PDA

View Full Version : ULA vs Golite

conburn
01-17-2012, 16:04
I currently have an osprey exos 58 that I like a lot, but I think it may be a little too big once I send my cold weather gear home and I think for the weight I should be at that frame less is the way to go. I have had my eye on a ULA pack for some time now (CDT or Ohm) but just recently the golite jam went on sale for 70 bucks. I've heard good things on both sides, but not from the good knowledgeable folks on white blaze. Thoughts?

Pages
01-17-2012, 16:55
i have a CDT and love it. carry 24 lbs in it with no problem.

Bloomer
01-17-2012, 17:16
Look at the customer service of each company. IMO ULA hands down has the best I have ever incountered. I too have a CDT + Catalyst and glad I switched to these packs. It seams more hikers have ULA packs than Golite for a reason!

Lyle
01-17-2012, 17:16
I've had a ULA P2 for many years now, with many hundreds (should probably be counting in thousands now) of miles on it. Not a single problem, other than one of the elastic cords coming loose from the closure of a side pocket. Never bothered to fix it, and have never lost anything out of that pocket.

Excellent, comfortable, durable pack that is only slightly too large for my current gear.

Slo-go'en
01-17-2012, 18:27
I was recently in the market for an ultra light pack and after comparing a number of options bought the ULA "CDT". It was the most expensive of the choices I had, but I think I'll be happy with this pack. Now I'm looking for 1 pound summer bag sleeping options. Guess I'm leaning towards a down quilt from Jacks 'R' better.

Smooth & Wasabi
01-17-2012, 20:14
I have an old and light Jam2 I got cheap. With the current models I think the CDT is the way to go even though they don't ever go on clearance.

FamilyGuy
01-17-2012, 23:41
Look at the customer service of each company. IMO ULA hands down has the best I have ever incountered. I too have a CDT + Catalyst and glad I switched to these packs. It seams more hikers have ULA packs than Golite for a reason!

Uh, that is a bit of a (huge) generalization.....

FamilyGuy
01-17-2012, 23:45
BPL did a large test on frameless packs and measured torso collapse as loads got to 20lbs and then 25lbs. The Golite Jam had far less torso collapse than the ULA CDT meaning that more of the load was transferred to the hips with the Golite than with the ULA. The Jam simply carried better for a frameless pack (they used several different methods of packing with a sleeping pad). That said and given the price at which the Golite is available, it is a no brainer. Get the Jam.

Having said all that - I dislike frameless packs and would get a ULA OHM 2.0 or HMG Porter.

Or...a Mchale....

skinewmexico
01-17-2012, 23:53
I have a Jam2 from back when they were light. Haven't used it since I got my ULA packs. Help some people in Utah get a paycheck. I've had good service from GoLite. I've had incredible service from ULA. No one at GoLite ever got my cell phone number off my invoice and called me at home, at night, to answer a fit question.

Tinker
01-18-2012, 15:09
I was recently in the market for an ultra light pack and after comparing a number of options bought the ULA "CDT". It was the most expensive of the choices I had, but I think I'll be happy with this pack. Now I'm looking for 1 pound summer bag sleeping options. Guess I'm leaning towards a down quilt from Jacks 'R' better.
Take a look at the Montbell ULAP liner if you decide you need a full bag. No side baffle means you can shake almost all the down from one side to the other to adjust to temperature variations, and, of course, you can always open the zipper part or all the way and use it as a quilt. The plus is, obviously, no drafts when zipped. The minus is that it is very tight (I am at the max girth having a 38" waist and 46" chest and "swimmer's shoulders").
I've used it down into the high 40s, could have gone lower, with a closed cell pad, and around my hammock.

cevans
02-03-2012, 22:17
ULA is now making I know for sure the OHM 2.0 in camo material for 30 bucks more custom made. One of the members on hammockforums.net just got one and it is made of a little stronger material and same weight according to ULA as I chatted with them today. Makes a stronger bomb proof pack.