PDA

View Full Version : We are planning to do a hike through the Smoky Mountains.?

kisti
01-19-2012, 21:47
First, which way is easier, the Appalachian Trail from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap, or the reverse? Second, if we decide to do only half the AT in the park, which part, north or south, will give us the best feel for the GSMNP? Bottom line is we want to do a 3 to 5 day hike in the GSMNP around May or June. Any suggestions about some other 4/5 day loop hike in the park will be appreciated. Also, best books, maps, advice, etc.??? Thanks

JustADude
01-19-2012, 22:40
I hear you will also need to get something like a back country pass/approval/registration. There is probaly some info on that floating around on the site.

Slo-go'en
01-19-2012, 22:48
You need to make reservations to stay at a shelters and you must stay at a shelter.

The south section (fonanna to NFG) is quite different than the north section (NFG to DPG). The southern section has more up and down and wide ridges, while the north end is somewhat more level with a lot of narrow, almost knife edge ridge walk. Either way, it is easier to start at NFG (New Found Gap) then it is from the end points. Starting at the gap, you don't have to do a big climb first thing. As for which end is better, I kinda like the north end.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-19-2012, 23:01
If you post your hiking abilities and experience you may get some more specific answers.
Some people hike the AT through the park in 2 days and others may take a week and get a resupply at Newfound.
If you do the AT you need to think about a shuttle. Its a decent drive from Davenport to Fontana.

atj_Hiker
01-20-2012, 00:00
I've hiked both with my boys & recommend the North section over the South. I did a 4 day hike from Cosby campground to IceWater Spring shelter, Mt Leconte & down Rainbow Falls trail. If you have someone that is older & not in great shape, they could meet you at newfound gap & hike to LeConte & down Rainbow falls. Here's a website I used to look for any gps coordinates of trails, landmarks, shelters, etc... This makes it more interesting if you have a gps with these coordinates programmed in advance.
http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/gsmnp/mrsid.php?res=0&image.x=223&image.y=158&oldx=3611&oldy=2144
Here's a good website for the Appalachian Trail
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map
Enjoy the trip!

Rasty
01-22-2012, 02:38
For maps go to Trails Illustrated by National Geographic. They are great for planning a GSMNP hike. I really liked the lakeshore trail. You could make a loop with the AT work with it. You can also get picked up along the lakeshore trail by the Fontana Marina for around $50 if you did a AT hike to Clingmans Dome then down the Forney creek trail to the Lakeshore trail.

First, which way is easier, the Appalachian Trail from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap, or the reverse? Second, if we decide to do only half the AT in the park, which part, north or south, will give us the best feel for the GSMNP? Bottom line is we want to do a 3 to 5 day hike in the GSMNP around May or June. Any suggestions about some other 4/5 day loop hike in the park will be appreciated. Also, best books, maps, advice, etc.??? Thanks

brian039
01-22-2012, 14:35
Davenport Gap to Fontana would be slightly easier than the reverse. Any other time of year I would say the Northern half of the Smokies is the way to go but during May the wildflowers on the Southern end are more abundant. Tough call. Loops are difficult to find in the Smokies but it can be done and will be a complicated series of trails. Get the Trails Illustrated map and pick something that includes mainly ridge-walking.

kevperro
01-22-2012, 17:10
I've only done the north in winter but I'd aim for more than just the AT. Do a loop anywhere in the Park and if you want the physical challenge start low and work you way up to the AT and loop back down. I live out west now and it has been a decade since hiking in the Smokies but I always started from the TN side. Did several trips starting out in Cades Cove and planning loops that brought me back to the car.

HeartFire
01-22-2012, 17:42
Unless you really have your mind set on doing the AT, there are much nicer sections of the GSMNP to hike than the AT

stonedflea
01-23-2012, 04:06
i did the smokies in 4 days, and i would recommend the northern section over the southern section any day. don't miss charlie's bunion. :)

Duramax22
01-30-2012, 14:05
Charles bunion is cool, alum caves, mt leconte, chimney tops, clingmans dome, rainbow falls, thunderhead mtn/rocky top/spence field cades cove area all pretty cool places to plan a hike thru. All depends what your looking to get out of your hike, falls? summits? balds? challenge? historic places? fishing? solitude? Once you decide what you wanna see and do get yourself a trails illustrated map and a calculator and plan a trip. There are tons of loops in the smokies alot better than the at thru gsmnp. Dont forget to reserve shelters and campsites. You can call 30 days ahead of your stay night date to reserve. Youll also need a backcountry pass you can obtain from the visitor centers. Be prepared they will most likely wanna see your plans.