PDA

View Full Version : Southbounder Snow and water alert

Moxie00
03-15-2005, 11:10
Yesterday I had to shovel out my first floor windows so I could see out. In Maine in the last few weeks we hane had over four feet of snow and 24 inches last saturday. The snow has been wet and the water content is very high. If you plan to go southbound this year please check trail conditions before starting. Katahdin may not open to climbing until late June or earky July due to winter conditions. In most of Maine and especially in the 100 mile wilderness there are many river and stream crossings and no bridges so you must wade the icy rushing water. Conditions this year will make flooding very possible and dangerous. The Maine AT Club has had many bridges washed out by spring floods so in many cases we just stopped building them. Once the spring, early summer runoff and melt is over things will be back to normal but please check conditions before you start an early southbound hike as I would hate to see any hiker stranded or have to turn back. Shaw's in Monson and the Baxter Park authority will have trail conditions a well as the State Parks and Rec dept.:o

Nameless
03-16-2005, 06:06
I was planning to head up Katahdin June 3 to start my SOBO. I'm comming all the way from Alaska, so once tickets are bought its done for. Do you think i should delay my hike for a week or three? You know Maine's weather better then i do. I cannot wait untill last minuet to change plans, because the person starting the trail with me has to take the time off of work, and that isnt real flexible. I can handle the cold, but would prefer to camp near the mountain with it open,

Thanks
Pink

Moxie00
03-16-2005, 10:06
June 3rd is a very early start for Katahdin even on a good year, In 2000 "Mr Clean started south from Abol Bridge on Jan. 1st so that is an option if Katahdin is closed to hiking, but Katahdin is the greatest mountain on the whole trail and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Please contact Buzz Claverly at the Baxter Park headquarters in Millinocket 04462, (207) 732-5140 and he can give you his best estimate as to when Katahdin will open for hiking. When we have had open winters (little snow) it has opened as early as May 31st but I don't think that will happen this year. If we get a heat wave and all this snow melts by then the water will alll be in the rivers and streams and crossings will be dangerous. Best of luck. "Moxie":bse

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2005, 10:51
Katahdin sure has received lots of snow since I was there on Feb 28th, I never even needed my Tubbs as the snow was barely 3" deep. http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6280/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

I just read a ski trip to Daicey Pond report that took place during the last storm -wicked! But the AT to Baxter Peak should be open by Memorial Day as usual. Snow melts. There's a shady section past the Cave along the edge of the Ravine that needs to get sunshine before the Trail officially opens. As far as stream levels on the other side of the West Branch, the snowmelt might still be a factor around Whitecap. I'm hiking in to Katahdin Stream next month, and will be camping there on May 15th as usual. We'll keep the MEGAs posted as to Trail conditions.

minnesotasmith
03-16-2005, 10:57
starting mid- or late July. I'd figured blackflies and mud were the two main reasons not to start earlier. I don't want to start too late, or I might hit too much snow in VA; I don't have an infinite amount of time for my thru, not if I want to keep my job. Plus, the daylight length shortening would come right when my physical condition would improve to the point I could really spend lots of time on the trail each day. So, what's the soonest in an average year for nonmasochists to start a SOBO thru-hike?

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2005, 11:12
So, what's the soonest in an average year for nonmasochists to start a SOBO thru-hike?
Over the last several years between 60-80 hikers have left Baxter heading south by the first week in June. Can't answer re: their personal kinks, though.

Nameless
03-17-2005, 18:21
Ok, so i'm confused. Some say the mountain will be open regardless, and others doubt it will be. I need to buy my plane tickets within the next couple days, and am itching to be on the trail. Should i expect it to be open June 4th, and be able to camp inside the park?

Thanks
Pink

TJ aka Teej
03-17-2005, 22:48
You will be able to camp inside the Park. (You have reservations, yes? Katahdin Stream?) There is always a remote possibility that the AT might not be open, but for the last ten+ years the AT has been open by Memorial Day weekend.

Nameless
05-16-2005, 03:13
I was just curious how conditions currently are in maine, i hike the mountain on June 8, what should i expect?

Thankyou
Pink

SnakebiteSurvivor
05-16-2005, 05:00
Check out the following news story:

http://news.mainetoday.com/apwire/D8A33BN83-133.shtml

A relevant paragraph: "Spring is perhaps a week or 10 days late, forcing the park to open campgrounds at South Branch Pond, Roaring Brook and Nesowdnehunk Field later than scheduled because of impassable roads. Only Abol Trail has the potential to offer a Katahdin climb by Memorial Day weekend, said park Director Irvin "Buzz" Caverly."

This would suggest that the Hunt Trail may not be open until mid-June. Of course, you can always start at Abol Bridge and hike south and come back later to climb Katahdin.

Moon Monster
05-16-2005, 10:00
Ok, so i'm confused.

Read Moxie's second post again for a contact phone number for Baxter.

RITBlake
05-16-2005, 10:53
aww crap. I don't know if I can take the wait! Is a June 1st start in Mane the equiv. of a March 1st start in Georgia?

weary
05-16-2005, 11:11
Sunday I spoke to Marge, who with her husband runs the Cabin Hostel in Andover. She said a weekend maintainer found "waist-deep" snow on Baldpate near Grafton Notch, 250+ miles south of Katahdin, and 1,200 feet lower in elevation.

That tells me that the AT to the summit of Katahdin will not be open by Memorial Day.

It's impossible to say when it will open after Memorial Day. Spring has a way of creeping up on folks -- even on Katahdin.

The Abol Trail, which parallels the Hunt Trail (AT), probably will be open for early June southbounders. Since there is no way to safely use the AT given treacherous late spring snow conditions, my reading of the 2,000-miler criteria tells me that the Abol Trail can be substituted.

Abol is a great trail, different from the AT, but equally challenging and equally scenic. It leaves the Abol Campground, about two miles East of Katahdin Stream.

Given snow conditions, I would guess that space likely will be available in the park, but check with the Baxter Park office to be sure.

Weary

mhussey
05-16-2005, 12:15
Was looking to hike Katahdin next weekend and called to see if they required crampons (mountain is still snow covered as witnessed from the summit of Sugarloaf Mountain). She told me they were delaying the park opening and were not able to even drive on the roads. She said after Memorial Day, the mountain MAY open up Abol to hike. As of last Friday, she said there was still 39" of snow at Chimney!!!! May make my weekend trip into Russell Pond-BSP the first week of June kind of interesting!

ferryman
05-16-2005, 12:54
After speaking with Baxter State Park officials (207-723-5140), the park is now open. Unfortunately, today is a class 4 day, meaning no one is allowed above tree-line. How long that will continue is unknown as this year's spring runoff combined with record levels of rainfall will make for some...shall we say, soggy conditions. While there remains high water levels of rivers and streams, the hiking here in Maine is only going to get better. I met with a potential speed hiker hoping to break Pete "Cujo" Palmer's record 49 day sprint of the AT. He will most probably see the northbounders first. For anyone headed to start their thru-hike at Katahdin:sun and wants to save some bucks, take Cyr Bus Line (1-800-244-2335) from Bangor to Medway, then either hitch or take a taxi the 23 miles to Baxter State Park and the Big K (Katahdin). Buses leave daily from Bangor at 6:00pm (Greyhound) and 6:30pm (Concord Trailways) arriving the 60 mile road trip in Medway/East Millinocket at approximately 7:40pm. We will be looking forward to the start of our 18th season and our 16,000th hiker sometime soon. Best to all who are trying to achieve their hike of a lifetime. See ya'll at the river. Steve

TJ aka Teej
05-16-2005, 20:48
Just back from Baxter, Rangers expect the Hunt (the AT) to stay closed until Memorial Day weekend. Right now there's deep snow above 'The Cave', and the trail is pretty much a stream between Rescue Rock and Oh Joy Brook. The Owl Trail is open, and Abol just might be the first trail up Katahdin to open for a change. Chimney Pond still reports over 3 feet of snow, Roaring Brook Campground might not open until mid June, and the Roaring Brook Road has a major washout at Windy Pitch. Hiked into Hurd Brook, past some wicked nice new MATC rockwork at the spring. Hurd Brook is low, crossed easy with dry boots. Camped northwest of Katahdin on Friday and Saturday, no bugs, nighttime temps mid-30s, whitecaps on the lake. Camped Sunday night at Katahdin Stream, rain and sleet, 35 at 2AM. The perimeter road is still soft and under repair, the decades old corduroy road showing through above Foster Field. Early this morning four guys from New York in matching raincoats, two with metal cowboy canteens slung over their shoulders, were heading up the Hunt Trail to see how far they'd get. Ready or not, the hiking season has begun at Baxter Park.

mhussey
05-17-2005, 08:28
Couple of quick questions, I have reservations at Russell Pond on the 3-5th of June. Will I have issues with the park allowing me to stay/get into there if the roads are soft and snow is still around?

The NY folks you spoke of were attempting to summit on what sounds like a closed trail, can anyone do this? I know they are often strict at Touge Pond Gate and only allow you into certain areas but if you camped out I suppose they would not know where/what you were up to. Then again, Ive been stranded coming off the knifes edge in the dark and in a thunderstorm and was forced to sleep on the mountain under a rock. I was glad we signed in at each place in case someone in my party was injured they could have some place to look.

Moxie00
05-17-2005, 09:31
I was planning to clear the section I maintain on Saddleback this weekend but I am getting reports of deep rotting snow and ice in all our high mountains. According to Dick Fecteau, who is in charge of maintance in the Bigelow region of the AT Cranberry Pond on Bigolow is still ice covered and the trail is impassable because of rotting snow. Last year I went up early and found streams impassable and snowshoes useless on rotting snow so I am going to put maintance off for a week or so. Last year I was painting blazes in early June and a north bounder, "Officer Taco" came through. I have no idea what day he left Georgia but usually you never even see southbounder in my section that early. Maine is a beautiful State, it's just you have to allow it time to dry out and thaw out. My advice is don't try to rush it, Katahdin is no where near ready to open and many a hiker has had ruined their hike by trying to rush the season im Maine.

:welcome To Maine, the way life should be. ps. the blackflies are hungry and anxious to meet you.

TJ aka Teej
05-17-2005, 10:18
mhussey: If you can't stay at Russell Pond, the Rangers will find another spot inside the Park for you. As far as the NYers heading up a closed trail, they were told at the Gate that there were no trails to the summit open. Rangers provide information, post trailheads, and talk with all the hikers they can, but some hikers will always ignore them. The staff was spread pretty thin, repairs and prep work everywhere, and not a full compliment of Rangers yet on hand anyways - so let's hope no rescue was called for.
moxie: No blackflies yet between Rainbow Ledges and Katahdin, I think the MATC probably won't release this year's crop untill they are finished greasing the bog bridges.

plodder
05-20-2005, 05:00
I SEE YOU LEFT a fancy new book at Hurd Brook. I Spoke with a ranger, they were working on evaluating the Hunt Trail. The usual, it'll open in time... Light snow fell up top Monday night. Everyone beware, the moose are very active. Don't drive like an idiot. An extra 20 minutes in the grand scheme of things won't hurt. Plod on.

Nameless
05-21-2005, 06:03
Looks like I will be a little colder than usual, but the trails seems as if they should all be open by the 7th of June, which is when my reservations are for. Thankyou for the updates (mabey I should have waited another week on the start date.... oh well, too late now)

Thanks
Pink

DLANOIE
05-21-2005, 20:09
Just a great post. And alot of great information useful for my 2007 SOBO.

thanx Teej for that halarious comment:D

DLANOIE
05-21-2005, 20:12
Also to Nameless......

Best of luck you lucky dog. :D

ferryman
05-21-2005, 20:46
If your waiting for the black flies, no see ums, mosquitos, horse flies and other assorted blood sucking insects to go away here in Maine, you may never "git yerself out" to see a white blaze in Maine this season. If your waiting for the bureaucracy at Baxter State Park to decide when you can summit Katahdin, don't hold your breath. I love New Hampshire's "Live Free or Die" motto in regards to mountain travel, but Maine is not New Hampshire and Carter, from Virginia, decided to forego the summit of the Big K and just start hiking south. Yes, there are lots of blowdowns and waist deep fords, but that's what hiking in Maine is all about. Local folk here in the northern Appalachian mountains say " if you don't like the weather in Maine, just wait fifteen minutes." So here goes Carter, having a grand ol' time, eating solid town food, laundering up, taking in the sanctity of this special place we call Maine and tomorrow, on Sunday he will arrive to the Kennebec River for Morning Services, that's the morning ferry service that runs from 9-11am and head on down to "Glorious Virginia."

pabo
05-25-2005, 12:15
I'm starting up a SOBO June 5th, so I'd like to thank all of you for the information in this thread. Also, since it seems we have some people posting in here who help maintain the AT, and even the ferryman, I'd like to thank you guys as well.
I'm looking forward to starting this crazy hike in the crazy season in maine :)

pabo
05-28-2005, 10:44
I just got off the phone with a woman at Baxter State Park, and she says there are NO trails open to the summit of Katahdin.
Monday is supposed to be a little warmer than it has been, hopefully melting some snow so the trails can be opened.
June 5th start date is still a week away, but I would feel better if the trails were already open now. What do I do if the trails aren't open? Just not hike Katahdin?

weary
05-28-2005, 11:45
June 5th start date is still a week away, but I would feel better if the trails were already open now. What do I do if the trails aren't open? Just not hike Katahdin?
Only you can make that decision. But on the 5th I would talk to the rangers and park officials to get their best guesses as to when the mountain might open. If it's only likely to be a few days, I would wait. Beyond that it depends on how much time you have to complete the southern end of the trail.

Many southbounders start as late as mid July. Unless you are fast, that late a start will get you into snow in the southern Appalachians. Life involves trade offs.

But my vote is to do Katahdin if it's at all reasonable to do so. Don't worry about which trail is open, however. All the Katahdin trails are challenging. Take which ever one opens first, regardless of whether it is technically the AT.

Weary

plodder
05-28-2005, 19:25
Have faith. TJ will be up there the end of the week. He'll snap them into shape. Got a nickel sez it'll be open Wed. Got a dime sez it's a raw time up there this weekend.

Tramper Al
05-29-2005, 21:30
If your waiting for the black flies, no see ums, mosquitos, horse flies and other assorted blood sucking insects to go away here in Maine, you may never "git yerself out" to see a white blaze in Maine this season.
Hello ferryman,

Weatherman and I greatly enjoyed crossing the Kennebec with you last Sunday morning. It was certainly one of the more interesting white blazes I have passed along the way. I was just out for a little 56 mile walk from Flagstaff to Monson, hardly newsworthy, but it was my first real taste of some cold rainy springtime conditions on the AT in Maine. We got plenty wet and had a great time. Thanks again for the safe and friendly passage.

Moxie00
05-30-2005, 10:57
I went up to Saddleback yesterday to clear my section- Eddy Pond to Piazza Rock. I am just over 200 trail miles southwest of Katahdin. The winter caused alot of blowdowns and my chainsaw was busy all day. Some of my stone steps had beautifiul waterfalls coming down right on the trail. In places there was still alot of ice and snow but the trail was passable. I would not reccomend hiking in anything but waterproof boots as at least my section of Maine has deep water, ankle deep mud, snow and ice on much of the AT. The good news is that there are NO blackflies and it is the last days of May. I guess there is some benefit to a very late spring. I opened as many waterbars as I can but I just couldn't get all the water off the trail, only dry warm weather can do that but better days are coming.
:welcome To Maine, wet, cold, but still a wonderful place and looking for warmer days.

pabo
05-30-2005, 16:40
I'm sure I'll be reaping the benefits from your hard work in a few weeks. Thanks for the trail maintenance :)

Peaks
05-31-2005, 09:11
We spent Memorial Day weekend in the White Mountains. Spring is about 3 weeks late up there. Driving through the various notches, it's still very early spring. Hardly any trees leafed out on Friday. Much more green on Monday when we left. Snow/ice line is about 3500 feet. Areas above treeline are ice free. So, trails are passible, just allow extra time. The snow and ice is lingering in areas that are sheltered from the sun. Streams are high and cold with runoff. Bridges out on some of the trails probably due to the heavy rains about 3 or 4 weeks ago (like the Gale River crossing (off AT)).

And of course, reports of new wet snow from the Mount Washington Observatory.

On a side note, we met "Jay Bird," the first NOBO of the year. This is the Jay Bird that is not keeping an on line journal. Anyway, he started March 1, and is making fast time.