 10 lbs without sacrificing very much in the way of safety or comfort.

Papa D
01-17-2012, 21:33
I have thought about not taking a water filter and just sticking to aqua-mira when I feel it's needed. I have been on plenty of trips when I didn't even use a filter or anything to treat water. I guess I really don't need it at all.

For the crocs I will have to be with you on the idea. They are great camp shoes and great for river crossings IMO. I will have to stick with those.

My first aid kit is one I have made up with just the bare essentials. Like cloth tape, some goodys powder, snake bit kit, few pieces of cloth material to make up a bandaid if needed, 2 or 3 alky wipes. Couple other little things and it all fits in a ziplock easy.

And the backpack like you and another post said that it's alittle too much. I know it's a huge pack and have thought about downsizing, it's just hard for me to part with the Palisade 80 I have used it a lot and find that it's really comfortable and just afraid I won't be able to find another one that I like as much.

Excellent changes - BUT, there is no such thing as a "snake bite kit" - #1) the likelihood of you getting bit by a poisonous snake is nearly zero (nil) - doubt it has EVER happened to a thru-hiker (maybe one or two in 50 years) and #2) there is only about a 50% chance it would inject venom #3) a snake bite kit is a useless tool - if in the rarest of cases you were bit, just elevate it, be calm and get out fast and steady. Read this:

pet-snakes.com/useless-tool-snake-bite-kit

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 22:21
Great ideas thus far from this esteemed group. Here are my thoughts---

--You are bringing way too much water capacity. That 6 liter Dromedary bag alone weighs 8.7 oz. when empty (and 14+ pounds when full). I hike with 2--one liter--Gatorade bottles. I believe they are lighter than Nalgene bottles. The Gatorade bottles can be easily and inexpensively replaced on a regular basis in order to avoid bacteria build up. When I hike "heavy" I bring the 4 liter Dromedary (6.9 oz). I can't imagine a scenario where you would EVER need 8 L of water--even when in camp. Carry less capacity and obtain/purify water more often.

--There are several items for which you do not give us enough detail (or enough of a breakdown) in order for us to give you an educated opinion (i.e. "First aid kit with toothbrush, TP, and all that good stuff" or "maps")

--Your pack weighs 6 lbs 3 oz. That pack is much heavier and much roomier than most hikers would probably need. By comparison, the ULA Catalyst weights just 2 lbs. 15 oz.

In short--you are spending a great deal of money on expensive/quality equipment. However, for similar prices (or even less $$$) you could probably cut 10 lbs without sacrificing very much in the way of safety or comfort.

To be honest after I read above post and yours I realized that I don't need the dromedary bag at all. I'm really not sure what got me into thinking I did, so that's off the list. The 2 nalgenes are gone also I'm just going to keep one and have a Gatorade bottle.

My first aid kit is pretty small just some cloth tape, eye drops(pollen kills my eyes in the spring from time to time), goodys powder, Benadryl, guaze to make up bandaids, needle and some alky wipes.

On the maps part I'm just going to have the maps on me that I will be hiking at the time and other ones will be sent ahead. That's just if it is a must to have maps at all.

I know that my pack is way more than I will ever need. I have been shopping a new one today after a few earlier post stated it was to much and I would just end up packing more than I would ever need. So I'm looking into a new not sure what just yet though.

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 22:24
Excellent changes - BUT, there is no such thing as a "snake bite kit" - #1) the likelihood of you getting bit by a poisonous snake is nearly zero (nil) - doubt it has EVER happened to a thru-hiker (maybe one or two in 50 years) and #2) there is only about a 50% chance it would inject venom #3) a snake bite kit is a useless tool - if in the rarest of cases you were bit, just elevate it, be calm and get out fast and steady. Read this:

pet-snakes.com/useless-tool-snake-bite-kit

I had never really put any thought to the actual chance of not having to use the snake bit kit until you said this and after reading that article you posted I'm throwing that out also. So snake bit kit is off the list.

Chrisj
01-17-2012, 22:33
i'm trying to decide between a simmerlite and a supercat also. I think I'll try starting out with the alchy-stove and then switching to the simmerlite if I'm finding myself too inconvenienced/impatient/whatever. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I love both of my stoves. The only reason I stopped using the alchy stove was because my girlfriend stated hiking a lot with me and I found out very quick that I needed to be able to cook a lot more stuff. So the alchy just wasn't pleasing me as much with her than it did when I just needed to boil some water. After I moved to the simmerlite I never thought about going back until now and since she won't be hiking with me, I can live without it.

TOMP
01-17-2012, 22:39
Pack shopping- If you want a lighter pack that is the same cubic in. try the alps cascade 5200. It is 85L and tons of space and comfort. Weighs 4 lbs and 11 oz. Still not considered light but if you are used to a 6 lb pack it is a nice step down. I modifyed mine to weigh 4 lbs. About 2 times the weight of golite packs but also 2 times the volume. If you feel you cant reduce the volume I would buy something like this. Got mine for 42 dollars on steepandcheap.com

Blissful
01-17-2012, 22:52
Aqua mira instead of filter
Might consider convertible pants, then you don't need shorts at all
One t shirt is good enough until summer
send rain pants home later
I'd keep a long sleeve hiking shirt but probably can get away with not having the bottom for hiking, esp with hiking pants. Keep the set for camp
cookwear too heavy, just get a snowpeak pot and one lexan spoon. Skip the bowl. I'd take a cup too for dipping out of a stream if you take Aqua mira
Nalgene heavy, go with Aqua fina bottles or the like (I've seen 1 liter spring water bottles also).
Don't need a 6 liter bag, 3 liter is big enough

headlamp, lighter, pack cover, pack liner (like a trash compactor bag)
DEET after April, hard to know what's in your first aid kit
camera, cell phone (?)

jacob_springsteen
01-17-2012, 23:42

Here,
pick up a scale like this and see what gear items weigh and what can be lightened up:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Table-Postal/dp/B004W7IOV4/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1326857916&sr=1-9