PDA

View Full Version : Trailhead parking near Mt. Momma's / Shuttle

rgarling
03-15-2005, 13:11
I think there is a small parking lot at the trail crossing about a mile or so from Mt. Momma's. Is this a safe place to park a car for about 10 days?

Also, any recommendations for a shuttle from there back to the trail near Rainbow Springs campground? We will want to meet on April 15th about noon. (2, possibly 3 w/ small packs)

swamp dawg
03-15-2005, 13:23
We parked at Mountain Momma's and paid them a small daily fee. The car was safe and only had a good coating of dust when we got back. Life is good on the trail....Swamp Dawg

peakbagger
03-15-2005, 13:51
When we section hiked thru the park, various rangers had mixed opinions at parking at the small lot up on the dirt road up from Mt Momma's (last road crossing before entering the park). Some mentioned parking on the tar road next to the river just off the interstate exit as being a bit safer due to more traffic. We ended up parking at the dirt lot in April for a week, but did observe more than a bit of broken window glass in the area. It sounds like this area does get hit on occasion but its not all the time.

papa john
03-15-2005, 14:06
Standing Bear Farm has limited parking for a small fee. I used it last summer and had no problems.

Papa John

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2005, 14:22
I think there is a small parking lot at the trail crossing about a mile or so from Mt. Momma's. Is this a safe place to park a car for about 10 days?

NO it is not safe...

bulldog49
03-15-2005, 15:03
I've parked numerous times at the Big Creek trailhead just inside the park near the ranger station. I don't think the station is manned in the winter, but I've never had any problems. It's about 1/2 mile from Mt Mammas.

Youngblood
03-15-2005, 15:27
Rainbow Springs Campground is closed, out of business.

The Solemates
03-15-2005, 18:08

Also, any recommendations for a shuttle from there back to the trail near Rainbow Springs campground? We will want to meet on April 15th about noon. (2, possibly 3 w/ small packs)

I wouldnt park at Davenport Gap if that is what you are referring to. I would not say it is particularly safe. Leave your car at Mtn Mama's, Standing Bear Farm, or the Big Creek area, all of which are much safer and very close to the trail at Davenport.