PDA

View Full Version : New backpack

o hiker guy
01-19-2012, 19:16
I,ve been looking at the Gossamer backpacks. Please tell me the goods and bads for these packs. Thanks

garlic08
01-19-2012, 19:25
If you mean Gossamer Gear, I've been using one of their models for many years. My model is now discontinued, but I've been very happy with the quality, the design, the customer service, and the company in general. When I need a new pack, I'll get one of theirs. The only bad thing you could do with one of their packs is overload it.

skinewmexico
01-20-2012, 01:58
I'm very happy with my Mariposa Plus and Gorilla.

Bags4266
01-20-2012, 08:51
I have the new Murmur, and my girlfriend has the mariposa. I like the new design of the murmur just what I was looking for warm weather hiking...spot on. The mariposa is nice as well very big and ouside pockets hold alot. You would have to be careful with it cause the material is thin. The gorilla is heavier material but much smaller.

rusty bumper
01-20-2012, 10:38
I carried the Mariposa Plus on my almost thru-hike last year. I thought is was fantastic! My base load with cold weather clothing was 16 lbs and with 4 days of food and a liter of water, I was at about 26 lbs. The pack handled that load really well and I never suffered any discomfort. A couple of times I had to carry a few pounds more than that and I felt some strain in my shoulders, but by loosening up the shoulder straps just a bit, I got more of the load onto my hips and all was well again. The aluminum inverted u-shaped "stay" really helped hold the pack in close to my back and got the load down into the hip belt. I really liked the wide shoulder straps for distributing the shoulder load as well.

The mesh pockets on the outside were great and I carried anything that could get wet in those pockets since I never used a pack cover. The smaller mesh pocket on my right hip held my water bottle and I could easily reach it while carrying the pack. The large mesh pocket on the left side easily carried my Tarptent Moment. Other items I carried in the outside pockets were my alcohol fuel bottle, Aquamira drops, DEET bottle, and rain jacket and pants.

The pack held up extremely well over my 5 months of hiking. The water bottle mesh pocket got torn a bit when I dragged the pack through the Mahoosuc Notch, but it still held the bottle just fine. There are lots of hiking miles left in this 22 ounce workhorse!

skinewmexico
01-20-2012, 12:07
I will admit that if I need something Mariposa+ sized, I usually take my ULA Circuit. But a shorter trip,the Gorilla is awesome, when I can get it back from my son.

o hiker guy
01-20-2012, 17:44
Hey thanks for the help,i ordered a mariposa plus today. The pack i was using was 7 lbs empty. Big difference, my back is going to love the new pack.

Del Q
01-21-2012, 07:15
Might want to check out Hyperlite Mountain Gear, I really like my new cuben fiber pack..........very well thought out, waterproof, light, functional.

MuddyWaters
01-23-2012, 22:53
Well, the shoulder straps have been problematic for years for a lot of folks. The extra wide shoulder straps distribute load good, but rub a lot of necks, requiring customization or use round pipe insul in the straps to make them narrower (and thicker). The hip belt isnt much, but if you keep it light you dont need much. the fabric, is relatively fragile, dont go dragging it across rocks. There are no load lifters either. Adding hipbelt pockets (which I have to have) adds weight too and is a bit ..add-on-ish looking

Overall, as long as you understand what you are trading off , you may be happy.

skinewmexico
01-23-2012, 23:51
I think you can request different shoulder straps when you order now.