PDA

View Full Version : Caratunk, ME

Easyhiker
12-13-2002, 22:17
Info, questions, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Caratunk, ME

Past hikers - what can future hikers expect here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2002, 16:29
Not a whole lot here; the general store has closed. If you want to overnight, the B&B in the center of town is reputedly very nice, but I always stay at Rivers and Trails, which is run by Steve Longley, the former Kennebec River ferryman. there is also EXCELLENT short-term resupply at Steve's.

Peaks
12-14-2002, 17:02
in 2001, the Carratunk House B & B had a good food selection for thru-hikers. But you really don't need to buy much because Monson is only 30 plus miles away.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2002, 17:36
The B&B also makes a trip nightlty into town for pizza, beer, supplies, etc. They serve a kick-ass breakfast too.

pedxing
07-18-2003, 10:59
The Caratunk house was great. They've got really nice beds in the main sleeping room (and some private rooms). My experience squares with Lone Wolf and Peaks. The hiking from Caratunk to Monson is pretty easy.

I met Steve Longley in 2000 when he ferried us across. He definitely was not happy with his situation (I assume he is much happier now that he is not doing the ferrying), but he was pleasant, helpful and kind. Later, he stopped to pick us up while we were thumbing to a pizza stand, even though he knew we weren't staying with him.

Papa Bear
07-18-2003, 17:25
I did the section from Stratton to Monson last week.

There was a register entry which stated that Steve Longley was "hiker unfriendly" at the moment due to some problems he had, and the suggestion was to use the Caratunk House (right off the trail) which was more hiker oriented.

This is an uncorroberated staement, so by all means if you want to stay at Steve's, give him a buzz and see what he says. It's hard to believe that a guy who helped some 14,000 hikers over the years would suddenly become hiker unfriendly, so I am skeptical of the statement.

TJ: know anything about this?

Pb

pedxing
07-18-2003, 18:03
Oh well and here I was hoping Steve was a happier guy now. He seemed to me like the kind of guy who would grouse about whatever was eating at him, but who would do right by you - even go out of his way for you. Unless I hear more, I'll just assume someone heard him grousing.

I'm aiming to do Grafton to Norwich this summer, but if I was headed through Caratunk, I'd have no problem giving Steve a try - although I gotta say I liked Caratunk house.

MOWGLI
07-18-2003, 19:53
Caratunk House rocked! I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. The area just south of Caratunk was one of my favorite parts of the entire AT. The ponds in that area are glorious!

ChicagoRob
02-02-2004, 10:57
Any updates for Caratunk, ME?

Blue Jay
02-02-2004, 11:53
Any updates for Caratunk, ME?

Yes, the Carratunk House continues to be one of the best hostels on the trail or anywhere else.

jollies
02-02-2004, 12:00
I agree 100% with this statement by Blue Jay. I liked the place so much, I want to go back someday and stay there to go Whitewater rafting or something. The guys running it were the best, not to mention the homemade milkshakes and burgers that they make (breakfast was already mentioned, so I wont talk about that anymore!).

A-Train
02-02-2004, 13:43
Took a nearo day in Caraunk due to having a doctors appointment in Bingham, the next town over. Stayed at the Caratunk House B and B. I do like this place. Very cosy. Great Breakfast. Paul, who has hiked the AT and PCT is one of the nicest guys I met on the Trail. However his partner was unfriendly, to the point of rude. He turned away most of the other folks I arrived with who were not sure if they were staying or not. He became friendlier when i said i was staying the night, but still was not nice. I basically had to beg him to drive me the 18 miles to Bingham for my appointment even though I was offering to pay the appropriate shuttle cost. He kept telling me to hitch.
Paul does make some great burgers, and he drove me and two SOBO's to AYCE taco night.
I spent some time at Northern Outdoors, a rafting place. They have great burgers and beers and they were VERY hiker friendly. Let us use the hot tubs and showers and there are tons of games there to play. May be pricey to spend the night.
Steve Longleys place is still there and I heard good things from people who stayed with him.
Caratunk B and B does have enough good food to get you to Monson, just down the road. True this is not a true town, but it does have possibilities for relaxation before the end of your trip.

Skeemer
02-02-2004, 14:33
Thanks A-Train for mentioning the "unfriendly partner" at Caratunk House. I was going to respond with a like comment, but since no one else mentioned it, I thought maybe I was too hard on him. Anybody know why he's got such a chip on his shoulder? I think he hates hikers. :mad:

Paul does really make up for it with his hospitality and cooking. As others have said, one of the best stops on the Trail, :)

mindlessmariachi
02-02-2004, 15:44
i thought caratunk house was great. i cant remember which guy was which, but they were both OK with me. One of them gave me a haircut (though i think he charged me three bucks or so)

A-Train
02-02-2004, 17:43
yeah, i just don't get why anyone would run a hostel if they didn't like hikers or the AT community. Its not the type of business to make tons of money and retire early. Fortunately there are still enough folks who do it for the love of the Trail and its people.

Blue Jay
02-03-2004, 09:14
yeah, i just don't get why anyone would run a hostel if they didn't like hikers or the AT community. Its not the type of business to make tons of money and retire early. Fortunately there are still enough folks who do it for the love of the Trail and its people.

It's not that he dosen't like hikers or the AT community. He just didn't like you. Are you sure that has never happened to you before?

MOWGLI
02-03-2004, 09:29
yeah, i just don't get why anyone would run a hostel if they didn't like hikers or the AT community.

Perhaps a hiker a day or two ahead of you did something monumentally stupid, and then you happened on the scene. It happens. I really like hikers, but I don't know if I could put up with the 1-2% of the knuckleheads out there on a regular basis. A couple of things that I saw hikers do in hostels in 2000 still has me shaking my head (when I think about it).

My experience at the Caratunk B&B was exceptional. Jenson was very pleasant to me, as was Paul.

TJ aka Teej
02-03-2004, 17:03
Any updates for Caratunk, ME?Most importantly - The Caratunk House will be closed for the 2004 season.

And - new shorter window hours at the Post Office. M-F 7:30-11:30, Noon-3:45 and Sat 7:30-11:15. It's window hours, not lobby hours that a hiker needs to pay attention to. The post mistress advises if you want cash back on your debit card you should wait til the afternoon.

Steve Longley's Store is still open, lots of new Thruhikers items, closed Mondays. Tentsites only, no cabins anymore. He has a new job so he can't be there all the time anymore, but helpers like Lionheart keep the beer cold and the pizza hot.
Lots of hikers have been going to the brewpubs up the road at the Rafting places lately. Watch yer wallet - they're tourist priced.

A-Train
02-03-2004, 18:31
It's not that he dosen't like hikers or the AT community. He just didn't like you. Are you sure that has never happened to you before?

These are ridiculous comments. He was rude right off the bat. He was doing work and seemed interupted that we wanted hiker services that were advertised.
He refused to serve hot foods because he didnt feel like cooking and was incredibly rude to me and five other hikers who were considering staying. So no Blue Jay, I don't think it was a personal thing that he didn't like me. He was rude to all 6 hikers and was rude from the start.
And MOWG, although I agree that another thru-hiker could have done something to tick him offf a couple days earlier, it is not OK for him to take it out on other hikers who had nothing to do with it. I know hes a person. I have tough days too. Point is he is running a business. He is responsible and expected to provide the same service to all hikers, unless they act out, which I did not.
He also gave me a hard time when I wanted a shuttle. He kept suggesting I hitch the 18 miles to my doctors appointment. I figured a hostel such as that would gladly accept an opportunity to make some money, especially a long distance shuttle. I practically had to beg him to take me since I wasn't going to take chances with time hitching to a doctor appointment.
I'm not the only one who was mistreated by him, so I'm assuming this is a problem of his. The fact that hes probably a nice guy isn't important. I don't think most hikers ask for much. All I usually request is getting the service I pay for and am promises and to have it without attitude or anger. His "mood" cost him and his very excellent partner lots of money as 5 other hikers headed up to Pleasant Pond for the night because they were so turned off.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2004, 19:09
I'm with A-Train. Me and Gypsy were there in 2000 and the dude was very standoffish, very anti-social. He hardly said a word to anybody.

MOWGLI
02-03-2004, 19:18
He was doing work and seemed interupted that we wanted hiker services that were advertised.

Alot of folks were turned off by Mountain Momas in 2000, because the Thigpen's did not "drop everything" to wait on thru-hikers when they arrived. To me, that was one of the best things about the place. They didn't treat thru-hikers as if they were "special". Hikers were just another customer, and if a hiker arrived when Mrs. Thigpen was in the middle of a hand of cards, the hiker was going to wait. Some hikers didn't like this attitude. I found it refreshing.

If Jenson was "doing work", did you expect him to drop what he was doing and wait on you immediately? I don't ask this sarcastically. Maybe you did interrupt him. Maybe he didn't like your tone or attitude. I don't know, as I wasn't there.

I was 38 when I did my thru-hike, and found the attitude of some (not all) 18-21 year olds to be a bit different from mine. My attitude on the hike was one of gratitude for services, and I never expected anyone to wait on me immediately. I always took the approach of "when you have some time..." . As a result, I was often treated differently than other hikers.

A-Train, I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience in Caratunk. The Cartunk House was one of the best places I stayed in 2000. I have learned in my 42 years, that there is always 2-sides to every story. Whatever the situation, I wouldn't color the Caratunk House as "not hiker friendly".

TJ aka Teej
02-03-2004, 19:31
I'm with A-Train. Me and Gypsy were there in 2000 and the dude was very standoffish, very anti-social. He hardly said a word to anybody.
Interesting. This is in the section I write about for the Companion, and yes - I bring hiker comments up when I talk with service providers.
Any other comments about the Ferry, the Rafting places and restaurants, Longley's, or the P.O.?

TJ aka Teej
02-03-2004, 19:44
there is always 2-sides to every story. Whatever the situation, I wouldn't color the Caratunk House as "not hiker friendly".
Sometimes 3 or 4 sides. Naught for nothing but don't assume if someone was being grumpy/rude it had anything to do with the Trail or with you personally. Service providers have 'real lives' too. Honest.

A-Train
02-03-2004, 20:27
Ok-
I don;t wanna make this post go on any longer unless others have input about Catatunk and their experiences there. That was the original question. Yeah Teej, you could be very well right. Something could have happened in his personal life. Things do happen and he is a person. Though I tend to question when other hikers at different times have had similar complaints.
MOWGL- I'm not denying its a nice place and I'm glad you had a good time. I had a good time myself. I think Paul is probably one of the nicest folks I met on my hike and he provided both encouragement and good conversation over an amazing gourmet breakfast. They offer good services at a cheap price and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there, besides the encounters with Jensen. I almost stayed for a zero, but let the pull of Monson get the best of me!
However to suggest that because I was a younger hiker and that I may have been impatient or demanding is totally off. You were not there MOWGL, so to make that assumption is totally off. I was completely pleasant as were the other hikers I was with. Did I mention that they were mid 30's hikers, not young ones? I went out of my way to be gracetious and over friendly to everyone I met considering the streotype that many younger hikers are falsy pinned with. I met many hikers age 18-21 this yr on the Trail. Never witnessed anyone being ungrateful, demanding or breaking rules.
I don't really wish to debate on this, simply because you were not there so you have no assumption to go under except a false one. I agree that I don't want to be waited on at hostels. I know they have lives and many tasks to do. In fact most time I and others helped out with chores and things that needed to be attended to. Simply we were looking for some information and were treated rudely. Happy Hiking!

Blue Jay
02-04-2004, 09:02
A-Train didn't you also piss off many SOBO's. Don't get me wrong, I clearly piss off a lot of people and it takes one to know one. I have done alot of shuttling over the years when I am not hiking. I have never heard SOBO's mention any NOBO in particular, except you. Again don't get me wrong, I piss off people too, I am just aware that I do it. You thrued and you never witnessed anyone being ungrateful, demanding or breaking rules. Right there, that might tell you that your standards might be slightly rougher than others.

Skeemer
02-04-2004, 09:09
I can understand why BJ didn't have a problem with Jensen...they seem like "two peas from the same pod." His comment about A-Train was mean spirited at best. Ever notice how BJ tries to personally attack everyone else? Maybe he and Jensen should hook up and start their own hostel...then the few disgruntled, miserable, unhappy ******** out there would have some place to go. :mad:

Fact is Jensen was rude to many hikers. It was talked about up and down the trail. It had nothing to do with the individual hikers either...the guy has an attitude.

Paul, the excellent facility and great supply store still make it a great stop.

Blue Jay
02-04-2004, 09:09

He hardly said a word to anyone, the nerve of that guy. He's worse than Warren.

Blue Jay
02-04-2004, 09:11
I can understand why BJ didn't have a problem with Jensen...they seem like "two peas from the same pod." His comment about A-Train was mean spirited at best. Ever notice how BJ tries to personally attack everyone else? Maybe he and Jensen should hook up and start their own hostel...then the few disgruntled, miserable, unhappy ******** out there would have some place to go. :mad:

Fact is Jensen was rude to many hikers. It was talked about up and down the trail. It had nothing to do with the individual hikers either...the guy has an attitude.

Paul, the excellent facility and great supply store still make it a great stop.

Actually Skeemer, reread your own journal. All three of us should open a Hostel. People attacking one of the best places on the Trail is extremely mean spirited to me. You ate in their house and then bad mouth it. Who attacked first?

Skeemer
02-04-2004, 09:29
Just trying to give an objective and honest reply to the thread topic. I think I did praise Paul and made it clear it was still a great stop in spite of one person's rudeness...if that's "mean spirited" maybe we SHOULD go into business together. Sorry, with your reputation I'll leave it up the the other readers to determine my credibility...I think your's is already well established on this site.

A-Train
02-04-2004, 11:22
Blue Jay,
I'd love to hear about SOBO's who mentioned me by name. I'd really love to be aware of how rude I really was since to my knowledge I had very good experiences with SOBO's I met and spent nights with. On here or Private MSG.

Blue Jay
02-04-2004, 12:20
Blue Jay,
I'd love to hear about SOBO's who mentioned me by name. I'd really love to be aware of how rude I really was since to my knowledge I had very good experiences with SOBO's I met and spent nights with. On here or Private MSG.

How about the woman with the dog, who you told "you should be horse whipped". Remember this is coming from someone who has been bitten more than once and who very much does not like to see dogs on the trail. I met them and it is hard to believe they could have offended you that much, but clearly they did. Bottom line is you said you almost spent a zero day at the B&B so clearly was it worth throwing dirt on them for some small slight you were given? Again I am not saying I am not guilty of sometimes being an *******. I just try not to throw dirt on a great place because someone didn't kiss my ass.

A-Train
02-04-2004, 13:29
Blue Jay?
Been drinking or something? Now I know you are clearly full of it. I never said anything of the sort nor have I ever used the term "horse whipped" in my life. There were atleast 2 other NOBO A-Trains on the Trail this year, so i'd get my facts straight before falsy accusing me. I never made any negative comments about hikers with dogs or dogs in general. This is pure BS. You need to do better than that man.
Whats so hard to understand about Caratunk B and B? The building is beautiful, the resupply is decent and well priced and Paul is an amazing host. I just didn't like the other guy. What exactly is the problem here? The thread started about questinons, comments and experiences around Caratunk so I gave my experience. I did not tell anyone not to stay at Caratunk House nor did I say it was a bad place. I don't expect anyone to kiss my butt and i had pretty low standards on hosting. It was simply almost impossible to get a straight answer and information on lodging when a group of us inquired.
Find a hobby besides picking petty fights with people online.

ferryman
05-20-2004, 15:24
I have two reasons to be happy today. One, I live in Maine and two, I start the AT ferry service for the 17th year tomorrow. The first hiker arrived on a section hike from Stratton on May 7 and yesterday, "Turbo" was ferried to finish her hike started in 2003. I must say right now that I am very grateful for having the ferry service job back again. After a year's absence, I now appreciate the opportunity to reach 20 years as the Kennebec River Appalachian Trail ferryman and make more hiker friends by the beautiful, soulful, and spiritual place I call home...the Kennebec River. Well, until the 'big wave' crashes down on me and the river swallows me whole and spits me out into the ocean, a cursing I will go, where lobsters and crabs thrive on my remains, you'll still need to pry the paddle from my hands cause there will be hikers on the riverbank in the morn! Peace, Steve

TJ aka Teej
05-20-2004, 16:47
I have two reasons to be happy today. One, I live in Maine and two, I start the AT ferry service for the 17th year tomorrow.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Steve! :welcome
Congrats on the return to the River!

warren doyle
05-20-2004, 19:03
I concur with TJ (amazing!).
You are a valuable human resource for the trail Steve and you write well.
You keep paddling and I'll keep fording.
Happy trails!

eyahiker
05-20-2004, 19:41
Welcome back ferryman! I hope your day is beautiful, and the river happy to have you on her back:)

Jack Tarlin
05-21-2004, 09:51
Very nice to finally see something positive on the Caratunk thread!! This is great news, Steve, welcome back!

(I should further add that in the countless times I've heard Steve Longley and his place discussed by hikers, I'm yet to hear ONE who had anything bad to say about the moodiness of the proprietor or his friendliness to hikers. There aren't five people in the whole Trail community who care more about hikers, or who have helped more hikers, than Steve Longley, and his hospitality is legendary).

That Steve is back working the Kennebec is great news, and I hope this year's hikers---and next year's, too---get to meet him, ride with him, and enjoy his company.

pdhoffman
05-21-2004, 17:55
Caratunk House is closed for this year. Paul "One Braid" Fuller, the propriator/hiker/all_around_good_guy, is hiking the PCT this year. He talked about doing so last year, when I stayed there and then I talked to him at the PCT Kick-off at Lake Morena last month as he started.

For an excellent discription of the services at Caratunk House, check out Aloha Ann's AT03 journal for 8/28 and 8/29 at trailjournals.com.

The other fellow at Caratunk House, Jenson, does not seem to be very involved in the operation. He does have a prickly personality. He is not being discriminatory. From my observation, he is sharp with everyone.

Welcome, back Ferryman. You should try for 40 years, not just 20.

Very sorry to hear about the death of Del Doc. Was it sudden, or was he ill? Met him once on the trail and know instantly who he was. Hope that someone is going to finish the GPS project he started.

Pete Hoffman
"Old Corpus"

ferryman
05-24-2004, 17:57
Over all the years running rivers here in Maine, there are two words that stop me dead in my tracks and put my anxiety level through the roof. One is leg-entrapment and the other, a weather report calling for thunder. As a confirmed river rat, the steady rain falling was not a concern this cold damp morning, but the weather forecast calling for "thunderbursts" with hail weighed heavily on my thought process. Upon arriving at the ferry serivce and being greeted by the regular cast of creatures that reside there, I couldn't help but notice that the oak trees all around me seemed signicficantly taller than they used to be. It was then that I wished I had bought that inflatable thermo-rest to set on while under my canoe in case I heard an approaching thunderstorm. Now, We all have wonderful stories about thunder storms and near misses, myself included, but there was no one else around this morning to stomp on my ticker for a restart. It's truly wonderful in the forests of Maine this time of year with the various tones of green foliage, emerging canopies above and delicate seedlings sprouting from the earth below. I added my own color this morning, draping a big yellow ribbon around an oak tree to remind me and the others who enjoy the great outdoors that there are those who remain in harm's way. I also recognized the locals from their gleeful songs across the river including: kingfishers, pippins, merganzers, red polls and one sea gull who seems content doing circular acrobatics in front of me. Yes, I am a bird lover thru and thru. Towards the end of the shift, I scanned the riverbanks and shoreland noticing an object that appeared to be a rock. Now, I have spent alot of time looking across that river the last few years and like most hikers, have a image etched in their mind from their favorite perch. The tremendous ice jams at Caratunk and The Forks recarve the crossing every year and new landscapes are formed. The "rock" started to move and a lone deer appeared. I stood motionless for quite a few minutes and the deer continued feeding on the opposite bank about 120 yards away. As soon as I reached for my binoculars, I was spotted and we started a lookdown for the next 30 minutes. I backed off slowly, admiring the beauty of both the surroundings and that wild animal, put the canoe away and headed back to duties at base camp. I am already excited about going to work tomorrow. Yours from the riverbank, Steve Longley

Mountain Dew
05-24-2004, 22:02
Warren.....have you ever taken the Ferry on a thru-hike ?

A-Train and Skeemer - I feel your frustration with Blue Jay. Blue Jay - "Again I am not saying I am not guilty of sometimes being an *******" . Sometimes ? Funny ! He speaks with half truths and seems to have the reading comprehension skills of an elementary school kid at best. Why does he always try to pull people into his unhappy world ? A-train/ Lone Wolf....how dare you speak honestly about your experience...! Next time check with Blue Jay to see if your opinions are ok with him before posting them. Note to Bluejay.....others have opinions so get use to it or turn off the computer.....oh and if you can't comprehend what people say in posts then ask for help before showing off the bad case of Giardia of the mouth you seem to have developed. Rick the Lone Wolf always wondered how he ALWAYS got shelters alone last year on his thru-hike, but could never figure it out. Blue Jay.....ever have that sort of problem ? Classic !!!

Blue Jay
05-25-2004, 10:28
Beautiful post Ferryman. You transported me right to the river bank. Thank you.

Mountain Dew
05-26-2004, 01:15
I'm mad at Steve for not being there in 2003 ! ;) The one year i decide to thru-hike and Steve isn't there. That's like Miss Janet closing the year I try to hike. Will you still be there in 2030 when i thru-hike after my retirement ?

coach lou
06-20-2012, 19:10
What does one do when they get to the Kennebec? Is there a ferry of some type, today?

SouthMark
06-20-2012, 19:24
What does one do when they get to the Kennebec? Is there a ferry of some type, today?

The ferry runs daily. David Corrigan is the operator now. It started running this season on May 25. 9-11 am thru July 12 and 2-4 thru Sept 30.

coach lou
06-20-2012, 19:30
The ferry runs daily. David Corrigan is the operator now. It started running this season on May 25. 9-11 am thru July 12 and 2-4 thru Sept 30.

Thank You. Is there a customary gratuity?

Migrating Bird
06-20-2012, 19:35
I stayed at Northern Outdoors in a cabin tent for $5 in 2009. I don't know which was better, the unlimited hot showers or the food, both were great.
They shuttled us back to the AT in the morning at no charge.

TJ aka Teej
06-20-2012, 19:37
Thank You. Is there a customary gratuity?
No fee or tip, the canoe ferry is a contracted service.

coach lou
06-20-2012, 19:40
I think I'm confused on the hours of operation. After 12 July, is it both AM and PM service?

TJ aka Teej
06-20-2012, 19:42
After 12 July, is it both AM and PM service?
Ayup, 9-11, and 2-4.

coach lou
06-20-2012, 19:45
Ayup, 9-11, and 2-4.

Thank You.

SouthMark
06-20-2012, 20:35
I stayed at Northern Outdoors in a cabin tent for $5 in 2009. I don't know which was better, the unlimited hot showers or the food, both were great.
They shuttled us back to the AT in the morning at no charge.

+1 on Northern Outdoors. Great restaurant and brew pub. Very hiker friendly.

coach lou
06-20-2012, 21:04
I had good trip down the Penobscot with Northern Outdoors many moons ago. We stayed in Millinocket, The Atrium, I think the name was. Only time I've ever seen Mt Katadin. At lunch it rained , but they put on a feast. It was a good time.