PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Cabin, SNP

Downhill Trucker
01-20-2012, 19:41
I'm going to the ole Corbin Cabin in Shenandoah next weekend with a group. Haven't been there in a while do just looking for a report.

More importantly... Last time we took the Corbin cabin cutoff trail from skyline drive down to the cabin. This time we were thinking of hiking up from the old tag parking lot. Any experience with this trail? Are the stream crossings tough?

Also looking for day hike suggestions from the cabin. I was thinking stony man. Any suggestions or info is highly welcomed.

Rocket Jones
01-20-2012, 20:10
We were at Corbin Cabin in mid-November. There were some repairs done to the roof but still a minor leak in the kitchen area. The kitchen floor also has a major buckle in it (earthquake damage?) Count on one or two people tripping over it, no matter how careful you are. My partner reported smoke in the loft one evening, maybe there are cracks in the chimney. After that he slept on the main floor. The bunkhouse is watertight, no leaking there.

We hiked from the cabin down the Nicholson Hollow trail towards the parking lot until we got to the first stream crossing. Because neither of us brought crossing shoes and the dog with us was rather elderly, we decided not to do the moderate rock scramble to cross.

Likewise, as we hiked the opposite direction from the cabin on the Indian Run trail and saw a bear watching us from about 70 yards away. Good sized one too.

Jim Wood posted a few nice .pdf maps (http://timberwolf.us/bp/Corbin/index.html) with additional information and photos.

Another possible day hike would be to head back up to Skyline Drive, grab the AT and head north a bit to Mary's Rock. Great view.

Good luck with the weather, and enjoy the weekend!

Camping Dave
01-20-2012, 20:47
google this:

corbin site:midatlantichikes.com

Blissful
01-20-2012, 21:14
If the river is high the crossing after the Old Rag parking can be interesting. There is another crossing on the Nicholson Hollow Trail about 1 1/2 mile short of the cabin that can also get interesting in high water. I did them both at rather low water and had no trouble (I'm not a fan of water crossings), but the water table is high right now.

We hiked down from the drive with a group and I found the crossing just to get to the cabin from there interesting at that time, too. Great cabin though.

It's a little steep to get up to Stony man via Nicholson Hollow but not too awful bad. You also get to do a tiny bit of the AT after you cross the drive and head toward the mountain. If the weather is good, that would afford nice views. Honestly there aren't views from the network of trails in Hazel country. Its mostly old mountaeering footpaths and roads, and many structures were destroyed in the Old Rag forest fire back in 2000 I think it was. But if you like to explore the trails and just hike around, it's fine. Guess it depends on the mood of your group.

BlackCloud
01-22-2012, 01:59
Hiking up from the parking lot seemed much easier than hiking down from Skyline Drive. Stumbled into a black bear at that parking lot several Januaries ago. It was about 3pm and about 5 degrees.

Downhill Trucker
01-25-2012, 15:12
Thanks for all the info, folks!

Does anyone have an idea how much colder it will be at the trailhead compared to the temps I'm getting from front royal(closest weather station)?

rpcv
01-25-2012, 16:40
The National Weather Service puts out a forecast for Shenandoah National Park above 2000 feet (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LWX/RECLWX) in elevation. It isn't fancy, but it is nice to get a better sense of the weather up there:

BlackCloud
01-26-2012, 01:21
The National Weather Service puts out a forecast for Shenandoah National Park above 2000 feet (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LWX/RECLWX) in elevation. It isn't fancy, but it is nice to get a better sense of the weather up there:

Hey, how'd you get that? Can you provide the link to where this is posted every day?

rpcv
01-26-2012, 10:48
Honestly, I have it bookmarked or I just google "Shenandoah forecast over 2000 feet" and the current one will be the first link in the search results (just make sure it has noaa.gov in the address). I have no idea how to get to it through the National Weather Service's page. I know it is a bit cumbersome.

BlackCloud
01-27-2012, 00:58
Ok, thanks. Bueacrons can't make readily usable websites. They're stupid.