PDA

View Full Version : Evernew vs. Snow Peak

Loneoak
01-19-2012, 18:07
For those of you who have tried both, which did you prefer and why. I'm looking at the 900 ml pots. I like the Evernew for the reason if you want to add a larger or smaller pot later on for family camping, it all fits together.
Cons and Pros ?

thanks

Praha4
01-19-2012, 21:03
I've used both types and like both, but my favorite is still the Snowpeak Mini-Solo titanium cookset. Has a 10 oz cup and 28 oz pot with small lid, fold-away handles, and a Giga power fuel canister fits inside. Weighs 5.5 oz. I think I've seen other nesting pot/cup sets sold by both Snowpeak and Evernew.

Camping Dave
01-19-2012, 21:56
Evernew is better.

I like that their lids fit inside the lip around the top, instead of hanging over the edge and letting condensed steam run down the outside of your pot like Snow Peak. Evernew spent the extra fifty cents build it right. Snow Peak cheaped out.

bigcranky
01-20-2012, 10:51
I have a bunch of Snow Peak pots/mugs, and they all nest together just fine. The lids of the larger pots are designed to be bowls or fry pans, so they do hang over the edge, but I just use them upside down and they work fine. Makes a nice bowl to share a meal - one person gets the lid as a bowl, the other eats from the pot.

Tenderheart
01-20-2012, 13:09
For those of you who have tried both, which did you prefer and why. I'm looking at the 900 ml pots. I like the Evernew for the reason if you want to add a larger or smaller pot later on for family camping, it all fits together.
Cons and Pros ?

thanks

Whichever one has a sealing lid. The sealed pot does much of your cooking, but this is impossible if all of the heat escapes thru the molded pour spout.

Hikes in Rain
01-20-2012, 21:14
Evernew, because it fits my little Supercat stove better.

fiddlehead
01-20-2012, 22:47
I've used my Ever-new handle and lid on different pots I've worn out for 6 different thru's now.
I've worn about 3 pots out but never the handle, so I just keep finding another one that fits the lid (lightweight, with little space), and pop-rivet the handle onto the new aluminum pot.

Works for me.
1.3 litres is what it came with. I like that size or perhaps 1.5.

Camping Dave
01-20-2012, 23:15
The sealed pot does much of your cooking, but this is impossible if all of the heat escapes thru the molded pour spout.

Lucky for us most of the heat is absorbed by the water!

Loneoak
02-01-2012, 19:00
Is the non stick, really that much better if your going to cook in it ?

Hikes in Rain
02-01-2012, 20:06
As much as I dislike nonstick, yes, it is. For some reason, untreated titanium is like cooking on duct tape! Plain water sticks to it.

Loneoak
02-02-2012, 00:25
As far as I can find, snow peak does NOT offer non stick in there Ti ware ? I see that ever new does. I searched Snow Peak site, but don't see it. May just have to go with the aluminum non stick :(

hikergurl
02-02-2012, 14:30
I've also used both. I've also used GSI stuff, too. Between the three, I go to the GSI or Evernew non-stick Ti. The GSI isn't exactly "non-stick" per se but it is considered "high release"....I am not a good cook to begin with and worse on the trail so I've gone through my fair share of caked on pasta, etc., and these two make it easier. Depending on what and how much you plan to eat, some of the GSI cooksets and Evernew cooksets can be comparable in weight, just depends how much 'versatility' you want and price.

Loneoak
02-05-2012, 00:23
Looks like I am looking for some Evernew.....thanks everyone

jasonG
02-29-2012, 23:58
yup evernew lil better. and lighter

Tinker
03-01-2012, 00:06
Evernew is better.

I like that their lids fit inside the lip around the top, instead of hanging over the edge and letting condensed steam run down the outside of your pot like Snow Peak. Evernew spent the extra fifty cents build it right. Snow Peak cheaped out.

I like this feature, too. I have a 1.3 liter Evernew pot. I've had it for 6 years.
I have the less expensive Snow Peak nested cookset. Both pots have a concave bottom, to trap heat. Makes it tricky to cook with oil as it all goes to the outside, allowing food in the middle to stick and burn.

Tinker
03-01-2012, 00:09
As far as I can find, snow peak does NOT offer non stick in there Ti ware ? I see that ever new does. I searched Snow Peak site, but don't see it. May just have to go with the aluminum non stick :(

You can't scrub out a coated pot with sand, and eventually, unless you use plastic or wooden cooking implements, the coating will get scratched and be less effective. Good for weekend use. Not really as carefree as some folks would lead you to believe.

hikin_jim
04-10-2012, 16:26
Looks like I am looking for some Evernew.....thanks everyone Evernew is a very good brand, and as someone else mentioned is typically lighter than the equivalent Snow Peak product. For example, my Evernew 1300ml pot is lighter than my Snow Peak 1000ml pot (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/03/titanium-pots.html). Not that Snow Peak is a bad brand (by no means), but I think Evernew is better.

HJ

Buffalo Skipper
04-10-2012, 16:48
I have both the Evernew 1.3l (5.7 oz with lid) and the Snow Peak .7l (3.2 oz with lid) pots. I have moved to Freezer Bag Cooking, so I only use the pots for boiling water. I now use the Snow Peak for a drinking cup with an insulated cozy. I leave the cozy for the Evernew 1.3l at home as I no longer cook or eat in the pot.

Rif
04-10-2012, 16:58
I like the Evernew myself. Many of the pots come with a coated handle (silicone tubing) to make for a cooler grip. Yes, you can add it to the Snowpeak yourself but like that Evernew already did it. Of course not everyone like the tubing and you need to be careful how it fits in your windscreen so you don't simply melt the tubing off.

I like how they nest and the smaller sizes offered by Evernew. I can use the tiny 400ml to just heat coffee or tea with a little Gram Weenie stove and for larger meals can drop the 400ml into the 640ml w/lid and cook over a Gram Weenie Pro and use the little cup for my coffee the larger to boil water for freezer bag cooking. They also have a 500ml that slides over the bottom of the 640ml. My stove, windscreen and small weekend sized alcohol bottle fits inside.

I know some of the Snowpeaks nest too but the Evernew website has nice photos show what fits into each other in various combos. Unless cooking in the pot (vs. freezer bag) I would avoid the non-stick as it will chip over time, especially if you nest other gear inside....stove, fuel bottle, etc....

Odd Man Out
04-10-2012, 20:11
I see that the Evernew and Snowpeak handles are a lot different. The Snowpeak more like a coffee mug. The Evernew is like a pan handle. I was attracted to the Evernew as it seems to stick out further and is higher up, so even without insulation would not get so hot. Is this perception accurate?

Rif
04-10-2012, 21:03
I see that the Evernew and Snowpeak handles are a lot different. The Snowpeak more like a coffee mug. The Evernew is like a pan handle. I was attracted to the Evernew as it seems to stick out further and is higher up, so even without insulation would not get so hot. Is this perception accurate?

On the pots, yes. The 640ml and larger have the "pan" type handles mounted up high. Might be a bit odd if using it to drink like a mug but for a boil and pour setup they should be fine and stay cooler. On the smaller mugs, 400ml for example they use mug type handles more like the Snowpeak

Tinker
04-11-2012, 00:07
As much as I dislike nonstick, yes, it is. For some reason, untreated titanium is like cooking on duct tape! Plain water sticks to it.

This deserves a :D and ;), because plain water does not stick to it, and, as a matter of fact, you can fry in an Evernew 1.3 l ti. pot if the oil is deep enough. I made some fried hummus last night (experimenting with recipes) and it did not stick. The oil was about 1/4" deep. The cooking was done on my stovetop at home. I would not attempt this with an alcohol stove without some sort of simmer apparatus.

Tinker
04-11-2012, 00:09
Another thing - with the Evernew lid you can place a rock on top to make your water heat faster (sort of like a pressure cooker) because the lid fits inside the pot rim rather than over it.

hikin_jim
04-11-2012, 00:24
Another thing - with the Evernew lid you can place a rock on top to make your water heat faster (sort of like a pressure cooker) because the lid fits inside the pot rim rather than over it.Ah, now that's a good idea.

HJ

Tinker
04-11-2012, 00:26
I have to capture those good ideas quickly before they die of lonliness :D.

Tinker
04-11-2012, 00:27
That's loneliness, btw: A typo. :o