PDA

View Full Version : Just a cool short story...

88BlueGT
01-18-2012, 15:49
So, I have been off the forums for a while but I felt the need to come back to share my experience over the weekend. A good friend of mine invited me to Vermont to go boarding for his birthday with a bunch of other local people from NJ. So we went and had the time of our lives. On the last day, all twelve of us met at 'the peak' of Killington. A good friend who lives in MA (and is very familiar with the mountain) asked us if we wanted to take a side trail. We all said yes or coarse. We board down 500-600 feet and he stops and breaks off into a 2-3ft wide trail leading directly into the woods off trail. I was pretty nervous about hitting this trail as I am not that great of a boarder but we all follow. After ten minutes or so we come to a shelter.... and what do I see? A WHITE BLAZE!! We took a side trail to Coopers Shelter! The shelter seemed to be abandoned but it was still pretty awesome. No one of friends know anything about the AT so I got a chance to drop some knowledge about the trail, shelters, trail ethics, etc. We didnt stay too long as it was in the negatives and the windows were blown out in the shelter, it seemed to be more of an icebox than a place to relax lol regardless, great experience on the AT when I least expected it.

I'm sure there are others here who have rode this trail to the shelter, if so, share your story!

It was a crazy, adventurous weekend and hitting the shelter was probably the best part of my trip!

bamboo bob
01-18-2012, 16:05
Coopers Lodge always looks abandoned and the windows are permanently "blown out". Even in summer it is definitely one of the most derelict of shelters and they built Churchill to augment but maybe replace Coopers Lodge. It's definitely old school. I bet flies were not a problem.

88BlueGT
01-18-2012, 16:12
No not at all! LOL

I think it was more of a 'smoking hut' than a shelter. We were only there for about 20-30 minutes and during that time two different groups of people walked into the shelter to smoke.

mirabela
01-18-2012, 18:26
Yeah ... that place has suffered for years from the depredations of gapers from the ski area doing tricks off the roof, kicking out the windows, burning anything made of wood, and so on. It's unfortunate. It used to be a nice place.

nitewalker
01-18-2012, 18:51
i found this vid with a quick search. now i remember the many side trips to coopers lodge back when i used to ski. i only get out on the slopes one or two times a season these days.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mVgSxdPUDgAWzRXNyoA/SIG=120qe8tbd/EXP=1326955488/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=rqI6r7A-uh4