birdygal
01-17-2012, 23:10
Is staying at hostels or in town twice a month unrealistic,

Lone Wolf
01-17-2012, 23:14
totally realistic. i'd stay in towns/motels twice a week

4eyedbuzzard
01-17-2012, 23:16
Depends on how often you like to bathe, wash clothes, take a rest in a soft bed, eat something other than hiker food - and the weather.

birdygal
01-17-2012, 23:22
I can do without the bed there wouldn't be one soft enough for my liking, I am bringing my bed a hammock, showers and laundry might not cut the 2 wks

ezNomad
01-17-2012, 23:23
In my thru-hike planning estimates, most week-long sections at 15mpd had town/lodging/resupply options every ~3-4 days, with the exception of a few areas like 100 mile Wilderness, maybe the Smokies.

4eyedbuzzard
01-17-2012, 23:32
I can do without the bed there wouldn't be one soft enough for my liking, I am bringing my bed a hammock, showers and laundry might not cut the 2 wksDon't underestimate how weather may influence your decision. Spring snows can literally force you off the trail for several days. And leaving town in a pouring rain or thunderstorm late in the afternoon after resupplying, doing laundry, and just getting a shower at a campground or hostel might change your mind as well. If living out in the elements were a pure joy all the time we'd all still be living in caves. We are just visitors to the wilderness.

Shadowalker
01-17-2012, 23:32
Staying in Hotel , Not a problem , Taking a night off the Trail for All the Comforts that go with it , Just a way T o reward yourself for All those rewarding days of time spent on the Trail , When you were Down N Dirty roughing it , Its an Adventure , Treat Yourself !! Have Fun !!

Sly
01-17-2012, 23:43
Is staying at hostels or in town twice a month unrealistic,

I can do without the bed there wouldn't be one soft enough for my liking, I am bringing my bed a hammock, showers and laundry might not cut the 2 wks

That's a realistic plan, just do lots of neros. Many hostels allow showers only (no stay) for a small fee.

Slo-go'en
01-18-2012, 00:15
The Siren call of town is very sweat and very strong. Once there, it takes a strong will to leave.

birdygal
01-18-2012, 11:47
I don't have alot of funds I am just trying to figure out how far my funds will take me, the biggest expenses is in towns so If I can avoid them I will, By the way I don't plan on resupplying every 3 days like everyone seems to suggest to me the extra time and walking distance to a town I don't think it is worth 10 less lbs to carry. my weight will be under 35 lbs with 7 days of food

Sly
01-18-2012, 12:06
I don't have alot of funds I am just trying to figure out how far my funds will take me, the biggest expenses is in towns so If I can avoid them I will, By the way I don't plan on resupplying every 3 days like everyone seems to suggest to me the extra time and walking distance to a town I don't think it is worth 10 less lbs to carry. my weight will be under 35 lbs with 7 days of food

If you camp just out of town, get in do your business in a couple hours and get out, you can still get a good days mileage in, or just hike a few miles out of town and camp and rest when you need it.

If you're on a tight budget you may want to consider buying in bulk and mailing your food drops. What's saved at the store (Sam's, BJ's or frugal shopping etc) will pay for postage. At least you'll have food, if not money, up the trail.

In the back of the Companion is a section with hostels, camping and if a fee is charged for "showers only" that looks like it would be extremely useful for you in your situation.

The first thing that comes to a hiker’s one-track mind when she/he hits town is FOOD
and lots of it, followed by a good hot shower and affordable accommodations. In the
pursuit of just food, shower, and laundry, some hikers want to minimize the town experience
and return to the Trail as soon as possible, usually the same day. This list provides
low-cost options and will help you to keep the grunge at bay. Campgrounds were chosen
for their proximity to the Trail, and consideration was given if they allowed nonguest
showers, while keeping in mind travel by foot. There are many other campgrounds listed
in the Companion that are best reached by car or require a longer walk.

birdygal
01-18-2012, 12:19
I plan on doing many mail drops

Sly
01-18-2012, 12:29
I plan on doing many mail drops

It's suggested to use hostels and other places of business that accept drops rather then depending on PO hours. However, while some hostels have policy spelled out, if you do send to a hostel, and don't plan on staying there, you should probably offer to pay a couple dollars for the service.

That said, it's not all that hard to plan to arrive in town when PO's are open, but just be prepared to spend a few hours, or a day or two in town if you arrive early or late. Pay particular attention to holidays.

You may also want to consider adding a PO money order ($50 or less which the PO can cash) to each box to better budget your money.

4eyedbuzzard
01-18-2012, 12:37
I don't have alot of funds I am just trying to figure out how far my funds will take me, the biggest expenses is in towns so If I can avoid them I will, By the way I don't plan on resupplying every 3 days like everyone seems to suggest to me the extra time and walking distance to a town I don't think it is worth 10 less lbs to carry. my weight will be under 35 lbs with 7 days of food10 pounds can make a huge difference in comfort, enjoyability, hiking speed, wear and tear on knees / ankles, less potential for injury, etc. Do you really want to carry the equivalent of two (or on average say even one) extra 5 lb bags of sugar all the way to Maine, and the bigger pack necessary to carry it all in? Mail drops aren't as cost effective as they are at first glance as a portion of the money you save is eaten up by postage, plus you have to go into town anyway - why not just buy there? Regarding extra time, what will you do if you arrive in town after noon on a Saturday without any more supplies and the PO is closed until Mon am (or even Tues if a holiday)? You could just buy a few things and zero outside town, or hike and backtrack, but it just isn't always convenient from a logistics standpoint.

jacquelineanngrant
01-18-2012, 13:35
Twice a month is reasonable. You will probably want to shower and do laundry once a week. Lots of places along the trail offer low cost showers. These are all listed in the thru-hikers companion. Best of luck to you!

birdygal
01-18-2012, 14:35
Thanks everyone, I am going to play it by ear with the mail drops I only have 2 scheduled one at Fontana and the other on the other side of the Smokeys I will carry 7 days from Franklin Tn those miles will give me an idea on whether I want to carry the extra weight.

Sly
01-18-2012, 15:30
10 pounds can make a huge difference in comfort, enjoyability, hiking speed, wear and tear on knees / ankles, less potential for injury, etc. Do you really want to carry the equivalent of two (or on average say even one) extra 5 lb bags of sugar all the way to Maine, and the bigger pack necessary to carry it all in? Mail drops aren't as cost effective as they are at first glance as a portion of the money you save is eaten up by postage, plus you have to go into town anyway - why not just buy there? Regarding extra time, what will you do if you arrive in town after noon on a Saturday without any more supplies and the PO is closed until Mon am (or even Tues if a holiday)? You could just buy a few things and zero outside town, or hike and backtrack, but it just isn't always convenient from a logistics standpoint.

She said she would be carrying 35 pounds with 7 days of food which sounds reasonable. Each day will lighten her load

Of course, I wouldn't walk by a place directly on the trail that accepts resupply such as Mountain Crossings or NOC, or someplace close such as Kincora or Standing Bear, but by shopping frugally beforehand she can make up the postage.