PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain to Hot Springs in June/July?

Nebraska
01-18-2012, 10:20
I'm from Germany, this is my first post. I saw on the German-TV a report about the AT and since this time my thought are turning to make a thru hike.

This year I've the chance to visit the US and I plan to start a 3 week section hike, thinking to start in Springer Mountain in Mid-June, hope to reach Clingmans Dome and finisch the stretch in Hot Springs by the end of the first week in July.

I will encounter there a friend how will pick me up, hopefully. After this I will fly to Omaha, NE, because I was invited to a wedding party.
And here my question: Will be this section o.k., concerning the weather? Or maybe, is it to hot, to difficult , to crowded … ? I'm an rookie, 57 years old, I think me condition is o.k., was running a marathon 2 years ago.
I've decided for this stretch, because it seems to me the easiest way to get on and off the trail (Atlanta ./. Charlotte).

moldy
01-18-2012, 10:37
I made it to Hot Springs from Springer in 21 days. You should be able to do this without much difficulty. Your chief complaints will be insects and heat. With a normal amount of rainfall this year water will not be a problem. At this time of year with 16 or more hours of daylight when it's very hot I like to start hiking at sun-up and then take a nap in the shade in the hottest part of the afternoon. Then I continue hiking until sun-down. This section of trail has many ups and downs each day. Your hike is during the hot months I recommend sleeping or camping at higher altitudes where it's cooler and some of the insects don't like open windy places. Be sure to have a light 40 degree sleeping bag and a tent with insect netting.

Chaco Taco
01-18-2012, 10:38
I'm from Germany, this is my first post. I saw on the German-TV a report about the AT and since this time my thought are turning to make a thru hike.

This year I've the chance to visit the US and I plan to start a 3 week section hike, thinking to start in Springer Mountain in Mid-June, hope to reach Clingmans Dome and finisch the stretch in Hot Springs by the end of the first week in July.

I will encounter there a friend how will pick me up, hopefully. After this I will fly to Omaha, NE, because I was invited to a wedding party.
And here my question: Will be this section o.k., concerning the weather? Or maybe, is it to hot, to difficult , to crowded … ? I'm an rookie, 57 years old, I think me condition is o.k., was running a marathon 2 years ago.
I've decided for this stretch, because it seems to me the easiest way to get on and off the trail (Atlanta ./. Charlotte).
It will be hot but not sweltering. The hottest months down south typically run mid late July through August. But you are right, lots of spots to get on and off if you need to bail. Its the AT, you will find that its easy to get on and off pretty much anywhere. It will be less hot in New England during that time so you may want to consider that. It will be considerably wetter once you get north of New York but still beautiful. I think you will be fine. Just allow yourself longer breaks. Dont be scared of 10 miles a day. It's a good start at first. By the end of your first week you will know what you can and cant do. No matter where you are between Springer and Hot Springs, you can get anywhere, Id worry less about getting around and more about your gear and such and spend time getting in some kind of shape. There are tons of people on here and listed in guidebooks that provide any services you will need.
Here is the one we are part of http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm. This will give you the lay of the land. Maybe get a wall map from the ATC or whatever so you can have a more "birds eye" as you start to make preparations and deciding where you want to go. I like this one http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Wall-Maine-Georgia/dp/0783422997.

Just so you know there are airports all up and down the trail too if you decide you want to do something else. There are also plenty of kind people that will offer you rides and such. Like I said, you wont have any problem with the transportation issue once you get here. Good luck and have fun

bigcranky
01-18-2012, 13:16
The weather will be fine. Expect some hot days and cool nights, probably 25 during the day and 10 at night, but could be as warm as 30 or 35 degrees depending on the year. Expect afternoon thunderstorms most days.

That section is a good one, with relatively easy access to each end. Take it easy at the beginning and you should be fine. One nice thing is that your friend can pick you up anywhere along a 100-mile stretch of trail, depending on how far you end up hiking, and it won't make any real difference in his driving time from/to Charlotte.

daddytwosticks
01-18-2012, 17:12
You had me going there for a minute with the temps, bigcranky! You should have converted the miles to kilometers too. :)

bigcranky
01-18-2012, 17:25
True, didn't think about that. Trying to be hospitable.

Chaco Taco
01-18-2012, 18:52
True, didn't think about that. Trying to be hospitable.

HAHA, I did the same thing. I was ready to poke fun at you. Im sure there will be another chance soon- :sun

The problem I had on this section in August was water. Couldn't go to Erwin because of the long stretches of low/no water.

Papa D
01-18-2012, 20:26
All kidding aside, I've hiked in NC/GA/TN mountains when it was quite cool and wet in the summers (just not lately unfortunately) -- I would suggest the Northeast - CT,MA,VT,NH,ME

Chaco Taco
01-18-2012, 22:07
We were on Big Bald in mid July of 10 and I had my down jacket on

dmax
01-18-2012, 22:21
We were on Big Bald in mid July of 10 and I had my down jacket on

I know what you mean. A couple of years ago while camping up on the roan it got down in the thirties. I have also seen a ton of 90's in May.

rhinodyson
05-14-2015, 15:16
So how did it go? I'll be on the AT in June with my boys.

FatMan
05-14-2015, 17:23
It will be warm hiking for sure. Not so much the temperatures, it is the humidity that will get to you. If you can handle high humidity and be comfortable in sweaty wet clothes that will never dry you will be fine.