PDA

View Full Version : Solar revisited - reply to PM...Woo

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2012, 09:48
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by darkage
Hi wise old owl,

I've heard from several sources you're the person i should talk to about my upcoming thru and the choice to use the goal zero nomad adventure 10 ... I'm looking to keep my batteries charged in my headlamp and camara and keep my phone around 50%+ ... I don't use it hiking often at all, in fact its off all day untill i need to find a place of buisness or check in with the wife ... I'm thinking if i got 25% charge every few days, i'd be happy ... i had planed on setting it out while i eat lunch, rest at overlooks or naps in fields ... i wanna stay off grid so i can hike and enjoy nature more, but still plan on donating to hostels for shower's and washing clothes ... but overnight kept to a minimum ... its just the way i wanna do my hike ... my exceptions are low, i hear 2-3 hours full charge 4 AA and i can charge my iPhone twice off that, then my headlamp lasts about 2 weeks on a set of 3 AAA ... so i'll beable to charge another set and have those ready when the others die ... I'm just looking for your opinion and maybe you can help me out before i purchase the unit in the next few weeks ... thanks! darkage, fights with rainwater.

The reasoning behind why folk sent you to me is due to my playing with second generation thin film solar cells - and a deep background in electronics. Actually your expectations are high - and we have had many posts on the subject over the years on Whiteblaze. I choose to build my own circuits and figured out I am spending more in the long run than an outright purchase. In preparing this answer for your post I discovered there are a lot of 1st generation Chinese knockoffs out there that appear cheap and frequently fry after a few months because they are not diode protected. The battery pumps energy back into the cell when the sun is not directly on the panel - shortening the life of the panel.

My current working theory is that the larger sized panels put on a backpack that are second generation will capture enough ambient sunlight to change anything during the course of a 12 hour day regardless of the "green mile therory of naysayers" I have tested this to death at home with cloudy days and sunsets and its sound. Keep in mind that the more items that you want to charge that they really need to be done one at a time. Charge the phone one day and the Mp3 or headlamp the next... This is not so awkward as it sounds, the rechargeable lithium batteries have dramatically improved over the years. The headlamps have reduced to sipping electricity instead of gulping like a flashlight.

The Phone
As for the tech look at the charge times on what you want to do... if it says the phone battery can charge in 4-6 hours make it 8 -10 and realize that your expected talk time will be divided in half. I would rather see you move the phone to being connected all day then charge a external battery then slip charge the phone. The battery in the phone should be replaced every year with a new certified brand battery, a two year old battery in a phone has a defined age problem from everyday use. Most iPhones will hold the charge 2 days. That's old school but reduces the losses involved.

The Headlamp
I firmly believe that you won't have any problems with the headlamp.

The Camera - I have played with this for two years and somehow came up with the wrong answer for a while. The larger heavier digital from three years ago with high performance AA batteries - eats batteries for lunch. You have to ask yourself if you are a light user or a heavy one.... Sure you might get 100 photos over a month or two and that's why you do not need rechargeable in the camera. Use E2 Lithium instead.

I just got a Nikon Cool Pix 10x wide zoom 16 mpix s6200 Model NICPS6200R and charged it Christmas night - I have taken lots of photos and a video and its still on the first charge, its smaller - lighter - pocket to hand friendly and left it in the car on a single digit cold night. - works great... With that power packed battery that was included - there is no doubt that this is a better way to go I can charge it on the trail - but won't need too.

Peace

Woo.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2012, 10:42
Here is a quality made light weight reliable solar flashlight

http://store.solargoose.com/adventureflashlightwithcompass.aspx

http://www.solargoose.com/images/498_S044-in-use.jpg

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2012, 10:46
This is the panel I snapped together Kyocera charger I have since added a voltage regulator/charge to improve performance for the smart phone.

14940 The new charger installed notice the computer cable jack at the bottom and a little led to say there's enough light.

tuswm
01-19-2012, 13:44
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1241195]

I choose to build my own circuits and figured out I am spending more in the long run than an outright purchase.

Woo.[/QUOTE

SO what would you recommend? I have a folding solar panel that charges only AA. it has a USB port but ill not even trickle charge an Iphone.

BJStuart
01-19-2012, 17:26
The OP mentioned the goal zero nomad adventure 10 - I saw it recently at REI & it looks nice. Solar panels charging a pack of 4 AAs, which can then charge your stuff. The pack is like a regular charger, so you can also charge AAAs, and you could obviously have multiple sets of batteries which could be charged when you have power. Don't know that I'd want to carry it all, but it looks like a well thought out system & would be ideal for adventure travel type situations.

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2012, 22:54
Yea I am on board - building your own has a different drawback.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 14:25
SO what would you recommend? I have a folding solar panel that charges only AA. it has a USB port but ill not even trickle charge an Iphone.

Nomad 10 Plus - is an upgrade with a 2.5 watt charge

http://www.rei.com/product/827121/goal-zero-guide-10-plus-adventure-kit-solar-charger

Let me be clear - do not charge the batteries - then charge the phone from the battery - use a direct link - I do not own this unit - but the specs are better than what I am playing around with......

Chubbs4U
02-12-2012, 15:24
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=368643259829938
Not sure if you guys can see this. Interesting and getting better.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 15:57
Yea I can - I have a bypass on the facebook website as a cookie...

I read for several years about green tubes and won't work etc... and you and I both know a very cloudy day still will keep a smart phone from discharging.... Yesterday was just as cloudy and intermittent rain here prior to the snow and I was charging my Aptiva but it would not charge the Blackberry - even a small charge will keep a phone from draining... so it works.... oh on a final note my homemade unit has a little led that tells me the panel performance - but one really has to look at the charge symbol on the phone!

darkage
02-13-2012, 03:22
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=368643259829938
Not sure if you guys can see this. Interesting and getting better.

I clicked on the link, and was like doh .. thats my video ... LOL

Chubbs4U
02-13-2012, 11:24
I clicked on the link, and was like doh .. thats my video ... LOL
Hey darkage,
I wasnt trying to "steal" anything here, which Im sure you know. Just passing info along.

darkage
02-13-2012, 14:27
Hey darkage,
I wasnt trying to "steal" anything here, which Im sure you know. Just passing info along.

Its set to public for people to see, i got no problem with spreading links around .... =)

Bucho
02-17-2012, 17:43
I looked into solar again last year but with the weight of the zero nomad adventure 10 it was still lighter, cheaper and easier to get a 15 min AA charger and recharge while having a big mac.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 10:01
Ok I went and bought The Goal Zero Nomad Plus

The Panel stores at a higher watt rate to 4 high end batteries in a small package with other inputs and outputs. Unfortunately my Android phone only needs charging every two and a half days so this has been slow process. We just got away from several days of rain... The claim of charging in direct sunlight in an hour for an Android is true. Direct from the panel to the phone... The Battery pack is slower and the claim that it can carry three charges to Android has not been complete. I did do one slow charge - Its plausible.

I Also have a company Blackberry. - Here is where the system falls down. I have had trouble with two different Blackberry's 1 one take a charge from the battery pack and at .5 watts wont charge from the panel...all recent phones have a lot of incoming power sensing, analizing & notification while turned on. Some phones have a App for it. Even as you juice them if the incoming power goes down (Direct from Panel) You get a warning. If the Battery Pack is on its second output charge the Blackberry won't accept. So it appears that shutting off the phone is sometimes necessary during the charge.

On the Android - it happened once where I took it below 30% on the internal battery. - Connected it to the Panel on a cloudy day and the phone had a heart attack of notifications to disconnect. - Some how it triggered the phone to refresh the battery - the phone appeared to discharge the battery and shut down, later it accepted the charge from the battery pack and came back up over night. I still do not fully understand what happened that day....

Best test ever

Yesterday I took the panel out after the storm and jammed a light into the output, it only lights at 5 volts. The Light remains on regardless of how the panel is pointed both direct and indirect. It can remain on when the panel is rotated 180 out. So when hiking its still pushing power when on the backpack, Just not as much. In fact it appears I won't need to have it on the pack at all if it works in one hour!

darkage
03-04-2012, 21:23
Ok I went and bought The Goal Zero Nomad Plus

The Panel stores at a higher watt rate to 4 high end batteries in a small package with other inputs and outputs. Unfortunately my Android phone only needs charging every two and a half days so this has been slow process. We just got away from several days of rain... The claim of charging in direct sunlight in an hour for an Android is true. Direct from the panel to the phone... The Battery pack is slower and the claim that it can carry three charges to Android has not been complete. I did do one slow charge - Its plausible.

I Also have a company Blackberry. - Here is where the system falls down. I have had trouble with two different Blackberry's 1 one take a charge from the battery pack and at .5 watts wont charge from the panel...all recent phones have a lot of incoming power sensing, analizing & notification while turned on. Some phones have a App for it. Even as you juice them if the incoming power goes down (Direct from Panel) You get a warning. If the Battery Pack is on its second output charge the Blackberry won't accept. So it appears that shutting off the phone is sometimes necessary during the charge.

On the Android - it happened once where I took it below 30% on the internal battery. - Connected it to the Panel on a cloudy day and the phone had a heart attack of notifications to disconnect. - Some how it triggered the phone to refresh the battery - the phone appeared to discharge the battery and shut down, later it accepted the charge from the battery pack and came back up over night. I still do not fully understand what happened that day....

Best test ever

Yesterday I took the panel out after the storm and jammed a light into the output, it only lights at 5 volts. The Light remains on regardless of how the panel is pointed both direct and indirect. It can remain on when the panel is rotated 180 out. So when hiking its still pushing power when on the backpack, Just not as much. In fact it appears I won't need to have it on the pack at all if it works in one hour!

Had crap weather for the last 4 days on our last gear shakedown before we start our thru hike this month ... had enough sun today during a lunch break for 40% on an iphone 4s and i've been able to keep my phone charged for up to 8 days with the battery pack ... that's without sun and location checks of "around me" and gps location updates and a phone call here and there ... i've been more than impressed with the goal zero unit, it does what they claim 100% ... tried and tested over the last month.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 23:20
Oh wow you are a neighbor.... where did you do the shake down?

hunter121
03-04-2012, 23:38
Very very cool, and thanks for the lesson! I love your unique ink!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

darkage
03-05-2012, 23:57
Wind gap to 309 - damnyankee and myself leave march 15th ... start the 20th.

Oh wow you are a neighbor.... where did you do the shake down?

Spokes
03-06-2012, 10:26
Nomad 10 Plus - is an upgrade with a 2.5 watt charge

http://www.rei.com/product/827121/goal-zero-guide-10-plus-adventure-kit-solar-charger

Is the Nomad 10 stuff waterproof? The PowerFilm Rollable panels are. They also have foldable panels that are water resistant.

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/

Lots of YouTube videos on the stuff.

Powerfilm works after being shot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1LqmxTElq8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's a review of one of their small foldable models:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBDOhaEDMNk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers!

Spokes
03-07-2012, 20:43
I just found out the unit is not waterproof. Bummer.