PDA

View Full Version : CDT or A.T. again?

wrongway_08
01-20-2012, 08:20
Was going to do the CDT next year but now am thinking about doing the A.T. again. Only this time doing it North bound and then turning around and doing it Southbound. Was thinking it would be cool to try and get a elementary school to follow the trip by internet in the classroom. What do you all think?

Ender
01-20-2012, 09:20
I'd choose the CDT over a re-hike of the AT.

TOMP
01-20-2012, 13:17
why not cdt and at again? If your gonna transferse the AT it seems like you have some time.

Kerosene
01-20-2012, 13:22
Do the AT NOBO if you crave the camaraderie. Do the CDT if you crave the challenge. From your Maryland home you can get to a number of memorable AT sections for long weekend section hikes.

Miner
01-20-2012, 14:13
I don't understand redoing any of the long trails before hiking the other ones first. But that may be just me.

How about you do the AT NOBO in an early season hike (say Feb-June) and then jump over to the CDT and do a SOBO trip. That way you can hike for most of the year and have your AT and the CDT too.

BrianLe
01-20-2012, 16:08
As Kerosene said, I think it boils down to why you want to hike, what you're looking to get out of it. Very different trail experiences. While both are "hiking", for me it's a little like asking if you would rather have apple pie or broccoli. Yes, they're both foods, but ...

Mismatch
01-20-2012, 16:22
If it was me, I would do the CDT

Ewker
01-20-2012, 16:38
why not the PCT?

Sly
01-20-2012, 16:38
I think that since you're even considering doing the AT again over the CDT, shows you may not be ready to hike the latter.

Tinker
01-20-2012, 17:17
Do the CDT. There might be more snakes to handle :D.

bamboo bob
01-20-2012, 19:01
I'll be starting my third AT this year, I've done the PCT too and the FT twice as well. I want to do the CDT but being an old guy I don't feel like doing it alone. I may just go in 2013 and see how it works out. It's not being unready I don't think. But more like too lazy. It seems like a lot of planning. If a couple of old guys would plan I'll join up. Just point me in the right direction and I'll do my twenty miles. As far as I can tell the CDT has only three states with done trail and the rest is a lot of worry walking. The AT is user friendly. Just pick up your pack and go! No logistics to speak of. The CDT looks like long hitches and weird resupply.

buff_jeff
01-20-2012, 19:59
I'd go with the CDT. The AT is obviously a great trail, but I'd rather do something different before hiking it again.

stranger
01-21-2012, 09:50
I was talking to someone who has more miles than most and has done some huge trips in recent years, I won't quote him by name (any avid hiker knows this guy) but he said something along the lines of "trails like the AT and Long Trail are different than other trails, the culture is different, the hikers are different and the experience is much different, things that people like on those trails (AT, LT) don't really exist on the other long trails"

wrongway_08
01-21-2012, 12:11
I am not worried about the logistics of terrain of the CDT, I have read, researched and watched videos on it.I think for right now, it might just come down to not being ready for the solitude the CDT offers. I would love the challenges it offers over the A.T. but the solitude would be the issue. That's why I was thinking that a push for 4,400 miles would sorta give me a challenge, and, at the same time allow the social aspect I desire also.

buff_jeff
01-21-2012, 13:32
Why not the PCT then? It seems like the perfect mix between the AT and CDT.

RITBlake
01-21-2012, 14:15
Was going to do the CDT next year but now am thinking about doing the A.T. again. Only this time doing it North bound and then turning around and doing it Southbound. Was thinking it would be cool to try and get a elementary school to follow the trip by internet in the classroom. What do you all think?

I think about this a lot too. I think I'd take on the PCT or the CDT before I re-thru hiked the AT but I can definitely see the reasoning in rehiking the AT.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2012, 14:16
I am not worried about the logistics of terrain of the CDT, I have read, researched and watched videos on it.I think for right now, it might just come down to not being ready for the solitude the CDT offers. I would love the challenges it offers over the A.T. but the solitude would be the issue. That's why I was thinking that a push for 4,400 miles would sorta give me a challenge, and, at the same time allow the social aspect I desire also.do the AT again

fiddlehead
01-21-2012, 14:19
Go hike the HRP Pyrenees if you want something different, cultural, not crowded, tough, and full of beauty.
If I was staying in the states, I'd probably go for a new one (AZT? Northwest?) Or CDT again.
But the AT? too crowded and no scenery.
my 2 cents.
You of course, will make up your own mind. as you should

Ender
01-21-2012, 14:55
I am not worried about the logistics of terrain of the CDT, I have read, researched and watched videos on it.I think for right now, it might just come down to not being ready for the solitude the CDT offers. I would love the challenges it offers over the A.T. but the solitude would be the issue. That's why I was thinking that a push for 4,400 miles would sorta give me a challenge, and, at the same time allow the social aspect I desire also.

Hmmmm... maybe do the PCT instead? It's got a good social community, so you won't have to deal with solitude, but much more wild terrain than the AT.

Or just do the AT again.

Del Q
01-21-2012, 17:02
My plan is AT, LT, PCT, CDT.................that way if I get lost or a bear eats me in the end I have gotten most done

Sly
01-21-2012, 17:42
Why not the PCT then? It seems like the perfect mix between the AT and CDT.

Yeah it is. With the narrower hiking window, thru-hikers tend to bunch up, especially in the south or in most towns. Logistics are a bit more easy and resupply distances a tad shorter than the CDT.

I view the AT and PCT (although not as well marked as the AT, it is well defined) as mindless wandering. On the CDT you need to think on your feet (or while sitting studying the maps) a lot more, which only adds to the allure.

wrongway_08
01-21-2012, 22:01
Yea, I'm still thinking it over. I think it has a lot to do with what has been going on in life lately, I think the A.T. might be a better decision. I want to do the CDT but for the purpose of the hike, I think the A.T. will "work" better for my needs. It just means ill have to do the CDT in 2015 or 2016. Of course if its the right time then, it will make for a more rewarding hike. Still putting thought behind the decision. I want to do the CDT but don't want to rush it and screw up the experience.

fiddlehead
01-21-2012, 22:31
"CDT, it's not for everyone" (our motto in '98)

CrumbSnatcher
01-21-2012, 22:35
will you be hiking with a dog again?

Sly
01-21-2012, 22:35
"CDT, it's not for everyone" (our motto in '98)

Thankfully. I cringe at the thought it get over run by some of the yahoos that hike the AT.

fiddlehead
01-21-2012, 22:52
Thankfully. I cringe at the thought it get over run by some of the yahoos that hike the AT.

Yeah, bitchin about cell phone service and ordering pizza delivery. Fat chance of that happening.
I can't imagine too many parties up on Troublesome pass - or in Griz country

Try yogi-ing from those pipeline workers in the Great Basin.

buff_jeff
01-22-2012, 00:58
Love these guys who think they're hot **** because they've hike a particular trail. Hey, guys, nobody cares!!!!

buff_jeff
01-22-2012, 01:00
We're all really impressed that you've hiked the CDT. It is, after all, the pinnacle of human achievement, the limits of human endurance, both physical and mental.

Gotta love how the elitist attitude has even permeated hiking. My god.........

Sly
01-22-2012, 06:39
Love these guys who think they're hot **** because they've hike a particular trail. Hey, guys, nobody cares!!!!

We're all really impressed that you've hiked the CDT. It is, after all, the pinnacle of human achievement, the limits of human endurance, both physical and mental.

Gotta love how the elitist attitude has even permeated hiking. My god.........

LOL... yahoo, want fries with that? The CDT is obviously not for you. :D

garlic08
01-22-2012, 09:57
Wrongway, good luck with your choice. It's a tough one. I hiked the AT last of the "big three", and if I were to repeat any of them right now it would probably be a yo-yo attempt on the AT. For some reason, that holds some allure. When I finished my NOBO in '08, I looked south with some yearning, the first time I've felt that way on any trail. By the way, I remember meeting you somewhere in VA, I think.

buff_jeff
01-22-2012, 10:00
Nope, not a yahoo. You've been writing stuff like this as long as I've been here. You think you're a regular Davy Crockett because you've hiked the CDT. Classic tool bag. Just callin' it like I see it.

wrongway_08
01-22-2012, 10:55
Enough Highschool crap, everyone here knows that anyone one of us is capable of hiking any of these trails - the ones that really enjoy hiking. None of the trails are undoable or they wouldn't be there in the first place.For most it just depends on what you are looking to get from the trail at a certain point in your life.That's why I'm wrestling with this now, its not IF I can do the CDT, it is if the CDT is the right choice at the moment. I will do it, just maybe not in 2013, that's all. I'm going to order in some map sets and go over them, play connect the dots and see what I think. Still leaning towards the 4,400 miles of A.T. tho. But the challenge, scenery of the CDT is yelling at me.

buff_jeff
01-22-2012, 11:25
Enough Highschool crap, everyone here knows that anyone one of us is capable of hiking any of these trails - the ones that really enjoy hiking. None of the trails are undoable or they wouldn't be there in the first place.For most it just depends on what you are looking to get from the trail at a certain point in your life.That's why I'm wrestling with this now, its not IF I can do the CDT, it is if the CDT is the right choice at the moment. I will do it, just maybe not in 2013, that's all. I'm going to order in some map sets and go over them, play connect the dots and see what I think. Still leaning towards the 4,400 miles of A.T. tho. But the challenge, scenery of the CDT is yelling at me.

Just remember, "walking is harder on the CDT."

OK, I'm done now.

Sly
01-22-2012, 12:47
Nope, not a yahoo. You've been writing stuff like this as long as I've been here. You think you're a regular Davy Crockett because you've hiked the CDT. Classic tool bag. Just callin' it like I see it.

LOl... writing stuff like what?

It's pretty clear the CDT isn't for everyone, otherwise there would be more people hiking it. The fact is, I think it's the best trail out there and offers much more than any other. The main reasons I like it best is its diversity, remoteness, scenic quality and the tremendous amount of wildlife.

Yeah, you need maps and guides and at times a GPS may help, but other than that anyone can hike it, and I'm more than willing to offer advice and help with planning to anyone that is considering it.

Just remember, "walking is harder on the CDT."

You'll have to remind me where I ever said that.

handlebar
01-22-2012, 15:31
Wrongway, If I were you, I'd opt for the CDT rather than a second AT thru. In fact, if I were doing one over again (after I finally finish the CDT this summer), it would definitely be the PCT. It has the social interaction of the AT and a taste of the wild-ness of the CDT.

And just for the benefit of buff_jeff, walking actually is harder on the CDT when one is spending days above 12,000 feet in Colorado. Though, for the record, my hardest section of trail ever was the climb nobo out of Stecoah Gap on the AT.

marty1983
01-22-2012, 18:31
I have heard a couple people mention the lack of scenery on the A.T. I am attempting my first thru in about 4 weeks. Is it true that I will be disappointed by the lack of scenery? Just wondering because that's one of the reasons I was really excited. I live in Iowa and corn fields get boring after awhile.

buff_jeff
01-22-2012, 19:54
I have heard a couple people mention the lack of scenery on the A.T. I am attempting my first thru in about 4 weeks. Is it true that I will be disappointed by the lack of scenery? Just wondering because that's one of the reasons I was really excited. I live in Iowa and corn fields get boring after awhile.

Depends what your definition of scenery is. The AT is probably 90% "long green tunnel," or woods hiking. The long green tunnel has its own charm and is actually really nice. There are also a solid amount of viewpoints, but compared to hiking out west, there aren't nearly as many wide open views.

Stuff like the Presidentials, Franconia Ridgeline, and Katahdin are pretty rare along the AT, but there are plenty of good views such as the Roan Highlands, Mcafee Knob, and the Grayson Highlands.

fiddlehead
01-22-2012, 21:05
Sorry if I started some bad feelings on my quote.
I was just stating what we said so many times on our CDT hike in '98.

If i were to be selfish, I would hike the CDT again. This time, I would attempt to actually hike the divide and probably take 4 years to attempt it.
But, the better likely-hood, I will probably hike the AT next hike with my son.

Like I said before: Up to the OP.
He's gonna do what's best for him.
So, it doesn't matter who says what.
He knows the CDT is different. He knows what the AT entails.
So, it comes down to whether he wants to expand his horizons, or go out and do something he knows he had fun doing, again!

handlebar
01-23-2012, 22:34
I don't think you'll be disapppointed by any lack of scenery, especially starting in mid-February. Until the trees leaf out, there'll be great views all through GA, NC/TN, and S VA. Then as the trees leaf out, you'll be treated to wildflowers, moutain laurel, and rhododenron. Even in summer, there are views throughout the mid-Atlantic states, though you will understand the reference: "long, green tunnel". You break out of the tunnel in New England, especially in the White Mountains and also in Maine. Enjoy your hike!

ChinMusic
01-23-2012, 22:55
But, the better likely-hood, I will probably hike the AT next hike with my son.

I hope that dream happens for you Glenn.

buff-jeff - I don't know what you read wrong but fiddlehead is as nice a guy as you will find and incredibly knowledgeable. He has more than walked the walk and helped me along the way.

SassyWindsor
01-23-2012, 23:55
Neither, CDT will be the next long trail in the states.

Sly
01-24-2012, 00:23

Coming from Iowa you shouldn't disappointed. :D

The AT has lots of scenery, the forests have their own beauty, lots of wild flowers, plant life, wildlife, and you usually get a couple great views per day, but it's not as wide open as the western trails.

Sierra Echo
01-24-2012, 00:24
Do a trail you haven't done before!

buff_jeff
01-24-2012, 10:01
I'd like to apologize to Sly and Fiddlehead for my previous, immature comments. They were out of line and uncalled for.

I guess those comments they made reminded me, in some way, of conversations I've had on the trail with individuals who loved to brag about their hiking accomplishments. I guess the "hiker elitism" gets on my nerves, not that Sly or Fiddlehead were being elitist.

Oh, and Pitt had just lost their 8th straight game so I was pretty pissed off. :eek:

Once again, sorry, I was in the wrong there.

Sly
01-24-2012, 11:27
Thanks Jeff, not problem. It's all good.

Mags
01-24-2012, 12:24
The CDT is the only long trail I'd want to do again. Why? Because there are so many route choices and every year is different.

Actually, if I did the CDT again, I'd do it in two long sections.

Less compromising on routes due to weather, fires, and so on.

I loved all the trails equally for different reasons, but the CDT is the one that calls back to me.

Having said that, there are other trails I want to do first. :)

Colter
01-25-2012, 17:13
Once again, sorry, I was in the wrong there.

Good on you, buff_jeff. It's difficult for people to publicly admit they goofed up, that shows class on your part.

It's hard not to bring up the big adventures in our lives. I sometimes tell people that if I've been lucky to have had some cool adventures it's not because I'm something special, but because I'm not.

They are all cool trails and whether we do one or all or none or repeat some is totally a personal choice.

"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice." - Steve Jobs