PDA

View Full Version : How many WhiteBlaze members does it take?

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2005, 14:46
Q: How many WhiteBlaze members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue, then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another

6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term
is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light
bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please
take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light
bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to
this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including
all headers and signatures, just to add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they
cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
start it all over again

(stolen from a recent post on the at-l):banana

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2005, 14:50
Most hikers today don't use light bulbs but LEDs.. ;)

The Cheat
03-15-2005, 15:00
Most hikers today don't use light bulbs but LEDs.. ;)
So, they would post that light bulbs are too heavy and how they converted to LED's.:)

1 hiker to post a method to make a light bulb out of old pepsi cans. :D

JP
03-15-2005, 15:05
Would they be ultra light bulbs ?

papa john
03-15-2005, 15:07

changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue, then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another

6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term
is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light
bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please
take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light
bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to
this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including
all headers and signatures, just to add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they
cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
about light bulbs"

start it all over again

(stolen from a recent post on the at-l):banana
ROFLMAO!!!

2XL
03-15-2005, 15:14
By far the funniest post I have read on Whiteblaze.

1 post giving it a :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana review

Dances with Mice
03-15-2005, 15:15

changed <snip> 2 to post links to snopes.com to show that most light bulb stories are just urban legends.

steve hiker
03-15-2005, 15:32
3 to decide if you're changing the bulb in a politically "correct" manner.

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2005, 15:38
another hiker would mention that you don't need a light on the trail and that using a light ruins your night vision.

bulldog49
03-15-2005, 15:39
4 to tell you an alchol stove will give more light than the bulb.

The Old Fhart
03-15-2005, 15:52
bulldog49-"4 to tell you an alchol stove will give more light than the bulb."1 to tell you that your reply belongs in the "how to get SGT Rock to ban you from WB" thread. :D

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2005, 15:59
actually rock would compare light output of different stove designs, and then compare weight of stove, amount of fuel used, and copyright information.

also would start theorizing on designing and building light-weight aluminum reflector to increase light output of alcohol stove

The Old Fhart
03-15-2005, 16:04
SGT Rock, Hope you don't mind if we make "light" of your stoves. :D

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2005, 16:08
well it is a "heavy" subject with him

SGT Rock
03-15-2005, 16:14
I don't mind at all. I have a sense of humor about myself :D

It is best not to take most things too seriously. :jump:

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2005, 16:23
1 old buck from Maine to tell you that he knew Edison, that thanks to a newspaper story he wrote in the 70s we still have lightbubs, that thanks to that story you don't have to use your computer by candlelight, and so if you want to have lightbulbs in the future you should donate to the Maine Appalachian Trail Lightbulb Trust at www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org) :wink

TDale
03-15-2005, 16:31
5 to tell about how they were banned from another site for disagreeing with the site owner over how to change light bulbs.

MOWGLI
03-15-2005, 16:35
1 old buck from Maine to tell you that he knew Edison,...

At first I was leery but now I am weary. Stop picking on Weary.

The Cheat
03-15-2005, 16:41
1 to say he used a platinum filament in his lightbulb.

10 to say "platinum is death" and suggest he use a synthetic next time.

1 to say his mother used to knit him tantalum filaments all the time.

47 to say they love tantalum.

1 to say tantalum makes him itch.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2005, 17:00
Q: How many Whiteblazers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: At least a dozen and frequently more: One to tell you than a candle weighs a quarter ounce less than a light bulb; one to tell you that back in the day real hikers didn't need light bulbs; one to tell you that he knows three ways to cook and eat a light bulb; one to tell you that if you don't lose at least 3 lightbulbs you have zero chance of getting to Maine; one to tell you where to get light bulbs cheap On-Line; one to tell you which hiker guidebook you must consult before changing the lightbulb; one to tell you where the best place is to maildrop yourself a lightbulb; one to tell you why maildropping lightbulbs is a waste of time and money; one to tell you that if you read with a lightbulb, you can only read over-rated Edward Abbey novels; one to tell you that light bulbs are environmentally threatening and will cause urban sprawl and you hate the Trail if you carry lightbulbs; one to tell you how you can cheaply make your own lightbulbs at home out of an Alpo can; one to tell you which flavor of Alpo has the most tasty calories before you turn the can into a lightbulb; one to tell you to keep the lightbulb but send the damned dog home and he'll take the Alpo if you're done using it; one to tell you that Wingfoot's use of lightbulbs on his thru-hikes was greatly exaggerated; one to tell you about the one hundred and thirty-two places on or near the Trail where you can buy lightbulbs; one to tell you the BTU's produced, and precise burn time of your lightbulb; one to offer you a Snickers, a Slim Jim, and a jar of rancid Nutella for your lightbulb; one to tell you that you should only cary red light bulbs cuz it'll help get you visitors at night; one to tell you why lightbulbs cause butt chafe; one to tell you that iodine has no affect on lightbulbs; one to tell you that North Face lightbulbs suck and you're just paying for the logo; one to instruct you on how to make a lightbulb out of duct tape, and one to lend you a phone card so you can call home and ask for money to buy a new lightbulb.

Oh, maybe there's a few more: There's always a Southbounder who'll instruct you on how to install your light bulb, but he'll insist on telling you to turn it in the wrong direction, and there's always some crusty old-timer who doesn't wanna hear your opinion since he's changed lightbulbs eight or nine times already and could care less about what you think.

Oh, and I hear there's a great hostel in Erwin that sells lightbulbs. Only problem is they're ninety bucks apiece there. Personally, I'd wait til Damascus....

Youngblood
03-15-2005, 17:09
And it depends on if you are talking about the white light bulbs or the blue light bulbs or the yellow light bulbs or the red light bulbs... its going to look like a friggin airport runway out there when they get them all installed.

Youngblood

Roland
03-15-2005, 17:15
In his vision of the AT, did Benton Mackaye intend that lightbulbs to be used on the Trail?

That ought to wake a few sleeping dogs! :bse

NICKTHEGREEK
03-15-2005, 17:39
That's my laugh for today, Thanks Much:jump

Doctari
03-15-2005, 17:53
ROTFLMAO, till tears flowed.

So true, so true.

Personally, I use candles made from my own ear wax, a renewable resourse dontchaknow :bse

Don't need no stinkin lightbulbs :D

Doctari.

BTW: If you plant light bulbs, do they grow glow in the dark Tuliips?!?

art to linda
03-15-2005, 18:14
Love it LOL !!!!
3 asking how to attatch their light bulb to their Lekies/ pack
and one wanting to know if it's safe to use a light bulb during a thunder storm ;)

Youngblood
03-15-2005, 18:16
...BTW: If you plant light bulbs, do they grow glow in the dark Tuliips?!?Another question along the same line: If you plant light bulbs do the glow in the dark?

VAMTNHIKER
03-15-2005, 18:17
this thread was what I needed today!!! :D

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2005, 18:19
2 argruing that changing Light bulbs violates LNT principals esp changing your light bulbs in front of others in shelters disturbs thier wilderness experience. if you re going to carry and change light bulbs then do it discretely

Happypappy
03-15-2005, 18:31
You guys just cracked me up today, thanks for a bunch of laughs.

Ted

Bonehead
03-15-2005, 19:09
Looks like y'all'd be better off using boneheads to install that light bulb.

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2005, 19:13
1 to say that just knowing that you change lightbulbs on the trail disturbs their wilderness experience wether they see the light bulbs or not.

2 to come and say U should change lightbulbs only if it is in an emergency.

Caleb
03-15-2005, 19:34
1 old buck from Maine to tell you that he knew Edison, that thanks to a newspaper story he wrote in the 70s we still have lightbubs, that thanks to that story you don't have to use your computer by candlelight, and so if you want to have lightbulbs in the future you should donate to the Maine Appalachian Trail Lightbulb Trust at www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org) :wink
you know what, I'm going to honor you and Weary both: to you, I'll acknowledge your post constituted one of the sharpest and funniest streams of elecrons ever to scream past my eyeballs. for Weary, i'm going to donate to the MATLT, finally.

C

alanthealan
03-15-2005, 20:27
I was thinking about buying a lightbulb. Which one do you think is best. Will I be able to find fule for it on the trail. Can lamps be shipped in the mail. Which town would be best to maildrop a light bulb. Is there a list of towns that have lightbulbs. I hear trail towns inflate the price of lightbulbs to rip off hikers. I posted a thread about light bulbs on that other site but WF booted me.

Thanks to everyone here at WB. Without you I couldn't have changed my bulb.

orangebug
03-15-2005, 22:30
You really don't need lightbulbs at all. You simply need to use alcohol gel and avoid sharing food with others. The light that nature provides is safe enough.

lbbrown
03-15-2005, 22:39
Is a brighter light bulb "lighter" ?:sun

Kozmic Zian
03-15-2005, 22:55
Yea......Lights! One of my pet peaves is a light bulb in the woods. Some 'City Campers' do that when they set out their 'group tents' in campgrounds. Or worse, point the damn flashlight in your eyes, instantly coping your 'nite eyes'. Light Bulb, what Light Bulb......please, no lightbulbs in the woods. KZ@:o

One Leg
03-15-2005, 23:09
74 to tell you to "CYOB" (Change your own bulb)

65 to say "CYOB as long as you turn the bulb 4.8 turns"

13 to say "Who cares? As long as he doesn't infringe upon MY right to CYOB the way I see fit"

40 to say "As long as he doesn't apply to the LBC (Light Bulb Conference/Conservancy) seeking recognition that he changed his bulb when he really didn't"

1 1st Sgt to say "I don't like the present light bulbs offered to other light bulb users. Therefore, I've created the lightest light bulb on the market, and I call it the "ION Bulb"

1 to say "I've changed this light bulb 8 times before, and I know each turn, twist, and screw better than anyone"

1,999 to say "Well, I tried to get advice at LightBulbChangingPlace.Com, but but Light Foot banned me from his site" (then proceed to come up with a list of 12 ways to get Light Foot to ban you from his light bulb changing place)

Whistler
09-12-2005, 13:42
Time for a new addition, folks:

19 members to tell you to forget about the light bulb and buy a hammock....

-Mark

digger51
09-12-2005, 20:03
Come on guys, cant we just agree we dont need lightbulbs cause someone will leave it on in the shelter all night so he can finish the paperback book so he can leave it there in the morning?

peter_pan
09-12-2005, 20:42
Leaving the light on all night is not so bad...running the noisy generator all night is the pain....or....Are you talking about the shelter that they ran the 3,000 yard of orange power cords too?

Yea I know...

... 3 to suggest you carry ear plugs
... 2 ultralighters to claimthey are too heavy
... 1 old timer to brag on the use of wads of TP
... 7 thru hikers to remind the old timer that shelter mice love TP

... 23 hammock hangers exclaiming they don't stay near shelters because the snoring always sounded like a generator...

Pan :datz

gumby
09-12-2005, 20:43
You all forgot the most important one.
The Psychologist that will charge $100 for a 50 minute hour 3 times per week for the duration of the thru-hike to make sure that the lightbulb REALLY wants to change.

Cheers :-)

TJ aka Teej
09-12-2005, 21:50
start it all over again

Mark, dude - you're three months late! :D

Smile
09-12-2005, 22:30
Does the hiker have enough money to spend on the light bulb in the first place after buying all that gear????????

dje97001
09-12-2005, 22:32
...and 1 to say, wasn't it Nicola Tesla and not Edison that invented the light bulb?

gumby
09-12-2005, 22:38
Mark, dude - you're three months late! :D
I saw the one about the lurker but in my defense I've only been on this site about 2 weeks and someone opened up this can of worms not me. I just added a bit more fuel to it.

And I thought that I'd have a bit of fun to see if anyone mentioned about your last point aboout a lurker posting six months late.:jump

l8r

Skyline
09-12-2005, 22:47
One to post that if you use a hammock you don't need no stinkin' light bulbs.

frieden
09-13-2005, 10:02
That was funny ... and scary, because it's true.

Jester2000
09-13-2005, 20:58
I saw the one about the lurker but in my defense I've only been on this site about 2 weeks and someone opened up this can of worms not me. I just added a bit more fuel to it.

And I thought that I'd have a bit of fun to see if anyone mentioned about your last point aboout a lurker posting six months late.:jump

l8r

Me too.. . .. . .

Jester2000
09-13-2005, 21:03
1 person to say that had you been packin' a sidearm, you could've made someone else change the bulb

8 to tell the story about the time Baltimore jack changed a bulb at the Doyle

3 to say that you really shouldn't drink while you're changing bulbs

1 to tell the previous posters that drinking is legal, while THEY condone (illegally) jumping off cliffs with lightbulbs

Saluki Dave
09-13-2005, 21:05
At least one poster to complain how he got booted by Wingy for bringing fluorescent or God forbid halogen into the discussion.

foodbag
09-14-2005, 21:07
I don't want anybody telling me how to use my bulb, and I won't tell anybody how to use theirs. HWYOB (hike with your own bulb).

Oh, and 6 registered Democrats to say how Pres. Bush is a really dim bulb ;)

saimyoji
09-14-2005, 21:15
Don't hikers all use LEDs lamps that never need replacing? I know I do. :bse