PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for AT thru hike foot wear

sailorman50
01-19-2012, 17:20
shoes, socks, sock liners?

Juice
01-19-2012, 18:42
I'll be wearing trail runners and bringing 2 pair of hiking socks along with a separate pair of sleeping socks. I've never used sock liners.

TOMP
01-19-2012, 18:56
I have been running with the seal skin socks for a few weeks and so far feels the same as my old wool socks. and they are 100 percent water proof.

Spokes
01-19-2012, 19:05
Footwear recommendations? It ain't that easy.

Summit
01-19-2012, 19:07
There are a ton of threads on socks and shoes. "Search" is a good friend to have here @ WB. :)
Of course there are almost as many opinions and options as there are threads about them. :)
Pick your socks, get them and head for a reputable outfitter. Shoes are all about what fits and makes your feet happy.

malowitz
01-19-2012, 19:09
You're going to get a lot of input or a lot of - go look at other hikers' gear lists comment. this is what I wore and worked for me in 2010:

Merrel Moab Ventilators, no goretex
Darn Tough Merino Cushion socks

No liners at all. I had seal Skinz with me in the beginning and never wore them. They're waterproof but not breathable. I would not want to wear them all day to hike.

Don H
01-19-2012, 21:24
TOMP, have you walked in water with those Sealskinz? Mine leaked like a sieve.

bigcranky
01-19-2012, 21:28
Trail runners that fit well. Waterproof/breathable for an early start, mesh later on. Wool socks, 2 pairs for hiking, a thicker pair for sleep. That works for me, anyway.

jlo
01-19-2012, 21:30
For my hike last year, I used Oboz shoes, 2 pair of "smart wool" socks, and ankle gators. The Oboz were great shoes! I used two pair of socks so I could switch out when one got wet or really dirty. I found I got the worst blisters and sores on my feet when dirt got in there, so I invested in some gators and it really cut down on the foot issues.

sailorman50
01-19-2012, 22:37
whats the opinion on salomon XA pro 3D mid GTX?

Spokes
01-19-2012, 23:24
You'll bust your butt in those Solomon's. Soles are way too slick...... No grip.

Papa D
01-19-2012, 23:27
Check out the LaSportiva line. I like these:

www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/hikingbackpacking/fc-eco-2.0-gtx

I (http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/hikingbackpacking/fc-eco-2.0-gtx)'ve put about 400 miles each on two pairs

TOMP
01-20-2012, 00:17
TOMP, have you walked in water with those Sealskinz? Mine leaked like a sieve.

Yes and I submerged them too. 100 percent waterproof.

flatfeet
01-20-2012, 02:00
It really depends on what you are rocking on your back. If you are carrying some heavy loads, more than say 35 lbs, I would go with
light hiking boots. Trail runners for lighter loads. The thing that is really important is selecting the right type of footwear for your foot.
If you are a neutral runner, get neutral running shoes. If you under/over pronate select the appropriate shoes. If you mess that up you are
in a world of hurt.

You will figure it out on the trail. So don't worry too much if you pick wrong. Just don't make the mistake of using the same shoes
after you have continuous foot pain. Your feet are never supposed to hurt. So if they do, it is an immediate sign that something is wrong.

For what it is worth, I use Mizuno trail runners with an insole for for low arches. For socks I use 3 pair coolmax/merino blend light
hiking socks. Your feet will get wet with gortex and without it. Any time after April I doubt your feet will get cold.

This is the hardest part of hiking. It can take years to figure out the right system for you. Keep trying, good luck and let us know what
in the end, worked for you.