PDA

View Full Version : cheap yerba mate

rowan
01-18-2012, 12:23
Hi folks,

I've been a big yerba mate drinker long before I realized how beneficial it is as a back country supplement for all kinds of nutrients. Just wanted to share the link of where I've always bought my unsmoked yerba. Around $30 for 5 lbs! I run through about 10 lbs a year, as an every day drinker (and lots of sharing), so this bulk price really saves my life. I would also highly recommend the gourd/straw combo. No need for tea bags, filters, presses, etc. Just shove the straw in the gourd and sip!

Here is the link: www.ecoteas.com

The company is based in Ashland, OR, and seems to do a good job being low-impact (if not positive impact) for the Argentinian province of Misiones where the yerba is grown. Check out the "about ecoteas" link for more.

Cheers!

ezNomad
01-18-2012, 17:56
I like Yerba Mate too, but I have not tried that company. Just saying, you can get yerba mate for less $ than that. Of course one could quibble about the quality differences (organic/non-organic). I get Cruz de Malta which is a popular Argentine brand for about $3/lb from the local Hispanic market, and I've seen it even less in bulk online (like $15 for 6lbs).

CornerCreek27
01-19-2012, 13:07
nice site man, ive been a drink for quite some time as well, im planning on bringing the mate and bombilla for my thru. Would you reccomend a bamboo or stanless steel bombilla, in terms of working well for the whole thru

rowan
01-21-2012, 19:23
I would definitely recomend the stainless. It is still a lightweight solution, but way more durable/easy to clean. Boil some water, drop it in, and you're good to go! It has a spring that comrpesses over small holes to allow the water through, but no leaf. I've been using mine for a year now, and while thats not a year on the trail - it has held up really well. Will be bringing mine along too.

I am even thinking of sewing a gourd sleeve somewhere into my pack if I can't find another safe spot to hold it to avoid cracking. Nothing like a freshly brewed yerba in the morning, fresh out the gourd.

Cheers!

and I am sure there are better deals out there - I have just had excellent service and product through ecoteas. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I'm also impressed by their commitment to helping local farmers be self sufficient, spread an indigenous product, and integrate WITH not AGAINST the land.

erichkopp
03-06-2012, 15:26
Have you tried mate frio/terer้? I never knew you could brew it cold until the other day, and it's really refreshing! I add just a small drop of lemon juice for some extra flavor. I'd be worried bringing a gourd on the trail with me but brewing it cold, I've been making it in a small single-wall Snow Peak cup.

From everything I've read, it seems like most mate is grown fairly organically whether it's certified or not. I usually get mine for $2 for a half kilo at the local market.

YiTiRo
03-19-2012, 02:25
I like yerba!