PDA

View Full Version : BACKPACKER Mag is a love hate relationship and wants your opinion..... Really.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2012, 21:13
I did not renew Backpacker this year - too many are sitting around collecting dust. Anyway they want your opinion and it will take 5 minutes - there is a bunch of BS about the Cover appearance in the 3rd quarter. but if you don't finish it will not count...

https://aimmedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2oB4yBlYMrl7ImU

is the link to the bio meter

I am NOT affiliated with Backpacker in any way ... and this is a good way to weight in and provide some feed back to fixing it.

Don't kick the messenger here.

Lone Wolf
01-19-2012, 21:20
i haven't touched that ragazine in years

Lyle
01-19-2012, 23:21
They must be able to read my mind. I clicked on your link, and got a screen saying I already took the survey, in other words, "Thanks, but no thanks"

I haven't been to their website in years, haven't subscribed, haven't taken their survey.

Oh well, guess it's one way they get the answers they want.

malowitz
01-19-2012, 23:44
The link is specific to WOO. I'm sure the survey is still going, but either WOO or someone who followed his link completed the survey so they already have a completed one tied to that specific code. No conspiracy.

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2012, 23:54
One of my doctors gets it and puts it in the rack in the office. Last time I read it I remember at least that particular issue seemed more geared toward: hiking out west; large heavy packs; bear vaults; hiking fru-fru / bling; etc

Leanthree
01-20-2012, 00:09
Costs $10 a year, well worth it for the pictures and an occasional article on a cool area I didn't know much about. It is entertaining if not particularly informative to someone who reads most posts on this website.

Agreed that it hasn't evolved enough with the lightweight technology that makes ultralight accessible and affordable to the average backpacker magazine reader.

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2012, 00:16
The link is specific to WOO. I'm sure the survey is still going, but either WOO or someone who followed his link completed the survey so they already have a completed one tied to that specific code. No conspiracy.

yea you nailed it.... sad little world over there in Backpacker..... thanks for picking up on that....

Honest I think the mag is for beginners and then folk loose interest and you shoud see the old threads in WB>

TOMP
01-20-2012, 00:22
All magazine and newspapers are becoming outdated with the increased quality of blogs and youtube content. Why pay if you can get it free?

double d
01-20-2012, 00:44
Costs $10 a year, well worth it for the pictures and an occasional article on a cool area I didn't know much about. It is entertaining if not particularly informative to someone who reads most posts on this website.

Agreed that it hasn't evolved enough with the lightweight technology that makes ultralight accessible and affordable to the average backpacker magazine reader.

Yup, I agree with Leanthree on this issue, for a small price, I think there are alot of great photos and some interesting articles from time to time, not always, but I might pick something up to me that is informative. What magazine issue doesn't sit around after we read (or skimmed through it) the most recent issue of that magazine. Don't some of us remember the old National Geographic issues that used to sit around the house in large bundles as kids?

Studentpreacher
01-20-2012, 01:13
I have the iPad edition to BP magazine. It seems they have their favorite brands to show off and favorite people to show the brands. It is a great magazine to keep up with the latest and greatest, not so much if you have gear and want tips and advise. I do have to say they have really cool pictures of trails mentioned in the issue. My only wish is that they review "old school" stuff that has worked for years and not always $400 sleeping bags

Theosus
01-20-2012, 08:45
I have the Zinio digital version, my first year of this. Agreed with the pricey gear. One article showed "shells" for $400 each. Really? A $400 rain coat? I didn't pay $400 for the last suit I bought, much less a rain coat. I did think the mag is good for noobs, tips and advice about a variety of subjects. My favorite part is the "rip and go" hikes, and local area trails. I have no clue otherwise if trail 465 is any better than trail 321, and how difficult it is. I like the public reviews of the hikes, with gps points and pictures.

buff_jeff
01-20-2012, 20:06
As others have said, for $10 a year it's really not a bad deal. I enjoy looking at the pictures and it's clued me in to some cool hikes.

Blissful
01-20-2012, 21:07
I got it 'cause it was $5 for a year subscription

malowitz
01-20-2012, 21:24
I like it. Its fun, lots of hikes I wouldn't know about otherwise. I appreciate gear reviews, etc.

Right now you can get it for $7/subscription from Amazon. At times, you can find Blissful's deal too.

johnnybgood
01-20-2012, 22:14
$12 bucks for 3 years , so I said what the he%^.

Del Q
01-21-2012, 07:10
I stiil subscribe, got a 3 year subscription on barter..............maybe some well-written letters to the editor might wake them up a bit, agree on content, it has just been so-so. Happy to see it in my mailbox but what is inside is less exciting.

Fiddleback
01-22-2012, 11:24
The survey has 'expired' but, as described by WOO, it sure sounds like the same disappointing stuff I put up with for two or three years. Since I was a subscriber the mag contacted me by email and invited me to take their surveys (sent to me directly) about the magazine. It was, I thought, an attempt to get consumer/subscriber input of what they wanted to see in Backpacker. The early surveys asked some questions about that (usually of the multiple choice answer type)...and most if not all had a space at the end to fill in your own comments/suggestions (I always asked to see articles about cottage industry companies and products). But from the start the surveys asked multiple questions about what cover 'you' liked best, what article title was the favorite, which headline should be on the cover. Sometimes, the survey asked the responder to rate which articles (based on the titles) the surveyee wanted to see/would buy.

All in all, the articles were chosen in advance as were a handfull of covers to choose from...the surveys were far less about future magzine content than what made an attractive, selling magazine on the newstand. And so the surveys were disappointing to me as the magazine itself turned out to be. The subscription price often seemed like a good buy but not when compared to what I actually read in the magazine. I too dropped the subscription last year.

I still get Backpacker's email 'newsletter' and I often shudder at the content in one of their columns, "Ask a Bear." The mag has gone from empty content to dangerous commentary and suggestions, IMO. Sometimes I think that my disappointment and others' expressed in forums is because 'we' have all moved from the beginner level of backpacking...and, therefore, moved on from Backpacker.

FB

Panzer1
01-22-2012, 12:08
yea, I just tried it and got this:
This survey has expired.

Pathfinder1
01-22-2012, 17:56
As others have said, for $10 a year it's really not a bad deal. I enjoy looking at the pictures and it's clued me in to some cool hikes.

What he said.

coach lou
01-22-2012, 18:13
I am looking for ANY youth group that may be looking for 35 years of back issues of Backpacker/ Wilderness Camper! PM Me!!!

bwendel07
01-26-2012, 16:38
I would like it but wouldnt pay more than 10 yr for it

gravityman
01-26-2012, 17:53
Backpackinglight is a much better subscription...

gravity

Sierra Echo
01-26-2012, 17:55
Once they stopped the "survivor the scenerio adventures" featuring lunchbox the cadaver dog, I lost interest.

Tinker
01-26-2012, 18:02
It's a good rag for newbie weekenders who want to buy name-brand, non-cutting edge, SAFE, PREDICTABLE, heavy gear.

I quit the prescription in the middle of a year - gave up half of what I paid for it, when they IGNORANTLY allowed an off-road, motorized, big name company to place an ad in their rag.

I sent a pm to Jonathan Dorn and asked him to cancel my subscription. Shortly thereafter, I bade my friends at the Backpacker forums good-bye and started posting here.

God bless them if they've changed the way that they do things, but I don't have the time nor inclination to give them a second glance.

:) (reluctantly).

Winds
01-26-2012, 18:02
The magazine has lost a great deal of its readers over time, and for reason. I did just renew for another year. I look at it like this, I WILL get my $8 worth if I have to crumple every single page to help start fires.

Tinker
01-26-2012, 18:11
www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com) - If you want to know what's REALLY happening in the world of lightweight hiking (I let my subscription expire - I know everything now..........:rolleyes:).

More..........
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_subscriptions.html?id=pQK58DKx:74.97.24.188

turtle fast
01-26-2012, 18:16
You gotta look at the big picture. Without new hikers the sport dies a slow death. Realistically, the younger generation have many distractions to keep them at home planted on their computers, gaming devices, etc. Anything that stimulates a young person to go outside and consider taking a hike is a good thing. Backpacker is just one medium to help foster that idea of "getting out there" unfortunately advertising and cheaper stock articles are necessary to keep the magazine viable. Its a cost of doing business, and hopefully someone is inspired from it to maintain the trails of the future.

Tinker
01-26-2012, 18:36
You gotta look at the big picture. Without new hikers the sport dies a slow death. Realistically, the younger generation have many distractions to keep them at home planted on their computers, gaming devices, etc. Anything that stimulates a young person to go outside and consider taking a hike is a good thing. Backpacker is just one medium to help foster that idea of "getting out there" unfortunately advertising and cheaper stock articles are necessary to keep the magazine viable. Its a cost of doing business, and hopefully someone is inspired from it to maintain the trails of the future.

Unfortunately, unless Backpacker uses computer generated, holographic images on their front cover, how can we expect them to get the attention of our "younger generation"?
This might tie in to the BSA thread, but, really - who needs a magazine to motivate the young of OUR generation to discover the outdoors?

It's up to US to show young people the healing nature of the outdoors, to show it as a restorative source of peace to the soul.

Here - http://www.theopenscroll.com/oneManAwake.htm

If anyone here would like to buy a subscription to awaken the youth of our time to our natural heritage, it should be with a group that shares their values.

There's only so much you can do, however. Do it well. :)

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 18:40
I got a subscriptions this year for x-mas,after being caught reading it at the book stores.Like many magazines they have to pay the bills,and are not always on the front edge(what people are actually using) do to this fact.Still an good magazine,for those coming into the activity and wanting some information.I hope they continue to grow with the help of the community they serve.

Tinker
01-26-2012, 19:04
I wonder if the day will come when an online mag. will pay to place a glossy cover and brief description of what their online mag. offers at your local pharmacy, book store, etc. and if you like it, you can take it to the counter where they will scan it, you will pay for it, and your subscription will be opened for online viewing.

:-?

Is there a job for me in marketing?:rolleyes:

The day of the paper mag. may be coming to an end.

Cyber toilet paper anyone? :D

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 19:10
I wonder if the day will come when an online mag. will pay to place a glossy cover and brief description of what their online mag. offers at your local pharmacy, book store, etc. and if you like it, you can take it to the counter where they will scan it, you will pay for it, and your subscription will be opened for online viewing.

:-?

Is there a job for me in marketing?:rolleyes:

The day of the paper mag. may be coming to an end.

Cyber toilet paper anyone? :DYes Tinker I think it will be made available.But what I'm wondering is where to tear the little hole?;)

Tinker
01-26-2012, 19:19
Yes Tinker I think it will be made available.But what I'm wondering is where to tear the little hole?;)

You are funnier than I look...........? Wait - did I say what I thought I said??:confused:

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 19:20
You are funnier than I look...........? Wait - did I say what I thought I said??:confused:Probably not.......wait what?;)

malowitz
01-31-2012, 00:54
Sale/special going on now:

http://www.tanga.com/products/backpacker-magazine-subscription--21
use coupon code WOOT to get it for $3.99/year.

Tanga deals are usually 12 or 24 hours so I don't know how long this one will last.

RetroGear
01-31-2012, 02:01
So here we are, an hour and 10 minutes after the previous post ... only a marginally so-so magazine, but for under $4, sure ... so I clicked on the link and it said $29.99 (but with free shipping).

Umm, I think not.

RetroGear
01-31-2012, 02:17
OK, so I'm an idiot. It turns out that you can indeed get the subscription for $3.99 a year, but you have to enter the magic code referenced above. You also have to provide your telephone number ... so I gave them a number that hasn't been current for a couple of years.

Sailing_Faith
01-31-2012, 03:00
Sale/special going on now:

http://www.tanga.com/products/backpacker-magazine-subscription--21
use coupon code WOOT to get it for $3.99/year.

Tanga deals are usually 12 or 24 hours so I don't know how long this one will last.

Thanks man.

I had gotten the $12 deal in the mail, and was thinking of doing it...I appreciate your posting this.

Jim Adams
01-31-2012, 10:18
I hate cyber mail and subscriptions and will never read them. I like having the magazine in my hands to read. Sure I like trees and the paper mag uses trees but your (and my) computer use electricity which is just as large if not larger carbon footprint. I am on my computer only once a day to check email, at times purchase items on ebay or sac and about once or twice a week check out whiteblaze. OTOH, I can use my magazine for reference for years and there is no further energy use.
Also, I am not interested in the ultralight backpacking reads. Others may like the equipment but I have found thru use that they don't work as well, don't hold up and aren't as comfortable as the "normal" backpacking gear....just my opinion.

geek

geek

keepinitsimple
01-31-2012, 11:14
If my daughter was not selling them for Girl Scouts, and neede so many subscriptions for her patch, I would not have touched it. Maybe I am just jelous b/c I can't afford the trips they talk about. Maybe I am out of my element, or does that element really exist? Is it just a construct of Backpacker Mag?

Sailing_Faith
01-31-2012, 11:17
Help me out here. I used to subscribe to 'Outside' back in the 80s (before it became just another 'men's health... AKA 'Vogue for males') :(

IIRC, they spun off a magazine at some point that was targeted at hikers. Anyone recall what it was?

Tuckahoe
02-02-2012, 21:17
I like the magazine alright, but whats been pissing me off mostly is that for the last three issues they have not sent me a copy. I have to contact their customer service and ask that the current issue be mailed out to me.

Wise Old Owl
02-06-2012, 21:43
I am starting to like the info on the web better - old stuff anew -

Del Q
02-06-2012, 22:01
I think that I like it just because it always puts a smile on my face coming out of the mailbox in that it is aligned with my favorite hobby. The content is so-so, they could definitely improve there. We all learn a TON more on sites like WB vs publications like Backpacker Magazine. Not sure how willing they are to change????

It also reminds me that there are more places to see than one can ever get to..................................

Wise Old Owl
02-09-2012, 22:22
After working for years with my personal favorite mag...they can only go so far and then they are very afraid of loosing the base. Hard to belive but this is why a detailed good article about UL is not incuded because they would loose funding from major ads and not the cottage stuff.

I think they have it wrong and I am sure its been through the wringer.... but they are not willing to test this... because of letters from folk that probably don't subscribe.

coach lou
02-09-2012, 22:46
The beautiful pictures of faces and places every month are worth the subsciption. At least once every couple months there's an article of somewhere I've been.
STILL no takers to any youth paramilitary groups for that collection of 35 years of Backpacker/Wilderness Camper!

Wise Old Owl
02-09-2012, 22:54
well there we agree.

coach lou
02-09-2012, 23:00
as we seem to... oh Wise One.

Rayo
02-13-2012, 14:15
All magazine and newspapers are becoming outdated with the increased quality of blogs and youtube content. Why pay if you can get it free?

Agreed; however, there's just something about holding a magazine on the crapper or in a jacuzzi that will never be usurped by an e-reader.

julianne2saw
02-13-2012, 17:40
I am a long standing member of WARMSHOWERS.ORG and may be up for many months in the catskills not that far fromt he trail and would like to possibly volunteer to help the hikers, but am not sure how to post that sort of thing on this website. I am from queens originally and my long walking days are getting behind me but i was on the trail two years ago in Blood mountain and Wasili yi in georgia and stayed at the Hiker Hostel there. Perhaps you can give me some info or direct me to where i could post this?? thanks Julianne I know there was a very recent feb 13th 2012 murder in the trail and I didnt feel particularly safe but like i said , i am from nyc , etc. I will be long term camping on some land i have up near delhi ny and would like to find some drivers/share expenses type folks to come back with me in the fall or go up with me from nw florida. So if you have any ideas?? Thanks J 850 910 2674 I am a usually quiet non smoker who just loves the LAND and always have.

takethisbread
02-13-2012, 19:54
It's fine. If you are looking for real gear reviews and not cheerleading you come here. But for beautiful pics and inspiration, Backpacker does the job. It has nothing negative to say ever so it's credibility is always suspect , but it's given me ideas for hikes and kept my mind stirring in a long cold winter or two

Maryelle
02-13-2012, 20:35
As someone who never hiked before my husband's retirement, my first issue of Backpacker 17 years ago introduced me to a wonderful activity that I had never even considered. I used to wonder why it made sense to put a heavy backpack on your back and carry it up mountains. Backpacker lit a fire in my imagination that hasn't yet gone out. Now we have covered almost a 3rd of the AT and hope to be able to continue. My biggest problem with the magazine is the increasingly small print (or is it my aging eyesight?)

Lone Wolf
02-13-2012, 21:03
My biggest problem with the magazine is the increasingly small print (or is it my aging eyesight?)
it's small so they can fit the HUGE SUV ads and such. BP is so not green. they're always here at trail days givin' out plastic junk

rocketsocks
02-17-2012, 09:02
Good customer service:I had yet to receive my march issue,and it has been in the stores for a while now so I wrote them a E-mail 4 days ago.My copy showed up yesterday.Kudos!