PDA

View Full Version : parking near standing indian campground in the winter

Bravefriend
01-17-2012, 23:05
hey all out there! i know the actual campground is closed but is it possible to part near the gate/entrance to do the standing indian/mt albert loop during the winter?

thanks in advance
Bravefriend

Summit
01-17-2012, 23:12
If you continue past the campgrouond entrance a few hundred yards to where the pavement ends (FS road is gravel from that point), there is THE backcountry parking lot, which is where you should park whether or not the campground is open. Right across the road from the parking lot is the blue blazed Long Branch Trail that leads two miles up thru nice scenery to the AT @ Glassmine Gap. Nice camping right before you get to the AT on a nice stream. Search WB for "Standing Indian Loop" if you want more details. I'll not repeat the volumn of info that's already been provided.

SouthMark
01-17-2012, 23:13
Backcountry parking is always open. Just bear left at the campground entrance, a couple hundred yards on your left at the kiosk. You'll see it.

SouthMark
01-17-2012, 23:14
Whoops, Summit beat me to it.

Bravefriend
01-17-2012, 23:21
perfect, thanks!

Summit
01-17-2012, 23:22
Whoops, Summit beat me to it.But you added "bear left" and that there's a kiosk! Nice! :)

daddytwosticks
01-18-2012, 08:08
...with area/trail information and bear-proof trash cans also! One of my favorite hikes! Have a blast. :)