PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam to Damascus, VA

fatmatt
03-15-2005, 15:28
About how long does it take to hike this section of the trail for most people? I'd like to know what kind of time frame I am looking at here. Thanks!

chris
03-15-2005, 16:19
This depends, a lot, on the hiker. However, 7 days across the Smokys, 3 days to Hot Springs, 4 days to Erwin, and 6 days to Damascus isn't unreasonable. However, I had some thruhikers in the Smokys tell me that 10 days from Fontana to Hot Springs was insane.

max patch
03-15-2005, 16:30
About how long does it take to hike this section of the trail for most people? I'd like to know what kind of time frame I am looking at here. Thanks!

24 days on my thru:

20 hiking days
2 zero days
2 nero days (less than 3 miles) after resupply

max patch
03-15-2005, 16:38
However, I had some thruhikers in the Smokys tell me that 10 days from Fontana to Hot Springs was insane.

The first 20 mile day of my hike was going into Hot Springs. I did this section in 9 days and don't consider myself to be a fast hiker much less insane. Maybe hikers are spending a lot more time in G'Burg than when I went thru.

The Old Fhart
03-15-2005, 17:04
Fatmatt, Looking at your journal on the trip you did from Unicoi north, you were averaging about 10 miles per day. If this is the pace you are comfortable with then it would take about 30 days to do the 300 miles from Fontana to Damascus. I suspect that after the first week your pace will pick up so it is possible to do it in less. From what I’ve read I believe Chris is a faster hiker so his estimate of 20 days is probably too low. I’m a fairly slow hiker and did it in about 24 days.

I would plan on closer to 30 and then you won’t feel rushed. If you finish ahead of schedule you’ll feel good about it. You’ll enjoy the trip a lot more if you don’t always have a tight schedule to live up to. Planning on longer give you the option of taking a day off in Hot Springs and in Erwin if you want to take a break, or if you run into some bad weather. Good luck on your hike.

Peaks
03-15-2005, 17:27
Fontana to Damascus is about 290 miles. For the typical thru-hiker, that's about 3 weeks.

chris
03-15-2005, 18:26
The first 20 mile day of my hike was going into Hot Springs. I did this section in 9 days and don't consider myself to be a fast hiker much less insane. Maybe hikers are spending a lot more time in G'Burg than when I went thru.

I thought I was being conservative when I told them this, as it took me about 5.5 days in 2002, and I didn't think I was pushing it very much. They were young, thought they were strong, and hauling about 50 lbs each.

The Solemates
03-15-2005, 19:49
Took us 6 days to go from Fontana to Hot Springs, which included 3 foot snow drifts with an 8-10 inch base in the Smokies. We also took a half-day off at Standing Bear Farm (ie, we got there around 2pm and spent that night, having most of the afternoon free. but it did get dark around 430pm though, so it really wasnt a half day i guess). anyways...

Took us 21 days to go from Fontana to Damascus, which included a zero day in Hot Springs. So, 20 hiking days. Hot Springs was our first zero since Springer.