PDA

View Full Version : The Whiteblaze 20 Snicker Bars a Day Diet

mkmangold
01-20-2012, 15:26
Part of Paula Deen's new cookbook?

Hikerhead
01-20-2012, 16:09
There's a few that owe me snickers bars for geting my food bag hung on the first try...but I might owe a few too.

J5man
01-20-2012, 18:17
I think you owe me about 10

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2012, 19:26
I'm sick of listening to fat people complain about type 2 diabetes, putting it in the same category as something like breast cancer.:rolleyes:

mkmangold
01-20-2012, 21:28
I'm sick of listening to fat people complain about type 2 diabetes, putting it in the same category as something like breast cancer.:rolleyes: Pretty much like lung cancer: first, stop smoking.

Sailing_Faith
01-20-2012, 22:14
John,

Sometimes I think you might be a tough guy, then you go and get all sensitive on me...

... you old softee you...

;)

I'm sick of listening to fat people complain about type 2 diabetes, putting it in the same category as something like breast cancer.:rolleyes:

Hikerhead
01-20-2012, 23:12
I think you owe me about 10

Probably. I bought a big bag on sale after Haloween so I'm good to pay off my bets.

Pedaling Fool
02-13-2012, 09:21
I'm sick of listening to fat people complain about type 2 diabetes, putting it in the same category as something like breast cancer.:rolleyes:There's been a commercial on TV lately, I think from these people (projectnotme.com) http://www.notme.com/dpca/projectnotmeQuiz.html.

They seem to be saying that if you're at risk for type II that you can prevent the disease, but once you get it, it's a matter of controlling the disease, but you're stuck with it. W-T-F... anyone seen this?

Blissful
02-13-2012, 11:48
Yeah I owe the guy one who made my neat "town" bag. I love that thing...

rgarling
02-13-2012, 12:04
They seem to be saying that if you're at risk for type II that you can prevent the disease, but once you get it, it's a matter of controlling the disease, but you're stuck with it. W-T-F... anyone seen this?

That is about right. High blood sugar kills the cells that release insulin. If you are pre-diabetic and you stop overloading your system with carbohydrate, you can save enough cells to remain functional. (The current treatments for pre-diabetes and diabetes are so bad that you likely will require medication for the rest of your life; however, non-standard treatments (low carb / fasting) can eliminate the need for medications).

mudhead
02-13-2012, 16:16
Mags already wrote this cookbook. I think brain damage was more an issue in his case.

Pedaling Fool
02-13-2012, 16:39
The last thing people need are an excuse to be fat and lazy. There are some cases in which Diabetes ty 2 is reversed. Even if they can't reverse it, it's better to lose the weight and eat as healthy as possible, as opposed to keeping the weight and meagerly managaing it with a slightly improved diet and DRUGS...But I guess it's all about the money and there's money in fat unhealthy people.

http://now.tufts.edu/articles/confession-good-waistline

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes

Doc Mike
02-13-2012, 20:14
That is about right. High blood sugar kills the cells that release insulin. If you are pre-diabetic and you stop overloading your system with carbohydrate, you can save enough cells to remain functional. (The current treatments for pre-diabetes and diabetes are so bad that you likely will require medication for the rest of your life; however, non-standard treatments (low carb / fasting) can eliminate the need for medications).

This from someone who has a GCE (Gross Conceptual Error). The thing that most don't realize is that saying diabetes is high blood sugar is like saying pneumonia is a cough. If the insulin level is measured in a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic the insulin level is HIGH. Its not till much later in the disease that pancreatic burnout from overproduction of insulin leads to the low levels of insulin which is the point where the pills don't work and insulin shots are required. I teach a pretty in depth class on this at a couple medical schools so be careful where you get your info from.

That being said diet and exercise do help but won't protect you from the disease, they may however prolong the amount of time until you are affected by it.

Doc Mike

sbhikes
02-14-2012, 19:34
I don't know that much about Paula Dean, but wouldn't the snickers bars have to be deep fried and covered in maple syrup or something to appear in her cookbook?

xcess
02-14-2012, 21:50
My dad has type 2 and he is neither fat nor lazy!

mkmangold
02-14-2012, 22:05
This from someone who has a GCE (Gross Conceptual Error). The thing that most don't realize is that saying diabetes is high blood sugar is like saying pneumonia is a cough. If the insulin level is measured in a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic the insulin level is HIGH. Its not till much later in the disease that pancreatic burnout from overproduction of insulin leads to the low levels of insulin which is the point where the pills don't work and insulin shots are required. I teach a pretty in depth class on this at a couple medical schools so be careful where you get your info from.

That being said diet and exercise do help but won't protect you from the disease, they may however prolong the amount of time until you are affected by it.

Doc Mike

That may depend on where in the progression of the disease a person is. Or maybe not. An independent cardiologist from Milwaukee claims to haven taken insulin-dependent Type II diabeticss off of insulin through diet and exercise alone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1609611543/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1329270353&sr=8-1. I haven't read the book but I know Bill Davis and believe him.

fredmugs
02-15-2012, 12:15
I think the point is if you do not have any genetic pre-disposition to getting diabetes that you can literally give it to yourself by eating crap food all the time. And no - I don't feel sorry for you. Or smokers. Or alcoholics. Or Whitney Houston.