PDA

View Full Version : Leave of Absence to hike the AT

Andrew Smith
01-17-2012, 12:56
I am in a situation where I have been planning to attempt a Thru Hike this spring (2012) but I will need to leave my current job. I have been thinking about asking for a 6 month unpaid leave of absence, but don't want to be let go just for asking. I am hoping to be able to keep my job on hold until I return and hopefully keep the health insurance (just pay my portion out of pocket) while on the trail. Is there anyone else in this kind of situation?

A little background info on my company:
I have been working as a structural designer at a lumber yard for the past 6 years (It is a small company but a good size lumber yard with ~500 employees) and the spring, summer, and fall seasons are the busiest for my work. So I will be gone for most of the busy season (this could end the potential of the leave of absence). My department is pretty small, only 6 designers so we do get pretty busy at times. Hopefully the small size of my department plus the time I have already put in will help me out.

Any thoughts on how to approach my boss to try to get the leave of absence so I can make my attempt?

Panzer1
01-17-2012, 13:09
Sounds like they will need to replace you. Few employers can keep a position open for 6 months.In this economy I would not quit a good paying job.Panzer

Feral Bill
01-17-2012, 13:19
How about either: a. A hike in the desert during your slow season.
b. A long winter section hike in the middle third of the AT.

Juice
01-17-2012, 13:21
Are you willing to resign your position for your hike? Are you worried about being fired for simply asking? If resigning from your job isn't a financial possibility then you simply ask and if they say no you've got your answer. I work for a social service agency with 300-400 employees and last September I gave my notice to resign in March for my hike. My job is so demanding that I thought it would be impossible to even ask for a leave of absence. A week later my supervisor asked me to consider taking a leave instead of resigning. There's only one way to find out.

MissMagnolia
01-17-2012, 13:52
I have a somewhat specialized position and I did not expect a leave of absence. I meant to resign, but I did bring it up and my manager is trying to get me at least 12 weeks of a non-medical leave of absence. I'm still waiting to find out, but I planned to leave in the first place, so if I get it, it's a bonus. As she pointed out, anything can happen on the trail and some things might knock me off the trail during the three months, so it still could be helpful, in the event I'm unable to complete my thru-hike, or the financial responsibilities win out.

Otherwise, I can keep going and lose the leave. I told her my ultimate goal was just to leave on good enough terms that they'd be willing to hire me back, whether I get the leave or not. She would, but you never know what HR will say.

Anyway, it's definitely a gamble, but I didn't think I'd get it, I asked and I might actually get it, or part of it. So.....good luck!

Andrew Smith
01-17-2012, 14:00
I am willing to resign. The position is not that well paid and it is about time to move on to something new because there is no real growth in my position. I really just want to have the option of coming back after the hike if I need to. My boss is pretty laid back, but I'm just not to sure how to approach the situation because he works in another location, so it would either need to be a phone call or email, which either way I feel is unprofessional. I supposed just setting up a meeting with him to discuss the situation would be best.

WillyStyle
01-17-2012, 14:21
I work for a small company and suspect that 6 months is too long for my position to be empty, but I am not the one making that decision.
I left a phone message for my boss, who is the owner of the company, saying it was my plan to hike the AT from April to September and that we should sit down and talk about how we can make it work. I did this as soon as I was committed to the hike so he would have as much time as possible to realize what was going on.
I made a point of scheduling a sit down and we discussed the situation. I don't expect my job to be here when I am done, but I plan on continuing a good relationship with my current employer.

Slo-go'en
01-17-2012, 18:58
You should have broched this subject a long time ago to feel out your boss and if he was inclined to do it, give him time to plan. Now with only a month or two to go, he's not going to be too happy with you.

hikerboy57
01-17-2012, 19:31
when i first approached my boss about taking time off for a thru, he simply said"if thats what you really want to do, but I'll have to replace you."
this was about 2 years ago. last year i went to him again and asked for 3 months to do half the trail, and he agreed. a few weeks later I told him that if I was feeling good after i got to dwg, i just might have to finish, and he was cool with it. My plans have sinve changed